Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

IN REMEMBRANCE OF CAR WASH MIKE

Comments

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Just saw you up late posting and wanted to say hello!

Mike often spoke of you fondly and I look forward to somewhere...someday meeting you.

BTW...If you ever need any GrateMate usage tips ...i'm not hard to find!

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • eggbasket
    eggbasket Posts: 111
    It was a beautiful evening on the patio for cooking in honor and gratitude. We will miss you Mike - The Torrences - Topeka, Ks.RibsforCWM.jpg
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    These racks are dedicated to Mike's family and friends.I asked his advice when I joined the site and without blinking gave me all the tips I would need to make great ribs.The family that is the green egg is farther reaching than one would know.
    003-50.jpg
    You told me stay true to good solid products
    004-47.jpg
    It was a quiet solemn day in the Fero backyard
    005-36.jpg
    010-16.jpg
    My BBQ heart is not the same as it usually is,I love this family and wish Mike's family peace and love.

DALE
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,500
    Morning All:

What better way to break in the new base to one of my Large Eggs than cooking ribs for Mike. I had found a crack across the bottom of one of my Eggs recently and just got the replacement on Thursday. My son came over yesterday morning to help me make the switch, so here it is all ready to get dirty (it was strange having a gasket again too)...
    S071010-01.jpg

I started the 3 slabs in a rack, but after about an hour I didn't like the way they had to curl up to fit so I took everything apart and layed them flat. Here they are one slab on bottom layer and two on top, this is just before taking them off. I didn't have any apple juice or cider vinegar so I spritzed them with a 3 to 1 mixture of Newcastle Brown Ale and Red Wine vinegar...
    S071010-04.jpg

I really prefer no sauce so these didn't get any (sorry Mike)...
    S071010-09.jpg

And of coursse the closeup shot...
    S071010-06.jpg

These were some of the best ribs I've done and you could just get a hint of the Newcastle which was very good. I think I may do that again.

I've been trying to think of what to say about Mike and so far the best I can come up with is that it was my pleasure to have known him. I was lucky enough to have met him at a few EggFests and couldn't wait until the next one. Be with God (and Kaleigh) Mike!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Cindy and I are having friends over for this tribute today. I usually smoke spare ribs but for today I will smoke six (6) slabs of baby backs.

This is me aka 2Fategghead and the love of my life Cindy.

000_1843.jpg

Ed Fisher brought us all together. Thanks Ed

000_0937-1.jpg

Here are the pic's I have of Mike. The pic's are from eggtoberfest 2009.

000_0969.jpg

000_0965.jpg

My friends coming in to eat some great ribs.

000_2258.jpg

000_2257.jpg

This day was full of firsts. I never smoked baby back ribs so today was my first. I never had six slabs of ribs in my egg using my ar and I had trouble at first. I made a couple of calls. One was to my good friend Grandpas Grub and the other was to my friend Mad Max. Thanks guys! ;) Here is how I made it work.

With the spider and 14 inch stone and drip pan first

then the 18 inch grid

000_2247.jpg

Then the AR with to two more slabs

000_2248.jpg

Then the AR extender and two more slabs

000_2249.jpg

I smoked them 250° until they were just how we like them! :P I did spritz them every hour with 50%/50% apple cider vinegar/apple juice and rotated moving the bottom up one place every hour with the top going to the bottom. That way every thing cooked evenly. Five hours later we wrapped them up for a short rest.

As we got our plates full of food to eat we asked for blessings for the meal and told my old and new friends that we were having a tribute meal to Car Wash Mike a friend from the eggfeasts and the forum.

God Bless you Mike and your family and friends. May the Lord be with you and with your spirit. Amen

The BB were great as well as the corn on the cob

corn-on-the-cob.gif

and the other fixens like home made potato salad and bushes baked beans. Then on to the banana budding and cheese cake. :P How did we eat it all! :woohoo:

000_2259.jpg

I ate like a pig but then so did everyone else :P I heard word like "best dam ribs" and "i'm full" that makes me feel good that I did something to bring people together in fellowship.

