Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rockwood Dust

Options

Comments

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    My local ACE Hardware has been especially rough on ALL their lump lately but I've found no discernible difference in how it burns.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    jeffwit said:
    This was in my last bag of Rockwood. One of the smaller pieces, actually. 
    A lady and a puppy in a bag of Rockwood!!??

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Jameson19
    Jameson19 Posts: 354
    Options
    Since when does size matter?
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    At all ends up as ash.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Coul
    Coul Posts: 111
    Options
    My local ACE Hardware has been especially rough on ALL their lump lately but I've found no discernible difference in how it burns.
    its probably not even the employees at your local ace. It's more than likely the warehouse. We receive bags off the truck all the time that have damage to them. especially when we get BGE charcoal in. its ridiculous
    LBGE circa 2016
  • HCOJ
    HCOJ Posts: 14
    Options
    I normally use Royal Oak and have never tried Rockwood, but I just had 5 bags of Rockwood delivered. I am very excited to see the difference between the two.
  • jeponline
    jeponline Posts: 290
    Options
    HCOJ said:
    I normally use Royal Oak and have never tried Rockwood, but I just had 5 bags of Rockwood delivered. I am very excited to see the difference between the two.
    Switching to Rockwood was all about the flavor for me.  Regardless of the condition of the bag or the size of the lump, it all burns and cooks my food, but Rockwood has the most neutral flavor so far, and that keeps my wife happy.
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Mikee said:

I had a bag of RO Lump that had even smaller pieces. Sent an email to them and was told it was not their problem. All their lump is (supposedly) screened. I did buy that bag from a different retailer but won't go back there again for lump.

Used some RO today after about 7-8 cooks with CharBroil Lump. There was a huge difference in smoke; took about 15 minutes for it to clear up.  The CharBroil burns clean in just a couple of minutes. Bought 6 more boxes at Lowes on Saturday; after using a coupon it was under $7.50 per box. Either Lowes is making room for winter items or perhaps they are not going to stocking it at the stores.

Where did you get the coupon Mikee?

I have 4 boxes (and no Egg yet) so I may add some more if my Lowes still has it. The huge display that they started out with has diminished to just a few boxes that I had to hunt for when I was in there last week.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,678
    Options
    HCOJ said:
    I bet the difference is $12-$15 a bag at a minimum. 
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options

Just to keep the thread going... I have had a lot of success with  Cowboy !!!
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,313
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I've had too many bags of Rockwood with this much and more small dusty particles.  I'm open for suggestions for a better lump charcoal and I look forward to all your suggestions.  Thank you!  

I don't mean to be a contrarian (as I also hate dust in my bags), but those pieces (or at least those pieces visible in the picture) look respectable to me. Truth is, I want some pieces that size in my lump - they fill the gaps perfectly when I'm prepping a low and slow, choking the oxygen in order to keep temps down. 

On the other hand, I don't like pieces like that for grilling or high temp cooks - again, because they block airflow and keep temps down. 

Guess that's why some folks sort their lump. (For the record, I don't, but I can see the benefits.)

To answer your original question, I am currently running Maple Leaf (mostly because I got it on a good sale) and have no complaints. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    Options

Why in the hell do you have this? 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options

Just to irritate you. B)
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options

He ain't from around here
  • YukonRon
    Options

Yeah, Now that you mentioned it, his accent is like from someplace around Southeastern Kentucky or something like that. Sounds too smart to be from around y'all. He's got manners and such.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    YukonRon said:

Yeah, Now that you mentioned it, his accent is like from someplace around Southeastern Kentucky or something like that. Sounds too smart to be from around y'all. He's got manners and such.
    This is one of @johnmitchell pics from 45 min after start. Broad daylight. 

• YukonRon
    Options
    YukonRon said:

This is so fecking funny.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    YukonRon said:

Turbo smoke. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • DaveRichardson
    Options

@YEMTrey - I love that song!!!!!!  College memories.......  Now can we get some Green Day as well?

I'd take that Rockwood "dust" from ya in a heartbeat!

Fogo typically has good, large pieces, but if you've got smash them with a hammer before loading, its a pain after a few times.

My storage is limited to about 3-4 bags max at this time.  My local Ace carries RW and they give me coupons monthly that I can use over and over....  I'll continue to buy.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    Options
    YukonRon said:

Yeah he even spells center wrong 
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    This lump is good for stacking things on. Does that get a rating?
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options

Too many other things to gripe about than that.  I'll cook with that size anytime.  LIGHT IT UP AND COOK!  

Paying a high price for the lump, it should be expected that the lump be premium. The end-user did not get what he paid for. Sure it will 'LIGHT AND COOK'. Cowboy will even do that.

• YukonRon
    Options
    YukonRon said:

Yeah he even spells center wrong 
    Ouch

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,144
    Options
    Jeez I've been missing out -- I thought center cut lump was a joke...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    @DoubleEgger @theyolksonyou @YukonRon... You guys are too funny !! Michael I bought the cowboy to bring down to @bgebrent place with the hope of adding a little taste to your 100 day old steak !!! Jason don't try and push your crappy pic onto me !!! Ron I will just put it down to the blow you took to the head !!!  =).... Funny my dentist thought I was from Alabama !!! You guys rock.. All have a great day....
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • YukonRon
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Mikee said:

Too many other things to gripe about than that.  I'll cook with that size anytime.  LIGHT IT UP AND COOK!  

Paying a high price for the lump, it should be expected that the lump be premium. The end-user did not get what he paid for. Sure it will 'LIGHT AND COOK'. Cowboy will even do that.

As will your Russian "Corona" of lump.
    The Russians are too smart to pay for birch wood lump charcoal, as it is laying on the ground, all over the place, because nobody would use it.
    I have been told the best birch lump is found next to the nuclear reactors in Cherynobl.
    Hot and fast, no smoke taste, and a nuclear half life of 4.5 billion years.
    Great for hotdogs and s'mores.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Mikee said:

Your comment makes no sense .  

What you light is still Rockwood. Lighting Cowboy is still Cowboy. 

So you're saying you're only paying for the size pieces ? 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    edited October 2016
    Options
    My local Lowe's has it on sale for $9.89. Using a 15 off 50 coupon found here (go to end of thread and work back to find codes) and a gift card from Raise.com for an additional 10% off, came out to $7.05/box. I loaded up going by the positive comments in this thread (haven't tried it yet). As mentioned, it does stack and store nicely and that's a plus.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com