Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Silence of the Clams

Options
It wasn't the spring lambs being slaughtered for the Easter feast - just a few mussels for the paella. Sorry, I couldn't help myself...

As we all know a great meal is about more than just the food. I have been traveling to my MIL's house for 35 years to celebrate Easter with her and the family. This year I told them I wanted to do a seafood paella for Good Friday. I knew the family would get a kick out of it. 
First you start off outside on their beautiful little farm. 

Then all you have to do is build a fire, open some wine, and start cooking. 

Then they come running like deer to a corn feeder...

Then you tell a few whoppers and everyone starts having a great time. 

Even Grandma was interested.

The cook went great.

The family ate this up like it was the best thing they had ever flopped a lip over (it was good). The evening was a success because we talked, and laughed, and spent a great evening together and shared a nice meal together. My BIL said he would pay for a pan big enough to feed 30 if I would cook paella again Christmas - I guess he liked it.
I hope you had a great Easter weekend with your family as well. Thanks for looking. 
Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    Awesome cook and great story about spending time with the family. Great work all around!
    Stillwater, MN
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Sounds like a great meal and a great time with family.  I've never tried paella, but I really want to now.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @SGH Thank you my friend.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    This post is beautiful. Thanks for sharing your family time with us.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @StillH2OEgger Thank you @Hawg Fan Paella is a treat and not a difficult cook to master. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    Options
    This post is beautiful. Thanks for sharing your family time with us.
    Thanks. It was a good time. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Wow. Beautiful cook and place. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• SciAggie
    Options
    Wow. Beautiful cook and place. 
    Thank you sir. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    That's looks just perfect.  Congrats on such a wonderful time.
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @Legume Thanks. It was a good time. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Looks amazing, I've never done paella outdoors or in that quantity before either!
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    This is no longer cooking delicious food, this has become art, from a great craftsman. Beautiful results, that were equally delicious, provided for friends, and family to enjoy. Outstanding post, thank you for sharing.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    One of the best posts I've ever seen. Thanks. Kudos to the picture taker as well. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,981
    Options
    I enjoyed reading this.  That is a beautiful farm.  Where is it located?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @YukonRon @Eoin @pgprescott Thanks for the kind words. @JohnInCarolina This is Rockdale, Tx. It's about an hour away from Austin. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    What it's all about.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Wow. Great post. 
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Looks awesome!

Options
    Fantastic brother Sci!  What a beautiful setting.  Paella looks killer.  I love that cooker you built.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    I wish I had @SGH's money. I'd but a seal and give it to you. 

Fantastic cook and post. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    That's what it's all about, well done sir!
    Jacksonville FL
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options

great cook.  Cool factor maxed out the scale

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,406
    Options
    Great cook and day spent with the family.  Definitely hit that one out-of-the park, especially the presentation.  Congrats on taking the family's Easter  to a new level. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I absolutely no where I am headed next Easter.....and it ain't my mother in laws....
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    This by far one of the best posts I've seen on here in a long time.  Well done sir!
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I just licked my computer screen.  (Yeah it made work a little awkward.)

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• SciAggie
    Options
    Thank all of y'all again for the kind comments. It was a fun evening and yes, I am fortunate to have a great MIL...
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
    WOW!!! I will save this to remind me how Paella should look. I will be trying this soon for my Family as my Dad had wanted to do this (we lost him last October). I had bought him a paella pan last Summer and we never got to use it due to sports for the Grandkids and then time ran out...
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    Wonderful post - and the real reason we do these cooks; although mine never look that spectacular!  Amazing presentation and a great post - thank you for sharing!
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein