Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Feeling Very Overwhelmed!

Options
I've been seeing my GF for about 8 months now, about two months in I met both her mom and dad. Her dad is an old time Weber guy, I can still remember the first family get together, her dad cooked on one of his many Weber's - the man can flat out cook!

I love that we have cooking in common, I have learned so much from him ... I also have enjoyed watching and helping him cook on his Weber 27.5 Kettle.

He asked me a while back If I'd ever think about adding a Weber to my collection, I told him, heck yeah ... well this morning he pulled up with, well ... this. A Weber Kettle 26.75 WITH a SnS & the Drip Pan that goes with the system.

He told me, 'Tim, your cooking Christmas dinner!' ... Guys, right now I am feeling very overwhelmed ... what a very generous man and possible future FIL.

I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.

Comments

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    Wow....what a guy. 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Awesome gift brother. I still use a Weber kettle to this day. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    What a post, and such a cool gesture.
    He definitely knows what he's doing around charcoal.

You were gifted one bada$$ grill/smoker.  My brother and I lust over the 26, when we're at the hardware store.  The SnS is top notch.

Really nice post SoCal.
    Have fun with it.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Yep, sounds like he's pretty fond of you too. It's prolly some good karma coming back your way. Enjoy! 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    That's fantastic.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Nice.

While not a must have the S'nS is a very useful accessory. I can easily get 10 hours out of mine for my 22" kettle. I'll assume the larger model will go even longer.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    Very nice... Sounds like he may approve 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Wow! Great story! I guess your GF speaks highly of you. :)

Pressure's on now! I hope you have been paying attention while he's been cooking on the weber. Have you considered burgers for Christmas? LOL.

Good luck!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• johnkitchens
    Options
    He really likes you Tim! Keep us updated on this Christmas meal. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Hey Tim - that is one hell of a gift!  Congrats my friend!

I have the 26.75, as well as the the slow and seer.   People dismiss this as a cheap weber kettle, but this baby is a beast.  The grate is all stainless, unlike the rest of the weber kettle line.  It will produce some incredible smoked food, just as it has been gifted to you.  I've installed some probe ports in mine, and actually did my thanksgiving turkey on it, as well as a ham the next day.  

Have fun with your new toy.

Phoenix 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,111
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Awesome gift.  Makes me wonder why he is trying so hard to get his daughter married off.

J/K
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Next thing you know, he'll be mowing your lawn. 
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    @Focker

You going to use the Weber or Egg for dinner?  Seems as though he may be challenging you're skills and equipment...
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Cook it on the egg, move it to the weber before he gets there.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Tim....you got this. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    @blasting Hey Lorne, great video thanks for sharing. Gonna do a pork butt and a couple racks of baby backs for my first cook. So excited! 
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Few things to note : 
    Poppa knows his stuff
    He must think reasonably well of you
    He may be putting you to a test
    He may be looking for you to crash and burn so he can snack on the slightly charred crispy bits.

I kid I kid. :). That is an absolutely awesome gift. Get a few cooks in  to get comfortable with it, then wow them with a prime rib or something. Basic principles are the same as cooking on an egg.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • otter
    otter Posts: 342
    Options
    Run
    Pure Michigan
    Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Just marry her already.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    See if he has a sense of humor, cook dinner on your egg! 
  • Tak
    Tak Posts: 145
    Options
    Nice....he must really like you.....guess you better get dinner started on that new Weber
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Wow... what a gift. Great addition to your arsenal. I say use both Egg and the Weber to cook this dinner for him. Don't let him push you around...  ;)
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Tim, time to step up your game. A gift like that does not come from someone not expecting a great meal. It also the manner he expects you to take care of his daughter. He is a good man, and he sees that in you, as well. Congrats to you on such a wonderful gift, oh wait, and the girlfriend thing too.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    No pressure right there.  Game on for the win.  As above, give it a few test runs and you will be just fine.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Nice catch @SoCalTim..... the GF and the FIL!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    In order to really give advice we need to see a picture of your girlfriend too.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group