Thanks Mike for being there um-teen million times for the questions "How do you cook ribs?". This is a great place for me to come to learn how to use my BGE and meet new friends and see how every one uses their egg/s.

000_2260.jpg

000_2261.jpg
  • WWSis
    WWSis Posts: 1,448
    I didn't know mike and haven't known what to say... Or whether I should. Somehow it felt like an intrusion to all the intimate memories of those who did know him. I've been reading this post for a few days now and this morning was struck by the saying " I didn't have the honor of meeting him" I have now had a glimpse of who he was and how much he was loved, thanks to all of you who did have the honor of knowing him. I cried when I saw the pic of his folks...so sad...and way too soon. Thanks everyone for sharing and my heartfelt hugs to all of you who will miss him.
  • milesofsmiles
    milesofsmiles Posts: 1,377
    My remembrance is now on the lg. egg. Three racks of baby backs.
    Heavy dusting of Dizzy org. as well as Pineapple Head, rested overnight. Now on @ 212 d's till aft. Church.
    Sauce on the side. Carnivore Robust, Big Bob Gibsons, thanks to crimsongator my elfster, and Carolina Golden Sauce. Sides tbd. I'am 100% sure one will be corn on the cob. Got Y'all drooling yet??? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    This ones for you Mike, Miss you already. Milesofsmiles to your family, Ronnie :):):):):):):)
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    This is one of my favorite shots we got at Atlanta last year. Threw out life you make acquaintances and then you make Friends. I can honestly say Mike was a Friend.
    Mike you always had a smile on your face and thats why we love you.

CWM.jpg
  • cwmsis
    cwmsis Posts: 16
    I love looking at all of these pictures you all have posted. Mike looks so happy. I have to laugh and wonder in this first one if Mike is telling Mom how it's done or if Mom is telling Mike how it's done?! We were always trying to find a time I could make it to one of his events. I wish I had found it :(
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    The first time I 'saw' CWM was at the 2008 Eggtoberfest. I really did not speak to him other than requesting 3 ribs. He was a most generous fellow and obliged. Nirvana.

CWM at the 2008 Eggtoberfest, getting ready to cut my ribs!

scan0005.jpg

However, I 'really' met him when he introduced himself when my mother and I were checking in at the hotel for the 2009 Eggtoberfest. He said, "Hi eenie meenie, I'm Mike McKernan". I was puzzled and just looked at him. At that time, I did not know Mike's real name and he didn't look like the pictures of CWM that I had seen on the forum. After an awkward pause, he said, "Car Wash Mike". I replied, "No you're not". He looked at me completely baffled and said, "well...yes I am". I said again, "no you're not. He doesn't have hair, let alone curly hair". His eyes almost popped out in amazement. I proceeded to put on my glasses and peered at his name badge. Oooops. Indeed it said, Car Wash Mike, Mike McKernan. Then I shrieked, "OMG, it is CWM!" We laughed and laughed. I did not recognize him with his curls and lack of the doo rag, lol. (Spring Hen, I know you are laughing, because you also were surprised that he had curly hair.)

CWM at the 2009 Eggtoberfest

CWM and me
    IMG_1411.jpg

CWM and Beli (Beli, Mike loved this photo)
    IMG_1398.jpg

CWM and his special girl, The Spawn (Sydney)
    IMG_1407.jpg

Over the ensuing months I witnessed not only my new friend's legendary cooking skills, but his humor, kindness, thoughtfulness, and generosity. His words of encouragement and his selfless sharing of his knowledge has been instrumental in allowing so many of us newbies to make progress in the wonderful world of egging. He was indeed a master pit boss.

May peace be with you my friend , Auto Lavaggio Michael. Arrivederci.
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Cant say too little, and cant say enough. God be with you always.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Rest in Peace, Mike
    0b247446.jpg
  • sorry that you had to read that earlier post by the anonymous poster. some people can't leave well enough alone.

here on the forum, mike didn't hold back or adopt some phony facade of politeness when dealing with someone who he felt deserved a little 'clarification' , Carwash Mike style.

