Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rockwood Dust

Options
13»

Comments

• tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    My local Lowe's has it on sale for $9.89. Using a 15 off 50 coupon found here (go to end of thread and work back to find codes) and a gift card from Raise.com for an additional 10% off, came out to $7.05/box. I loaded up going by the positive comments in this thread (haven't tried it yet). As mentioned, it does stack and store nicely and that's a plus.
    I was being sarcastic. Only thing that stuff is good for is stacking in the garage. It burns though. But it's barely worth the $7 you paid. 
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    My local Lowe's has it on sale for $9.89. Using a 15 off 50 coupon found here (go to end of thread and work back to find codes) and a gift card from Raise.com for an additional 10% off, came out to $7.05/box. I loaded up going by the positive comments in this thread (haven't tried it yet). As mentioned, it does stack and store nicely and that's a plus.
    I was being sarcastic. Only thing that stuff is good for is stacking in the garage. It burns though. But it's barely worth the $7 you paid. 
    That bad, huh? Gonna try a box this weekend and see if it's worth keeping.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    BYS1981 said:
    Many folks on this forum are hypersensitive about lump size.

I need big pieces of lump because I have really big hands.
    NOLA
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    It's really good not sure how anyone could not like it. Pretty sure he is the only person that didn't like it so far.
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    Lit said:
    It's really good not sure how anyone could not like it. Pretty sure he is the only person that didn't like it so far.
    You touch it. Look at it next to a bag of BGE, and there is absolutely a difference. I mentioned in another post however that it would probably be good for Eggs smaller than the large. 
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Lit
    Options
    Lit said:
    You touch it. Look at it next to a bag of BGE, and there is absolutely a difference. I mentioned in another post however that it would probably be good for Eggs smaller than the large. 
    It's different than the BGE for sure. It's fully carbonized and shiny so most of the crap was fully cooked out so it starts fast and burns really clean. BGE lump is ok it's just royal oak in the end and this stuff is better for sure.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I don't think it is Firecraft's fault for the small pieces and dust in the picture, but who is handling it when it is shipped.  As for the small pieces I usually put them on top and the larger pieces on the bottom when making a fire in my Egg.  For long cooks I take out all the old lump which usually has lot of small pieces in it, add new lump, then add the old lump on top.  The smaller pieces seem to light faster and going from large to small seems to work the best for air flow to me.
    The advantage I have is my dealer gets Rockwood direct from them on pallets and then the bags go direct to their store floor and handled with care.  Now the other day I caught my son kicking my extra bag in the garage because he said it was in his way to get to his bike.  I about beat his butt for it.  I told him next time to ask me to move it.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options

I love the CharBroil lump for quick cooks. Looked at Accuweather earlier. Rain was suppose to start in 33 minutes. While I cooked in the rain numerous times, I'd rather not if given a choice. I was planning on making sausage. Moved some of the CharBroil lump to create a pocket to place the fire starter into. No shaking or stirring needed. Lit the fire starter and placed some new lump on top. 6 minutes later I was cooking. Finished the cook with almost 14 minutes before the rain came. At its current price of $7-$7.50 per box (after a Lowes coupon) this out performs any lump I used, including RW, and is less expensive.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    @DoubleEgger @theyolksonyou @YukonRon... You guys are too funny !! Michael I bought the cowboy to bring down to @bgebrent place with the hope of adding a little taste to your 100 day old steak !!! Jason don't try and push your crappy pic onto me !!! Ron I will just put it down to the blow you took to the head !!!  =).... Funny my dentist thought I was from Alabama !!! You guys rock.. All have a great day....
    Thankfully that weird talkin brother brought RW!  He and his wife are gems.  I'm hoping one day they'll assimilate and make America great again! :o
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Lit
    Options
    You are the man. That site had $50 off $250 so I used that then found a 5.5% off lowes and they gave me $10 off my first purchase at raise so I got the gen 3 nest thermostat that's $249.99 and a box of lump for $201.89 with tax. This forum finally saved me some money.
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    Thinking more about this, did I really save anything over the cost of RW at $22/bag? Three boxes seem to be the equivalent of one bag of RW, or am I doing my math wrong?
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • Lit
    Options
    Thinking more about this, did I really save anything over the cost of RW at $22/bag? Three boxes seem to be the equivalent of one bag of RW, or am I doing my math wrong?
    I think they are 11lbs a box so 2 boxes is the same as a bag or RW. You saved and it better lump without a doubt.