Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meat Sweats (sh!t ton o'pics)

Options
The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
edited November 2016 in EggHead Forum
well- I really need to eat more salad and drink  less beer. We all know that neither of those things are going to last more than a day or 2 but I will at least share with you how I found myself in this position. 

As documented in the @20stone thread about him "reuniting" with his long lost love (large egg), we destroyed several pounds of pork curry Saturday night to break in the new house and old egg. We had a bunch of fancy charcuterie before Cali showed up with the "Ring of Fire" curry and flower pot naan rig. 

As if that was not enough, we had Migas, brisket breakfast tacos, 3 beers and 2 cocktails for breakfast this morning. 

Then it got weird. @20stone generously invited us to attend Southern Smoke, a MS charity fundraiser thrown by the owner of a restaurant group in Houston- Chris Sheppard of  Underbelly, Haymarket, and a few others). Ay-Ayron Franklin was there, Rodney Scott did a few whole hogs,  the Pitmaker guys were there, it was quite a show. Here are a few pics of the festivities:

Rodneys whole hog

Above- line for one ounce of Franklin Brisket.

Beleow-Me and @20stone with AyAyRon Franklin

And here are the innards of the restaurants that threw this shindig today. As you can see, meat is kind of a big deal with these guys

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I would like to die and wake up there. Wow...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    No way!  That's too cool.   Very jealous!    
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Now that is the way to do up a charity function.  Of course it helps when meat is the main course and fire is the source of heat.  Great event and cause.  To be so lucky!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Ha ha- just realized the guys who own Pitmaker were behind us in line for Franklin brisket (in the pitmaker shirts). Their rigs were very well represented at this event. 

Also- Dickies was repped hard at this event. may need to talk to the PR team about a sponsorship next year. These are my people. They cook my food and wear my stuff...because they choose to. Fun day for me
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Damn, son.  I just got back on the forum after a couple of weeks recovering from a meat overdose.  Now this.  I need a 12 step program or something.
    Options
    I'd love to go hide out there for a while.... Maybe the next four years...
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    Hell of an outing....thanks for the pic's.....
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options

This is impressive

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    I'm glad you had a good time.

I did, however, have a jarring realization as we made our way around Southern Smoke.  The event was staffed by a combination of rock stars in from out of town (e.g., Franklin, Aaron and Scott, Rodney), big time Houston chefs that combined for their own tent (e.g., HouBBQ Collective with Ryan Pera of Revival/Coltivare and Seth Siegel Gardiner and Terrence Gallivan of Pass & Provisions) and smaller scale local guys helping out the big timers (the Space City Cowboy, the Blood Bros (w/ Robin also spinning tunes on the main stage) and Patrick Feges of Southern Goods).

After a tour of fist bumps from pretty much everyone but the out of towners, I realized that I eat out too much.  Time to become closer to my butcher (hi Pete), and more of a stranger to Houston's many purveyors of cooked meat.

Sadly, I say this as we moved down the street from these two places:
    http://coltivarehouston.com/
    http://www.ritualhouston.com/menu/

I may have a problem, here.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    Looked like an awesome time. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I got meat sweats just seeing this post!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    edited November 2016
    Options
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I like how we can tell how drunk you were getting based on the increasing blurriness of pics.
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    FYI, the meat locker is at Underbelly.  The chef-owner, Chris Shepherd, organized the event.

We started the day at Ritual, which had a meat locker at well, but was focused on dry aging rather than curing.  They also serve a great Bloody Mary.

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Nice. Looks like they stepped it up a few notches from last year even (which was also a great event).

20stone , definitely get closer to your butcher. We all stand to benefit

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Looks like a awesome time . Yesterday my Instagram feed was full from people posting from southern smoke . 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I like how we can tell how drunk you were getting based on the increasing blurriness of pics.
    Ha! I didn't notice until today but all those were actually taken at the same time. I couldn't see the little thumbnails I was using to post but those last 2 are crap! 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I just got back on the forum after a couple of weeks recovering from a meat overdose.  
    I sure wish that it would have been @JohnInCarolina that made the above comment. I would have made untold sexual jokes about the "meat overdose" ;)

On a serious note, looks like a heck of a good time and some great grub to boot. Awesome post fellows.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    20stone said:
    FYI, the meat locker is at Underbelly.  The chef-owner, Chris Shepherd, organized the event.

We started the day at Ritual, which had a meat locker at well, but was focused on dry aging rather than curing.  They also serve a great Bloody Mary.

Here are the aging rooms at Ritual. Looks like they found a Brontosaurus somewhere and quartered it up. 

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Amazing event. Thanks for posting all the photos.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • rmr62
    rmr62 Posts: 233
    Options
    Love the whole hog !!
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Options
    That looks like a good time.

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.