Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New KJ Firebox Design

Comments

• yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    I trust high quality Mexican ceramics over risky Chinese ceramics for a cooking vessel. I hope they don't find lead in them like the toy scandal. 
    You and Whirly out having a few? 
  • VB_egger
    VB_egger Posts: 364
    Just saw this on guru. 
    VA Beach
  • VB_egger
    It appears that they know their current stand isn't a huge hit. 
    VA Beach
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    When in college, I worked in a lab and (among other things) tested imported Chinese bowls.  The ceramics aren't a problem, but some of the glaze was loaded with heavy metals, depending on the colors.  They were actually labeled as not food safe.

The inside of all ceramic cookers I know of is not glazed, the food does not touch the inside anyway, and most people don't cook on the outside of their kamado so I seriously doubt this is a real issue.
    There have been some major issues with flooring and drywall from China, however, as well as other products like toys.

European made products are probably the safest, if you want to use geographical manufacturing information solely as a guide to product safety.  The EU has much higher standards for food safety.  BPA, for example, is banned there.
    @nolaegghead, there's been a few nights out there stumbling around where I may have possibly tried that lol. 
    VA Beach
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Looks like a summit grilling center 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • I'm sure you could choose to lower costs by going with a lower grade ceramic, one with a lower thermal resistance and tensile strength.  The consumer would probably not know the difference.  

That being said, I have no idea if KJ's using a lower grade ceramic over BGE.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    I'm sure you could choose to lower costs by going with a lower grade ceramic, one with a lower thermal resistance and tensile strength.  The consumer would probably not know the difference.  

I follow along over at kamadoguru.com. I see a lot more shells broken here than I do on any of the brands over there.  
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    VB_egger said:
    The R&D they are doing on a new cart may have nothing to do with their existing cart. It is unclear at this point if a new cart will replace or supplement the existing cart.

KJ sells standalone versions of their larger kamados which come without a cart but instead have stainless steel bands and caps (they look pretty sharp!). It may be that they are just considering offering an option for those models and/or for folks that want something more than a cart but less than a table as Rak says.

Maybe they'll keep the existing cart but offer an upgraded package with the new cart (if it ever happens). Kinda like what Weber does with their two Charcoal Summit Grill models.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,669
    Hans61 said:
    Yup. Another pilfered idea. 
  • HeavyG
    I'm sure you could choose to lower costs by going with a lower grade ceramic, one with a lower thermal resistance and tensile strength.  The consumer would probably not know the difference.  

I've seen many a discussion in the past few years regarding the ceramics all the various makers use and never have I read in any of them where anybody has any specific knowledge of the ceramic materials each manufacturer uses (with one exception - Komodo Kamado, but they're in a different league anyway).

Pretty much just boils down to fanboys arguing their brand is better.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• VB_egger
    The guys on guru have given some good inputs into what they would like to see in a new cart.  The way I read it the sketch is just that. One guy even put his own sketch up of what would fit his needs.  @HeavyG, I feel like you know more about their development than I do but isn't this also how the joetisserie came about?  By asking their owners what they would like to see?  

Either way it's cool to see them openly ask for ideas. 
    VA Beach
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    VB_egger said:
    What makes the difference in the ceramics where you would say high quality and risky? @pgprescott. Or are you just saying that?  Honest question, I've never read or heard anything to make me think that. 
    I'm just messing with people. Nothing. 
  • Hans61 said:
    Yup. Another pilfered idea. 
    Refined 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,961
    edited January 2017
    bigbadben said:

I follow along over at kamadoguru.com. I see a lot more shells broken here than I do on any of the brands over there.  
    That's probably because (cough) there are WAY more members over here.  I mean I don't think it's particularly close.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • pgprescott
    VB_egger said:
    They said it was superior in that email?
  • HeavyG said:

I've seen many a discussion in the past few years regarding the ceramics all the various makers use and never have I read in any of them where anybody has any specific knowledge of the ceramic materials each manufacturer uses (with one exception - Komodo Kamado, but they're in a different league anyway).

Says the guy who's constantly pitching KJ. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 17,073
    Offer still stands, if you want to sell your Medium BGE to move up to the superior product made by KJ, I will buy it, but I want the receipt.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • pgprescott
    Hey @nolaegghead. As long as it's not that chromium hexa.... whatever you call it. Bad, very bad, right?
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,115
    VB_egger said:
    The KJ stand that came with my Big Joe was much more stable and moved easier on my deck than my XL BGE in the Nest. Adding the Handler to the XL Nest did help but it was not cheap.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • HeavyG
    VB_egger said:
    The guys on guru have given some good inputs into what they would like to see in a new cart.  The way I read it the sketch is just that. One guy even put his own sketch up of what would fit his needs.  @HeavyG, I feel like you know more about their development than I do but isn't this also how the joetisserie came about?  By asking their owners what they would like to see?  

Either way it's cool to see them openly ask for ideas. 
    KJ bought or licensed the design (not sure which) from a fellow (named Joe coincidentally enough) that had invented that idea. The fellow that invented it named them the Kamado Mate.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG said:

Says the guy who's constantly pitching KJ. 
    Dude...I'm not pitching KJ. I have a foot in both camps and have no particular loyalty to either. If I see someone doing something better I'm glad to share my experience.

• bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    Hey @nolaegghead. As long as it's not that chromium hexa.... whatever you call it. Bad, very bad, right?
    Yes bad.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    There have been some major issues with flooring and drywall from China, however, as well as other products like toys.

European made products are probably the safest, if you want to use geographical manufacturing information solely as a guide to product safety.  The EU has much higher standards for food safety.  BPA, for example, is banned there.
    Damn man, never assumed you went to college!  Whole new perspective.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,545
    I like the KJ stuff, can't see why so many one here seem to hate them.   Prior to my XL BGE purchase I ordered the big joe from firecraft( couldn't get me one), so I ended up with the egg.  Am I disappointed, not at all, just know I ended up spending more money on it.....but I imagine I would have on the KJ big joe as well. I imagine if I get another one of these cookers it will be a KJ just because the owner of the company seems like he's into the hobby and he's been kind enough to answer emails and the phone when called ( I called when firecraft couldn't get me the cooker) and he fielded the call.  

XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    ryantt said:
    I like the KJ stuff, can't see why so many one here seem to hate them.   Prior to my XL BGE purchase I ordered the big joe from firecraft( couldn't get me one), so I ended up with the egg.  Am I disappointed, not at all, just know I ended up spending more money on it.....but I imagine I would have on the KJ big joe as well. I imagine if I get another one of these cookers it will be a KJ just because the owner of the company seems like he's into the hobby and he's been kind enough to answer emails and the phone when called ( I called when firecraft couldn't get me the cooker) and he fielded the call.  

Not many of us anti KJ.  Read through the banter.  Few would equivocate.  Many of us have big green/red eggs.  But now you're banned from the forum ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

great thread, but I can't believe it has lasted for 6 pages...

hope nobody mentions colonel S - a - n - d - e - r - s

Phoenix 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 17,073
    blasting said:

great thread, but I can't believe it has lasted for 6 pages...

hope nobody mentions colonel S - a - n - d - e - r - s

Oh shid, now you did it.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    edited January 2017
    Edit: hate this forum software 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.