Bente (a character himself here) has a quote as his own signature line:
    "Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count." Ty Cobb

I'm not trying to say I knew Mike very well, but i 'knew' him from many years of exchange on this forum, and i liked him as much as you could like someone you never really met. I admired his directness. I always got the sense he was giving me a hard time (on the very few occasions when we got into it) because he enjoyed the back and forth and knew i did too. He and I had a running 'debate' about aged meat, of all things... he didn't believe I'd eaten something as old as I'd said it was, which i'd found in the fridge, and said i was either lying or exaggerating. If you read the words on the forum, on face value, they sounded harsh and abrupt. but i always had the sense it was in good fun. He said someday he was going to cook me up a steak he'd "specially aged for me" himself and see if i really would eat it. hahaha He never had any real animosity about the 'argument'. It was all in good fun.

I'd spoken to him once or twice on the phone, and privately via email about some minor thing he needed help on (a picture for an article he wrote, some logo critique, nothing major), and there was nothing but pleasantness and good nature. I was frankly honored in a way because for him to ask meant he actually read between the lines here on the forum, knew what i did professionally outside the forum, and thought of me when those things came up. He didn't just pop in, write something, and take off. He was engaged, and got to know people too.

He was an old-timer here, and it is very easy for newcomers (who have every right to be here themselves) to take things the wrong way, or feel browbeaten when an old-timer says something direct. Not by mike necessarily, just anyone they see as part of the "clique". there's no clique. i thought there was when i got here too. it's really just a sub-group of people who have met in 'real life', laughed and enjoyed each other in 'real life', and now share this sadness in 'real life'. they meet here too, and talk like friends, and just happen to try to offer advice about cooking on a grill. and although it maybe takes some time to feel like you fit in, mike never kept anyone out. it's a group that cab probably be intimidating, but doesn't set out to be.

an anonymous post by one thin-skinned person harboring resentment will hopefully not undo the hundreds of posts about mike that have been offered in tribute the past few days. he was a real character, and there aren't many real characters in the world these days. some folks don't know how to deal with that, and that's too bad.

but if you had the courage to engage him, and give it back in equal measure, he clearly didn't hold anything against you. he seemed to appreciate it if you met him toe to toe. and more often than not i think that let to shaking hands (even if not in person).

i'm doing some CWM ribs today, but i really would much rather be sitting down with him for that 72 day old steak he said he was going to make for me, even if he said he was gonna make it for me just to see me get sick from it.

he was a character. i have never seen anything like this response to his passing on this forum before, and it is a testament to him. even the disgruntled ones, because he would have enjoyed those too. i have a feeling he would have weighed in and been able to handle them himself...

i'll add one last thing... i never saw a photograph of the man where he was not smiling. and there are very few people who can match that.

godspeeed, mike. and my sincere condolences to his family. i am very sorry for your loss. he will be missed greatly
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Very nice post.

Amen
  • Essex County
    Essex County Posts: 991
    Nice post, Jeff.

sis, to you and the rest of the family and friends, my sincere condolences.

Paul
  • rebecca, that is a great pic of mike and sydney ...i just saved it to my computer and will share it with her!!! i didn't even know it existed ...

THANKS!!! i will cherish it always and i know sydney will too. ..she was really upset when i had to call her and break the news to her the other day (she is away at camp for 6 weeks being a counselor). ..

max
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Well said Jeff...Mike was a really great guy and I will miss the phone calls and the fun conversations with Mike.

Larry
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Jeff, you have a way of putting things into words I could never achieve.
    Very well put and thanks for posting almost exactly the way I feel.
  • tsinar
    tsinar Posts: 14
    Not much of a rib man but I did 2 racks. Don't spend a WHOLE lot of time around these parts but two things are abundantly clear; CWM was dearly loved and will be missed by many. Can't think of a better legacy.
  • hi st!ke, well said on both accounts....
  • eenie meenie
    Max, did you know that you were the first person Mike introduced me to at the 2009 Egggtoberfest? He was more than kind to introduce me.

He thought the world of you and Sydney. Here's some more....enjoy, my friend. Give Sydney my love.

