Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked and SVed Pork Butt via MeatChurch

Options
JohnInCarolina
JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,066
edited September 2017 in EggHead Forum
I'm very happy with how my pork butts turn out on the BGE, but I've been itching to try one SV for awhile, just to get a comparison.  I'm really itching to Egg this weekend too, but my family and work schedules are conspiring against me.  I've probably only got a couple of hours tomorrow morning to really do something, and then we have dinner plans for tomorrow night.  

So this morning I spotted this recipe from Anova, and ... well giddyup!

https://anovaculinary.com/sous-vide-smoked-pulled-pork-from-anovafoodnerd-matt-pittman/

It's basically an initial smoke on the Egg up to the stall temp (past which it doesn't take on much more smoke flavor anyway), followed by an 18-hr SV bath.  Bonus that it's a recipe tested by @MeatChurch .  I don't have any of his Honey Hog to use (I need to fix that), but I think I can come close.  

My plan is to throw it on the Egg first thing tomorrow morning, then into the bath sometime before lunch.  It'll be ready Monday morning - I'll pull it right away, and we'll use some for dinner, then vac seal and freeze the rest.   

Stay tuned my friends!  
"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,991
    Options
    I'm very happy with how my pork butts turn out on the BGE, but I've been itching to try one SV for awhile, just to get a comparison.  I'm really itching to Egg this weekend, but my family and work schedules are conspiring against me.  I've probably only got a couple of hours tomorrow morning to really do something, and then we have dinner plans for tomorrow night.  

So this morning I spotted this recipe from Anova, and ... well giddyup!

https://anovaculinary.com/sous-vide-smoked-pulled-pork-from-anovafoodnerd-matt-pittman/

It's basically an initial smoke on the Egg up to the stall temp (past which it doesn't take on much more smoke flavor anyway), followed by an 18-hr SV bath.  Bonus that it's a recipe tested by @MeatChurch .  I don't have any of his Honey Hog to use (I need to fix that), but I think I can come close.  

My plan is to throw it on the Egg first thing tomorrow morning, then into the bath sometime before lunch.  It'll be ready Monday morning - I'll pull it right away, and we'll use some for dinner, then vac seal and freeze the rest.   

Stay tuned my friends!  
    This is going to be awesome, play by lay John, I was thinking the same thing. Glad you found it.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    8 pounder with a bit of mustard, using this rub:

Now, truth be told, I'd already used some of this lump before, and it had gotten a little clumpy.  I guess I could have tossed it, but a quick shake of the bottle breaks them up and you're good to go:

Yep, that should do it.

I use a rack with these - just makes it easier to get on and off the BGE.  On at 7:30 and cruising along at 225 dome with some apple wood for smoke:

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Standing by brother.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,737
    Options
    I like those AlbuKirky rubs.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I like those AlbuKirky rubs.
    Me too!  They're great.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,360
    Options
    Can't wait to see the results 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• JohnInCarolina
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Pulled it at around 162 IT.  

Not as much bark as I would've liked up to this point, but I don't have the time to sit around and wait.  Vac sealed in one of the expandable bags:

And into the bath she goes for an 18-20 hr swim at 74C. Recipe calls for 18, but we'll see what time I wake up tomorrow.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Oh man. Following closely! And honey hog is freaking awesome. Honey powder =
    greatness. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Just pulled it right in its own juices right out of the bag:

I used a fork to pull it but I really didn't need to, it came apart so easily.  I think it's easily the most moist one I've done.

The flavor is intense, and different.  I think the rub really gets into the meat more with this approach, so choose wisely.   

Should make for some great meals ahead.  This is definitely worth trying friends.  Thanks for looking!
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    Great post. Great way to pre smoke so you're not up all night worrying about pit and internal temps. Thanks for sharing.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Great post... quit telling us to spend more money on more cooking vessels..   =)
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,638
    Options
    Glad it worked out.  When would you want to use this vs running the whole time on the egg - just when time doesn't allow for the full run? Anything you would change next time?
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Very cool John. Do you prefer this to straight egged?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,638
    Options
    Does this keep your egg cleaner?
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,237
    Options
    Legume said:

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Great post... quit telling us to spend more money on more cooking vessels..   =)
    Yeah, I would have to buy a SV device to do this. I have a makeshift thing that works fine, but the cooking vessel is a crock pot so it would have to be a fairly small butt. Still, I may try it with a 3 pounder or so. My turbo butts sometimes finish a bit on the dry side. This looks anything but dry! If I like the result, it'll probably cost me. =) No overnight egg cooks to babysit and no need for a DigiQ or the like.

