Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sanctions

Options

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options

LOL
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    That’s a slow Friday night...

Options
    Do North Korean hoohahs really go sideways?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Let's stand in Kim's shoes for a moment, if nothing else, to stir the pot.

- Years ago, the leader of the Last Remaining Superpower announces that your country, plus Iraq, and Iran, are an "Axis of Evil".
    - That Superpower then demands that Iraq cease their nuclear program.  They claim to do so, and let in inspectors.
    - That Superpower then invades Iraq, and crushes the regime and the infrastructure, kills their leader, to eliminate all the "weapons of mass destruction".
    - No such weapons were ever found.
    - That Superpower then demands that Khadafi (sp?) cease HIS nuclear program in Libya.  He does so.
    - Khadafi's regime is toppled and he is killed.  Not directly by the Last Remaining Superpower, but with an assist.
    - Iran is forced to cease its nuclear program.  They comply.  The new "leader" of the Last Remaining Superpower threatens to negate the multi-national agreement, even though that "leader's" own Secretary of State confirms that Iran is living up to the multi-national agreement.  Threats continue to rain.

Now, back to my original statement in this post: you're standing in Kim's shoes.  

What would YOU do?  Succumb to the Last Remaining Superpower's demands, only to be destroyed, or rush development of the only Club you may have?  

Think about it.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• HeavyG
    Options
    @Botch is absolutely right. The North Koreans have quite logical reasons to hate the USA given their experience of what happened during the (unfinished) Korean War and American actions against many other nations in the following decades.

The language that DOTUS is using just feeds right into that narrative. It's like we have a symbiotic relationship with the DPRK. The Kim "monarchy" needs us to continue being belligerent to feed their ongoing instilling of fear in their citizens and we need the Kim "monarchy" to behave the way they do in order to justify continued military expenditures and the stoking of fear in our own country.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Anus?
    Options
    Yep
    Greensboro, NC
  • HeavyG
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    Going to go a little over the top here on a bourbon fueled comment but get real...

Of course the man is totally logical. Has his brother assassinated, blows up anyone who disagrees with anti aircraft guns, treats his ordinary citizens worse than we treat stray cats.

He hates America because he is irrelevant and jealous. While he might be a big deal in his country, he is tired of being a flea on a dog on the world stage. He has people kissing his butt all day so they don't get killed and his ego has gone out of kilter. The man is crazy- don't try to rationalize his decisions. 

You boys need to stop apologizing for being American...

Apologizing???

I'm guessing you're in the same camp as @RRP who believes that anyone that doesn't like/support Trump obviously HATES AMERICA. 

Trying to understand the roots of a complex problem is not the same thing as apologizing. I understand tho that many folks will always have that "America love it or leave it" attitude and that any examination/opinions of American actions that doesn't jibe with their views means one is therefore a traitor, or commie, or blah, blah, blah.

Enjoy your bourbon.

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    This is not about North Korea as a country, it's about the ruling dynasty and associated hangers on. We've seen it before through sanctions, corruption or inompetence - an economically ruined country can still support a comfortable life for those in power. If KJU has a ruthless security system at home (he does) and a military able to inflict pain that we cannot accept (he does, and nukes ramp it up to the next level) then he can go on for decades. Sanctions will hurt the North Korean people most, those who are already suffering. 

I don't think increased sanctions will achieve anything in the short to medium term, it's continuing the previous failed policy and not addressing the cause of the problem.

KJU is there to stay. With nukes.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    Of course the man is totally logical. Has his brother assassinated, blows up anyone who disagrees with anti aircraft guns, treats his ordinary citizens worse than we treat stray cats.

He hates America because he is irrelevant and jealous. While he might be a big deal in his country, he is tired of being a flea on a dog on the world stage. He has people kissing his butt all day so they don't get killed and his ego has gone out of kilter. The man is crazy- don't try to rationalize his decisions. 

You boys need to stop apologizing for being American-  our forefathers kicked some tail so you would grow a pair. 

While we are far from perfect and continue to have serious internal struggles, when it matters America has made a career of standing up for the downtrodden and not taking bs from bullies and tyrants. I would hope we continue to do that. 

I'm not apologizing for being an American, nor do I disagree that KJU is a ruthless and paranoid dictator; I'm trying to point out that, to understand your enemy, sometimes you should look at what's going on through their eyes.

