Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Real Deal Pulled Pork- I finally get it (took long enough)

Options
The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,977
edited May 2017 in EggHead Forum
We don't do a ton of pulled pork down here but it's always been in the rotation. It's always been pretty good- certainly better than you could get at a BBQ joint down here. I can count on one hand the number of times I've ordered it at a place here (in my entire life). When I eat bbq, I'm going for Brisket, Ribs, and Sausage (The TX Holy Trinity). Earlier this year we went to Southern Smoke down in Houston with @20stone and @20stonespice(There is a thread somewhere on here with all the pics). Aaron Franklin was there, as well as several other celebrity bbq people, including Rodney Scott doing whole hog over hickory coals and an open pit. We waited our turn and got a little nibble. It was so simple but subtly better than any bbq pork that I had ever tasted. There was no rub to speak of and no bark on the piece I got yet it was still popping with something different.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago when I got the book Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat. I was thinking about this book and how I could use it in all my cooking, but also how it could relate specifically to bbq. The chapter on acid was very eye-opening for me. She talked about food that just had that "zing"- and that was acid. In the case of pulled pork, this means vinegar. I know that vinegar and pulled pork go together like peas and carrots and I've always added some. I just did it because people said to. I really had no context as to the "why", I just blindly did it. It was always good but I was never looking to achieve balance. Just adding to add because I read about it somewhere. In following her lead, I really thought about the why and what I was trying to achieve by adding acid (vinegar) to pulled pork. I thought back to that bite I had of Rodney's pig and thought- I want it to be like that. I was looking for that subtle "zing". I added a little bit by bit until it just lit up. Not a flavor, it's more subtle than that. I handed a bite to TFJ (who is not a big bbq fan) and she just looked up and smiled and said "what did you do"? Then the kids. We all settled down with a big pile and went back for more. It was by far the best I've ever done and very reminiscent of That bite I had from Rodney Scott. So simple and hiding in plain site this whole time. 

I've had it every day this week and it's now gone. We would have normally thrown half of it out or frozen it after a few days (and thrown it out later). we always enjoyed it right off the egg but never really felt compelled to go back again and again like this time.

Pulled pork or whole hog are such large chunks of meat and all the flavor is in the outermost millimeter. the vinegar sauce adds salt and acid to ALL the meat allowing the smoky brown bits to play their part but not have to carry the whole load.

I know I'm preaching to the choir to many people on here who grew up in the south or understood the glory that is properly done pig, but I imagine there are many like me who are either thick headed or just didn't get it until now. It took a fancy cookbook for me to get what generations of pitmasters have been screaming to anyone who would listen. "It's the acid, dumbass"! So if you are like me and really didn't understand the glory of perfectly done pig- next time you try it, add acid (vinegar) little by little until it pops. Then enjoy. The only way I can describe "unit it pops" is that it does not taste like vinegar per se. When all the other flavors get really bright and pronounced, you are there.

I can tell you that for the first time in my life, I put pulled pork at the top of the pedestal with brisket. When done right, there really isn't anything better. Consider me converted.

I'm trying my best to figure out how to apply this to brisket. The only way I know of is the vinegar style bbq sauces we like down here but that is not as subtle as vinegar pulled pork sauce. Stay tuned, I'll figure something out.

BTW- I use Myron Mixon's vinegar sauce just because I don't know any better

2 cups cider vinegar 1 cup ketchup ½ cup hot sauce 2 tablespoons salt 2 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes ½ cup sugar
Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• ronw9471
    ronw9471 Posts: 112
    Options
    I couldn't agree with you more. It's the vinegar.
    Parrish, FL

My Photo Website: www.ronwooldridgephotography.com

XL Big Green Egg
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    If you have watched the videos of the Skylight Inn saucing as well as the one of Chris Lilly doing it after chopping a few butts, you get the idea. Skylight uses only Texas Pete and vinegar. Don't know what's in Lilly's recipe, but I'll guarantee it's mostly vinegar. 

Can't find the video of the Skylight, but basically, they just pour on a bunch of Pete followed by a bunch of vinegar, then mix.

Lilly saucing is at 1:55
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj8M6KOkyw8

I'm sure his recipe is similar to this one...
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/elder.htm

Welcome to the wonderful world of vinegar! =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Michael Ruhlman, a noted food writer and blogger, had a revelation when a chef told him to add some lemon juice to a dish. The acid transformed it completely. Its a game changer.

BTW, get a whole hog head and put a splash of vinegar sauce on the cheek meat. Sharks in feeding frenzy will swim back when they see you tear into that.
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    I'm partial to Fat Johnnies Bastardized Piedmont Sauce. To me it's the perfect balance of vinegar, heat, and sweet. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    edited May 2017
    Options
    gdenby said:
    Michael Ruhlman, a noted food writer and blogger, had a revelation when a chef told him to add some lemon juice to a dish. The acid transformed it completely. Its a game changer.

BTW, get a whole hog head and put a splash of vinegar sauce on the cheek meat. Sharks in feeding frenzy will swim back when they see you tear into that.

We have 3 of them in the field right now but i dont think we will be doing whole hog bbq with any of them. We do have 6 cheeks walking around and I have one in my freezer from the last one. Might just thaw that out this weekend and throw it in with my brisket
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I belive another key to this is that the whole hog or shoulder being cooked still has the skin attached.  This does something magical,  in my opinion.  