John, would you suggest SV first, then the egg? Maybe better bark? I've always understood that meat will take on smoke as long as there IS smoke. It's the ring that stops forming after 140°.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JohnInCarolina
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Legume said:
    Glad it worked out.  When would you want to use this vs running the whole time on the egg - just when time doesn't allow for the full run? Anything you would change next time?

That's a great question.  I'm probably the wrong person to ask that, as I tend to do turbo-butts which don't take that long anyway and don't generate as much bark.  And I really like those - in the end they pull apart just as easily and are nearly as moist as this because of the way I do them.  

So I'm not sure when it really makes sense to use this approach for me.  Timing will probably dictate it the next time as well.  

Lots of things to play with on the approach.  This is pretty close to Matt's (@MeatChurch) recipe on the Anova site, so I've established a baseline.  It would be interesting to combine this with an injection or different rub and see how that impacts the final product.  

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Very cool John. Do you prefer this to straight egged?
    Not yet, but this was my first time trying this.  
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Legume said:
    Legume said:

LOL - you guys are the best.  I'll never live that down, and I love it. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Yeah, I would have to buy a SV device to do this. I have a makeshift thing that works fine, but the cooking vessel is a crock pot so it would have to be a fairly small butt. Still, I may try it with a 3 pounder or so. My turbo butts sometimes finish a bit on the dry side. This looks anything but dry! If I like the result, it'll probably cost me. =) No overnight egg cooks to babysit and no need for a DigiQ or the like.

John, would you suggest SV first, then the egg? Maybe better bark? I've always understood that meat will take on smoke as long as there IS smoke. It's the ring that stops forming after 140°.
    Michael it's interesting but the SV then Egg is the approach the "Sous Vide at Home" book I have suggests.  It would be interesting to try.  The only issue I see is that the thing is basically falling apart after 18hrs in the bath.  Good luck moving it to the Egg in one piece.  But maybe that's a good thing if you can get a lot more bark in the end!  

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Hopefully Matt @MeatChurch will chime in here as it would be interesting to get his take.  
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Just pulled it right in its own juices right out of the bag...

The flavor is intense, and different.  I think the rub really gets into the meat more with this approach, so choose wisely...  

SV tends to make most flavors much more intense. Among herbs and spices, fresh garlic can be too harsh, and SV'd meat is one of the few things that can do better w. dried garlic granules.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,604
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I started copying this cook yesterday :)   ... will report back!
    canuckland
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Okay, that did it. I have been resisting the sous vide train ride up until now. Ours will be here tomorrow. Thanks for sharing @JohnInCarolina. I have now seen the light.  =)
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Dredger said:
    Okay, that did it. I have been resisting the sous vide train ride up until now. Ours will be here tomorrow. Thanks for sharing @JohnInCarolina. I have now seen the light.  =)
    Lol!  You can wait to thank me until after you've done the chocolate pots =)
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    You can wait to thank me until after you've done the chocolate pots

Oh, they are definitely on the list. This is going to be fun.

Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,735
    Options
    Oh damn that looks tasty.

Did you use all of the bag juice? Was the pulled meat too greasy from the fat? I don't know if I could do without the barky bits. Those are the cook's treat when I'm pulling the butt :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    caliking said:
    Oh damn that looks tasty.

Did you use all of the bag juice? Was the pulled meat too greasy from the fat? I don't know if I could do without the barky bits. Those are the cook's treat when I'm pulling the butt :)
    I used about half of the bag juice.  Wasn't too greasy.

I understand the desire for the barky bits, but for generating pulled pork to use in recipes... this is worth exploring.

My lovely bride used some to make Green chile pulled pork enchiladas for dinner tonight.  Yum!  This stuff is super tender.
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    Have you ever done one in a pressure cooker? If so, similar or different?
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,366
    Options
    Wow!  You actually cook?  Nice job!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95