- Scott "Botch" Boettcher, Captain, United States Air Force Retired

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Woodchunk
    Options
    Bring meat, dumpster fire
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    @JohninCarolina.  President doing the right thing.
    Sorry.  Not up for it today.  Going to enjoy the beautiful fall weather here in NC.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Nice job, John, keeping politics outta your firebox!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    On a serious note I do like putting the screws to the banks and multi-nationals that are doing business with NK. If this forces China to come to their rescue that's on them. 
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    Botch said:
    Wolfpack said:

You boys need to stop apologizing for being American-  our forefathers kicked some tail so you would grow a pair. 

While we are far from perfect and continue to have serious internal struggles, when it matters America has made a career of standing up for the downtrodden and not taking bs from bullies and tyrants. I would hope we continue to do that. 

I'm not apologizing for being an American, nor do I disagree that KJU is a ruthless and paranoid dictator; I'm trying to point out that, to understand your enemy, sometimes you should look at what's going on through their eyes.

- Scott "Botch" Boettcher, Captain, United States Air Force Retired
    @Botch first thank you for your service.

Next let me say I don't study politics or military history so bear with me.
    Do you believe you really know what KJU is thinking? He was born into the isolated ruthless, amoral life he lives, how could we actually relate? Can you really stand in his shoes? Next do you believe the US disarms countries only to topple them afterwards and if so to what gain? 
    Jacksonville FL
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    we should wait til kju can nuke 7.5 billion before even thinking about taking him down
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eoin
    Options
    Dobie said:
    .......... Next do you believe the US disarms countries only to topple them afterwards and if so to what gain? 
    The view of US foreign policy outside of the US is a lot different to the view that you have from inside.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Eoin said:
    Dobie said:
    .......... Next do you believe the US disarms countries only to topple them afterwards and if so to what gain? 
    The view of US foreign policy outside of the US is a lot different to the view that you have from inside.
    After the worst showings since the 40s in yesterday's German elections, it appears that German's are growing tired of the European  liberal status quo. 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    on the outside looking in,  only tried that once =)

fukahwee maine

• Eoin
    Options
    Eoin said:
    Dobie said:
    After the worst showings since the 40s in yesterday's German elections, it appears that German's are growing tired of the European  liberal status quo. 
    13.5 % for the hard right. They are a very long way from power. 

My foreign policy point wasn't a liberal one, the US has a history under many presidents of interfering in other countries, so people like KJU do have reason to be worried, murderous dictator or not. Take the Middle East and Trump (and Obama before him) having a go at Iran and telling them to be more democratic. Iran has a democracy of sorts, unlike Saudi, which has none at all. You don't see US presidents taking a dig at Saudi while signing multi billion dollar arms contracts. 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Eoin said:
    Eoin said:
    Dobie said:
    13.5 % for the hard right. They are a very long way from power. 

My foreign policy point wasn't a liberal one, the US has a history under many presidents of interfering in other countries, so people like KJU do have reason to be worried, murderous dictator or not. Take the Middle East and Trump (and Obama before him) having a go at Iran and telling them to be more democratic. Iran has a democracy of sorts, unlike Saudi, which has none at all. You don't see US presidents taking a dig at Saudi while signing multi billion dollar arms contracts. 
    And Iran used to have a real democracy until the US assassinated their prime minister.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Why not drop about 20 million smart phones, pre loaded with the outside world information with one touch calling all over North Korea.

Have them loaded with images, videos, and information on the rest of the world, and how we live.

That information will bring down regimes that exist solely by the oppression of their own people.

Expensive? Try rehabilitation of a country and its people after a nuclear strike.

Who knows, it may come to that anyway.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • fishlessman
    Options
    england has a history  of interfering in other countries ;) just so you know, a view from the outside looking in
    fukahwee maine

• HeavyG
    Options
    england has a history  of interfering in other countries ;) just so you know, a view from the outside looking in
    True, but their overseas "adventures" are not nearly as recent and ongoing as ours.

• Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    edited September 2017
    Options

"Why not drop about 20 million smart phones, pre loaded with the outside world information with one touch calling all over North Korea."

"God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly." The boss on WKRP.

I don't know that your smartphone idea will be all that useful. Isn't there something else a smartphone requires?

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• Eoin
    Options
    You learned from the best, now we're your poodle.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    True, but their overseas "adventures" are not nearly as recent and ongoing as ours.
    um...they are sending nuke subs to sit with our subs off noko, friends of saudi, enemy of iran ;) partners in crime
    fukahwee maine