IMG_1403.jpg

IMG_1402.jpg

IMG_1401.jpg
  • oh rebecca, those are great!!!! thanks so much!!.. .like i said, he meant the world to my kids. . .even though he never met sam, he took a special shine to him from the get go ...a number of years ago, he even sent sam an autographed mickey mantle baseball of his that he had had for many many years .. ..he just wanted someone to have it that he knew would enjoy it and respect and cherish it as much as he had...and sam does and will for ever. . .and as i've said before, mike was one of the few people on this planet that sydney ever gave the brownie recipe to, and mike would always tease her that he was going to give it away to others. . .they were teasing each other as recently as mike's b-day on FB when sydney teased him about being on mike's profile picture ...

so thanks again for this pics. ...i'm saving them now ...

max
  • eenie meenie
    Max, I tried to weasel Sydney's brownie recipe out of him.....but his lips were sealed. He would share every other recipe with us eggers, but not the Spawn's Secret Brownie recipe.
  • Serial Griller
    Serial Griller Posts: 1,186
    I first met Mike at my first Eggfest last year in Denver.He was always willing to offer advice and give out helpful information.He will be missed.
    P1010077.jpg
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Mike's Way

And now the end is near
    And so I face the final curtain
    My friend I'll say it clear
    I'll state my case of which I'm certain

I've lived a life that's full
    I traveled each and every highway
    And more, much more than this
    I did it Mike's way

DSCN6611A_640.jpg

Regrets I've had a few
    But then again too few to mention
    I did what I had to do
    And saw it through without exemption

I planned each charted course
    Each careful step along the byway
    And more, much more than this
    I did it Mike's way

DSCN6613A_640.jpg

Yes there were times I'm sure you knew
    When I bit off more than I could chew
    But through it all when there was doubt
    I ate it up and spit it out, I faced it all
    And I stood tall and did it Mike's way

DSCN6624A_640.jpg

I've loved, I've laughed and cried
    I've had my fill, my share of losing
    And now as tears subside
    I find it all so amusing

To think I did all that
    And may I say not in a shy way
    Oh no, oh no, not me
    I did it Mike's way

DSCN6632A_640.jpg

For what is a man what has he got
    If not himself then he has not
    To say the things he truly feels
    And not the words of one who kneels
    The record shows I took the blows
    And did it Mike's way

DSCN6634A_640.jpg

Yes it was Mike's way

DSCN6644A_640.jpg

Not exactly the way Frank sang it but I bet he liked a great rib too. :)

My first Car Wash Mike Ribs were not a disappointment. Actually thes were my first ribs of any kind. I thought it was a good time to start. I cut the racks in half to fit my medium egg and rubbed with yellow mustard and my homemade rub.

1/2 C paprika
    1/4 C fine Sea salt
    2 C Drk. Brown Sugar
    2 T Dry Mustard
    1/4 C Chilli powder
    1/4 C Cumin
    2 T Blk. Pepper
    2 T Garlic powder
    1 T Onion powder
    1 t Cayenne pepper
    1 T Nutmeg
    1 T Cinnamon

I used an inverted V rack and set my DigiQ to maintain the temperatures. The third photo is about two hours in. Finished them with Sonny's Sweet Sauce. I have to work on the timing. With the racks cut in half to fit my medium egg the tong method of testing for doneness is not very reliable and the other methods weren't helping much either. The one I didn't do that I should have was to cut into them and see if the bones were white or not. As it is I over cooked them a bit. They have amazing flavor. The cherry/apple wood smoke is very nice and I think the apple juice/cider vinegar spray adds a great flavor. I will be doing these again soon, I have 3 more racks waiting for me. This is a good cook for cooler weather, our Florida heat made for a very long, very hot day.

Thanks Mike,

Gator
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    if you want stike to see this please repost under his ..
    have great day
    bill
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Mike was a Character I will not soon forget. He had more than a few conversations on Skype and an occasion difference of opinion on the forum, but he was still a friend.

I will miss him
  • Tennisbum
    Tennisbum Posts: 228
    I can not say that I knew Mike, nor have I met him but I do know that often when I had a question about egging he was ready to give me suggestions. I was sadden to here of his passing. My thoughts go out to his family
    gp
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116