Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Most Overrated Band of all time: Rolling Stones

Options
2»

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    The Rolling Stones combining soul, rhythm and blues influences (and others) are the quintessential band in golden age of rock and roll.  In a five year period they wrote and produced LPs:  Satanic Majesties, Beggars Banquet , Let it bleed, sticky fingers and Exile on Main Street.  Look it up!  Their influence on rock and roll and todays music cannot be denied.  I get that you may not like music they produced in the late 70s' and on.  Sure.  But come on, warm up that old turntable in the basement, plop one of the above LP on and reconnected with one of the greatest bands we have ever had the pleasure to listen to.

Nickleback, honestly, with all due respect could not carry their guitar picks.
    Deal.  I'll spin those you listed and see if my tune changes.

I grew up with Nirvana, Bush, Stone Temple Pilots, and Sublime.
    Btw, the bands you grew up with were good because they grew up with the stones, the who, the doors, Clapton and the Beatles.  Necessary predecessors brother!  The list goes on.  Dylan, Traffic, Holly...and Jimmy.  It did not occur in a vacuum.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Btw, what happened.  This thread is sinking!
    This place works in some friggin mysterious ways bro.  The Buffalo is probably a big Jagger fan.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,991
    Options
    Stones - Gimme Shelter
    That is all.
    You are welcome.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bgebrent
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Stones - Gimme Shelter
    That is all.
    You are welcome.
    One of the best Rock songs of all time!  Keeps my fingers nimble.  Keith has some amazing tunings!
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    The Stones are a fantastic band. Nickelback is tearing it up though....

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • bgebrent
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    Youngster!  
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Love the Stones. It's funny to think that in 1990 or so I scrounged up the money and friends to attend a show from their Steel Wheels tour (an album I'm not a terribly big fan of) while being certain at the time it could be my one and last chance to ever see them live. I was only off by a few decades (-:
    Stillwater, MN
  • JRWhitee
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    JRWhitee said:
    Youngster!  LOL

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • JRWhitee
    Options
    Who is Nickelback again?

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    In the Forum Feedback forum.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,192
    Options
    4Runner said:
    I provided feedback on this forum about an over rated band.  Seemed appropriate.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Under My Thumb...
  • Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    Options
    I've been a lifelong Stones fan as many others here probably are. I highly recommend you to check out their new album released December, 2016 - Blue & Lonesome. The Stones go back to the roots of the blues on this one. Best release they've had in decades!
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The Rolling Stones combining soul, rhythm and blues influences (and others) are the quintessential band in golden age of rock and roll.  In a five year period they wrote and produced LPs:  Satanic Majesties, Beggars Banquet , Let it bleed, sticky fingers and Exile on Main Street.  Look it up!  Their influence on rock and roll and todays music cannot be denied.  I get that you may not like music they produced in the late 70s' and on.  Sure.  But come on, warm up that old turntable in the basement, plop one of the above LP on and reconnected with one of the greatest bands we have ever had the pleasure to listen to.

Nickleback, honestly, with all due respect could not carry their guitar picks.

I really liked Sucking in the 70's.  Ironically, or maybe not, released in 1981.  I guess if it was released in the 70's, they could have labeled it: "this 70's album sucks".  Marketing people would hate that. 

Anyway, I had that album and dug it.  I think my first (like, I bought it and didn't steal dad's Jesus Christ Superstar or Hendrix) LP was Heat Wave.

Boogie nights, MFerz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7LfX9Me2GY

Man, this sounded great in the middle school gym on some Klipsch Horns.  Or Bose 901s.  Danced with some girl and got the biggest boner on the planet.  Think I broke some blood vessels at that middle school dance.

Options
    FWIW - She had the biggest rack at school.
    Options
    Stones suck. If I wanted to see the walking dead, I'll just turn on my TV. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    No Stones station on XM. It's a good boromiter I think. Tom Petty, Grateful Dead, Bruce Springsteen, Pearl Jam and our friend from the tropics Jimmy Buffett round out a solid list of highly rated performers. The Stones I love....but I am a product of having grown up with them.  The Beatles....the best. It's all good entertainment regardless of popularity or there finiancial wealth. Just enjoy what you like.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Dinah_Moe_Humm
    Options
    Eggaroo said:
    I've been a lifelong Stones fan as many others here probably are. I highly recommend you to check out their new album released December, 2016 - Blue & Lonesome. The Stones go back to the roots of the blues on this one. Best release they've had in decades!
    Eggaroo ... thank you for the heads up on this.  I found vinyl copy and bought it.  Can't wait to "sit back" play it.
    D'you think I could interest you in a pair of zircon-encrusted tweezers?

Newtown Square, PA
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    What do people see/hear in them?  WTH do women sleep with Mick Jaeger?

Wow never expected something like this. Stones are by far my favorite of all time so it hurts my heart to hear that you think they are the most overrated band of all-time. @Dinah_Moe_Humm (awesome user name BTW) nailed it with some of the essentials you must listen too. I've seen every tour since Steel Wheels in the late 80's and every show has been a wonderous tribute to the greatness of real rock-n-roll. Sticky Fingers is pretty much the perfect rock album. How anyone could listen to "Can't you hear me knockin'?" and not be amazed is beyond me. 

Beggars Banquet, Sticky Fingers, Let it Bleed and Exile represent arguably the greatest stretch of rock greatness by any band ever. I would also submit that much of their later work deserves attention too (Voodoo Lounge underrated to me; the song "Saint of Me" from Bridges to Babylon does not get nearly enough credit). If you are basing your opinion because of "Satisfaction" then you need to dig deeper. Check out "Get Your Ya Ya's Out", listen to that version of "Sympathy for the Devil" pure rock greatness. I could type 10,000 words on the Stones' greatness. I implore you to dig a little deeper into their catalog. Don't be afraid to seek out some live bootlegs from the 70's for some raw, ragged rock-n-roll. 

As to the Mick thing, money and fame go a long way. BTW he is arguably the greatest frontman in rock history.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Stones came across the pond about the same time as the Beatles back in the day. I think they had an equal influence on later bands from the USA. That being said, why has no one mentioned this one? If us old guys can't still line dance to this one, hit the gym.

https://youtu.be/nAkMTu6q2pY

Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    edited January 2017
    Options
    4Runner said:
    I provided feedback on this forum about an over rated band.  Seemed appropriate.
    This is a BGE site so anything that doesn't pertain to cooking on the BGE should technically be in the OT forum. Pretty clear cut but not the end of the world.  If we had a strong moderator they would move it but........oh well.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Yo Ozzie.....take a look at this gem....not sure you can say over rated.....I understand they may not fit your taste....ha, Neil Sadaka doesn't fit mine.

https://youtu.be/3vtILjo26ew
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    the CULT has to be the most underrated band....awesome music, and Ian Astbury got to tour as the lead with two orivinal members of the doors in 2003

I never liked the rolling stones,  i appreciate their music, just never got into it...