Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New KJ Firebox Design

Options

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    texaswig said:
    I don't ever see them having a kamado Joe fest. Bge has the brand recognition. Besides I would get so tired of telling everyone " yes it's just like a big green egg" 
    Someone has to write a country song about their cookers before anyone can even *think* about a fest.  They're the RTIC to the Yeti.
    Options
    texaswig said:
    I don't ever see them having a kamado Joe fest. Bge has the brand recognition. Besides I would get so tired of telling everyone " yes it's just like a big green egg" 
    Someone has to write a country song about their cookers before anyone can even *think* about a fest.  They're the RTIC to the Yeti.
    The RTIC to the who? ;)
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    If those of you that dislike your BGE so much and are interested in selling yours, specifically if you have a medium, please contact me, I will be interested. I will need the original receipt as well. You can use the money to get a KJ, everyone wins. Thanks.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    If those of you that dislike your BGE so much and are interested in selling yours, specifically if you have a medium, please contact me, I will be interested. I will need the original receipt as well. You can use the money to get a KJ, everyone wins. Thanks.
    I use my medium more than my KJ Jr, but it's mostly because the KJ Jr is way in the back of the yard where I last used it to generate smoke for cold smoking and the medium is by the house.  They otherwise do the exact same thing.
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    Photo Egg said:
    bigbadben said:
    Photo Egg said:
    dgaddis1 said:
    BGE had seriously better watch out.  I've talked to several dealers who recommend the KJ over the Egg, and I know one who dropped BGE because warranty issues were more frequent and a much bigger hassle.  If I were buying a grill today I'd go red.  Only reason I have an Egg is because it came with the house we bought last year...but after having one, I don't ever want to live without a komodo grill again!!
    I bet the KJ dealer that is super happy dealing KJ is not living next to a Costco who runs a KJ Roadshow 3-4 times a year under selling his store prices.
    Hard for a dealer to stay in business competing against a KJ Factory sponsored event.
    Not saying BGE has been any better letting their product "leak" into Sam's Club all the time.
    While I know it sucks for dealers, atleast KJ is open honest and warrenties the grills sold at Costco.  BGE just ignores the pallets of grills that magically appear at Sams. 
    I agree about the BGE and Sam's Club and I knew someone would throw it back at me that's why I put it in my post.

And of course KJ honors the grills sold at Costco...they sponsor the event...that's my exact point...they undercut their own dealers.
    Not much different than the discounted eggs sold at all the eggfests and warrantied as new (Some are still in the box). Difference being each eggfest is once a year, but there might be 3 eggfests in one area, held by different dealers.
    You said it...and again prove my point. An Eggfest is "sponsored" by BGE and the distributor but hosted by a local "BGE Dealer". The dealer is not competing with the manufacture. The local dealer hosts the Eggfest and gets the sales from the Eggs sold at the Fest.
    Please explain to me how this is the same as the KJ company hosting the roadshows and stealing sales from the local dealers.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options

texaswig said:
    When BGE started, they told people BGE is just like the old Japanese cookers, and for the most part, have not changed except for using a high temp ceramic instead of clay.
    Sounds like KJ is not saying it's just like Big Green Egg. Sounds like they are saying it's much better with all the improvements.
    Competition is good. It forces a company to choose. Either improve and evolve or get passed by.
    I enjoy cooking on both as well as my Weber grills. 
    But this is an entertaining post but I'm sure it will gone soon.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I think new people will still buy eggs cause of name recognition, when I bought mine I didn't even know or think to consider competitors; but what about referrals from people in the know? Would you tell your friend to buy an egg or look at those new joes coming out? 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    this is a fun read, some right, some wrong and some amusing.....thanks to all, needed it after a extremely busy last 45 days........

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,685
    edited January 2017
    Options
    @Focker

In the mid-90's, my first Egg was $299 WITH the eggessories (daisy wheel, grill lifter, ash tool, thermo).  Then the cover was $17.95.  The nest was the really old short janky one, but it was about $40.  Out the door with tax for under $400......but boy did we get made fun of.  "You spent $400 on THAT?!?!?!?!?"  How the times have changed.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac really put it best. They are not really innovating they are following the age old Chinese tradition of stealing others intellectual properties, tweaking them (or not) and passing them off as their own. I for one do not respect that model. It seems to work for many though. We have many local manufactures that battle these tactics every day. It's the wild west over there.
  • bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac really put it best. They are not really innovating they are following the age old Chinese tradition of stealing others intellectual properties, tweaking them (or not) and passing them off as their own. I for one do not respect that model. It seems to work for many though. We have many local manufactures that battle these tactics every day. It's the wild west over there.
    Where do you think BGE got the idea for a Kamado? 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    bigbadben said:
    I get that, but not the same. Generic thing vs specific ideas. There are lots of facial tissues( kleenex, puffs.....), but if there were a specific innovation within the generic category (infused with lotion?), that would be different. Not the best analogy, but i think you can see the difference if you choose to do so.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,685
    Options

That new cap sure does look like Smokeware's.  The racking system looks like an early CGS model.