I like to do whole shoulders instead of butts on the Egg, it just has a different texture.  A whole /half hog texture. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,221
    Options
    Eastern style Carolina BBQ.
    It's got ketchup in it. That's Lexington style not eastern style. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Definitley not what you would consider a kethup based sauce like we have down here. You can still see through the liquid. 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Definitley not what you would consider a kethup based sauce like we have down here. You can still see through the liquid. 
    Yup. That's Lexington NC style. Eastern style has zero ketchup and Lexington style has a little bit. 
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    Excuse me for this, but I'm a little lost in the sauce. (Pun intended)

my issue is that im always concerned that I am over saucing after I pull. 

Are you saying to sauce it after you pull and let it sit for a little bit before you serve, or sauce and serve immediately?
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited May 2017
    Options
    This is a very popular sauce that has been floating around the BBQ Brethren for years.  Give it a whirl!!

Shack Attack Sauce

Here is a delicious version of an old VA BBQ sauce inspired by a VA BBQ man named Shack. I drink this stuff straight, that's how good it is. It has no sugar in it, so sweet sauce fans may want to stay away.

1 1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
    1/4 cup water
    1/4 cup of your favorite hot sauce
    1 Tablespoon (TBS) Paprika
    1 TBS Black Pepper
    1 TBS Kitchen Salt (or 1 1/2 TBS K-Salt)
    2 TBS Yellow Mustard (French)

Mix well, let sit for at least 24 to 48 hours before serving for best results. I blend it in my Ninja, that's why it's about 16 ounces total.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Great post, John!

I always top my pulled pork sammies with my vinegar slaw.  It's very wet, so it's not lacking vinegar and works very well with pork... especially for peeps who say they don't like vinegar slaw, or slaw period.  It's very bright and has that zing that you're talking about. 
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Yup. That's Lexington NC style. Eastern style has zero ketchup and Lexington style has a little bit. 
    I'll try the other but this was as good as anything I've ever had. I'm good if this is where I end up
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,035
    Options
    cazzy said:
    This is a very popular sauce that has been floating around the BBQ Brethren for years.  Give it a whirl!!

Shack Attack Sauce

Here is a delicious version of an old VA BBQ sauce inspired by a VA BBQ man named Shack. I drink this stuff straight, that's how good it is. It has no sugar in it, so sweet sauce fans may want to stay away.

1/4 cup water
    1 TBS Black Pepper

Mix well, let sit for at least 24 to 48 hours before serving for best results. I blend it in my Ninja, that's why it's about 16 ounces total.
    I've used this sauce before and it's absolutely perfect on pulled pork.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    cazzy said:

Shack Attack Sauce

1/4 cup water
    1 TBS Black Pepper

This will be my next effort 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Great post, John!

I always top my pulled pork sammies with my vinegar slaw.  It's very wet, so it's not lacking vinegar and works very well with pork... especially for peeps who say they don't like vinegar slaw, or slaw period.  It's very bright and has that zing that you're talking about. 
    That would be a great way to add some vinegar. 
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Next time I do a butt I'm going to try one of these vinegar sauces for sure 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Boileregger
    Boileregger Posts: 614
    Options
    I always do a mustard vinegar sauce and serve with pickles, pickled red onions, and pickled banana peppers to give it extra vinegar.

Mustard Vinegar Sauce 

1 cup apple cider vinegar 
    1/2 cup Yellow mustard 
    1/4 cup onion finely minced 
    2 cloves garlic pureed 
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper 
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce 
    1/2 cup brown sugar 
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper 
    1/2 teaspoon salt 
    1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce 

Combine ingredients and simmer for 15 minutes

I actually go a little heavier on the mustard but this is the recipe I found that I started from.
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Great post, I always like the science behind things and never knew why putting slaw on a pulled pork sandwich was done, I just put it on because it was like putting mustard on a hot dog, you just do it.

I will have to pick up that cook book also.

Thanks!
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    EggNorth said:
    Great post, I always like the science behind things and never knew why putting slaw on a pulled pork sandwich was done, I just put it on because it was like putting mustard on a hot dog, you just do it.

I will have to pick up that cook book also.

Thanks!
    I'm glad you didn't say ketchup on a hot dog!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker "Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat" is a really good book. It has made me change the way I do several things. I have been experimenting and watching my wife's reaction to some of the things I cook. The book has definitely caused positive changes in my food. 
    I'm happy for your success. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    I'll try the other but this was as good as anything I've ever had. I'm good if this is where I end up
    Lexington is what I prefer. I have a killer recipe that's similar to the one posted. I'll post it up after while. 
  • frognot
    frognot Posts: 103
    Options
    Great post. Another Texan who only learned about pulled pork when my nephew married a girl from west Tennessee. Usually make one or two trips a year there to see them and their family and have eaten a lot of pulled pork from Memphis to Knoxville.

Was told that Texans BBQ beef because you have to get off your horse to steal a pig.
    Allen, Texas          LBGE, Orange Thermapen (fastest and easiest to find)

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker "Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat" is a really good book. It has made me change the way I do several things. I have been experimenting and watching my wife's reaction to some of the things I cook. The book has definitely caused positive changes in my food. 
    I'm happy for your success. 
    Same here. Great book. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    cazzy said:

Shack Attack Sauce

1/4 cup water
    1 TBS Black Pepper

This will be my next effort 
    Just made a batch- it's in the fridge now. It's very similar to Myron's (90% vinegar). Not sure I would be drinking either of these straight- a lotta vinegar.  :)

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Fun thread. I've always been a vinegar guy.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,035
    Options
    I will say that having sampled a good range of PP that the variations in quality and flavor, just within NC, are incredible.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I will say that having sampled a good range of PP that the variations in quality and flavor, just within NC, are incredible.
    Agreed. I love both, but prefer the Lexington style. Still tangy, but has some body to it. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site