As far as Yeti vs. RTIC goes.....not sure how I feel on that one.  Grossly overcharging and limiting dealerships really opens you up for that kind of competition.  Both are made in China, so can't argue that angle.  Yeti can sue all they want, they're profits are still going through the roof as their brand continues to grow.  The folks buying RTIC's probably were not going to spend $30 on a tumbler anyway. 
  • pgprescott
    Options

That new cap sure does look like Smokeware's.  The racking system looks like an early CGS model.

As far as Yeti vs. RTIC goes.....not sure how I feel on that one.  Grossly overcharging and limiting dealerships really opens you up for that kind of competition.  Both are made in China, so can't argue that angle.  Yeti can sue all they want, they're profits are still going through the roof as their brand continues to grow.  The folks buying RTIC's probably were not going to spend $30 on a tumbler anyway. 
    There are grey areas. I'm not educated on the technology, but I'm not sure if the actual process is anything new. The specific latches and such are protected I think. You see what I see.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    The folks buying RTIC's probably were not going to spend $30 on a tumbler anyway. 
    Try $39.99 for the Yeti 30oz. The most popular size. They started at $30 and quickly jumped to basically $40 because of demand. And they were NEVER on sale.
    Now I see Yeti cups at 25% off and buy one get one free all the time. And many of the stores that once only sold Yeti are selling other brands or their own private label version.
    Goes back to the competition point. It helps the consumer get a better product at a better price.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    ^nerds
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I'm kind of surprised this thread is still up and running.  BGE HQ must want to keep it alive due to all of the keen business insights y'all are offering up.  We might see something truly innovative, like an Egg that can withstand having a dog leashed to it.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    Options
    bigbadben said:
    I get that, but not the same. Generic thing vs specific ideas. There are lots of facial tissues( kleenex, puffs.....), but if there were a specific innovation within the generic category (infused with lotion?), that would be different. Not the best analogy, but i think you can see the difference if you choose to do so.
    I respectfully disagree.  I think it is exactly the same thing. 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    bigbadben said:
    bigbadben said:
    I respectfully disagree.  I think it is exactly the same thing. 
    I bet you don't manufacture goods, right?

Not even close. But, whatever?
  • alynd
    alynd Posts: 130
    Options
    I have lots of insight into the KJ world....ask me anything (within reason).
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    And they also just announced a temp controller/fan unit that is WiFi compatible for around $150-ish price point.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• dgaddis1
    dgaddis1 Posts: 140
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    I think new people will still buy eggs cause of name recognition, when I bought mine I didn't even know or think to consider competitors; but what about referrals from people in the know? Would you tell your friend to buy an egg or look at those new joes coming out? 
    I would, and have, recommended people check out KJ if they're interested in an Egg.  Build quality on both is similar.  Better thermometer on KJ.  Less $$$ since it comes with so many accessories (and it's a big bonus they're not called 'eggcessories' IMO).  I've heard (from two seperate dealers) that KJ is much easier to deal with regarding warranty issues.  

I can't think of a reason to buy an Egg over a KJ.  And that's not saying the Eggs are bad, just that the KJs are a bit better or at least just as good while being a better value.
    Dustin - Macon, GA
    Southern Wheelworks 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    And they also just announced a temp controller/fan unit that is WiFi compatible for around $150-ish price point.
    It's about time. They announced they were working on one to be called the "Kamado Joe BBQ Wizard" back in mid-2013.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    dgaddis1 said:
    Hans61 said:
    I would, and have, recommended people check out KJ if they're interested in an Egg.  Build quality on both is similar.  Better thermometer on KJ.  Less $$$ since it comes with so many accessories (and it's a big bonus they're not called 'eggcessories' IMO).  I've heard (from two seperate dealers) that KJ is much easier to deal with regarding warranty issues.  

I can't think of a reason to buy an Egg over a KJ.  And that's not saying the Eggs are bad, just that the KJs are a bit better or at least just as good while being a better value.
    You don't like puns?
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    JFC who cares what the parts are called.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • pgprescott
    Options
    dgaddis1 said:
    Hans61 said:

You don't like puns?
    That crap is not very Punny!
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options

I can't find a good picture of the KJ cap but from what I see they don't look to similar. Maybe just me.

As far as CGS racks, I have an 8 year old one and it looks nothing like the KJ one so CGS has nothing to worry about.

I could be wrong because I can't seem to find good pictures of the recent KJ upgrades.
  • pgprescott
    Options

I can't find a good picture of the KJ cap but from what I see they don't look to similar. Maybe just me.

As far as CGS racks, I have an 8 year old one and it looks nothing like the KJ one so CGS has nothing to worry about.

I could be wrong because I can't seem to find good pictures of the recent KJ upgrades.
    Oh, they are different. They take the idea and designs and tweak them enough to pass as their own.