Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

KickAsh Basket - worth it?

Options

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I have one in my XL and if I would return it in a heartbeat. 
    Happy to give it a good home
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited October 2016
    Options
    How much airflow does a small fire need?  You all know where the vents are set on a Q cook.  Does it really make that much of a difference in airflow?  
    Or is this strictly an assumption? 

1.  With a rubber gloved dominant hand, reach in, gently stir used lump to loosen ash.  

2.  With lump bag in ungloved nondominant arm, dump lump until filled to ring.  

3.  Spread evenly with gloved dominant hand.  

4.  Place lump bag down and grab ash tool in dominant hand.  

5.  Scrape ash into bucket underneath draft door.  

6.  Light fire, stow bucket and ash tool, discard glove.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• cookingdude555
    Options
    love it in my medium
  • Photo Egg
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Focker said:
    How much airflow does a small fire need?  You all know where the vents are set on a Q cook.  Does it really make that much of a difference in airflow?  
    Or is this strictly an assumption? 

1.  With a rubber gloved dominant hand, reach in, gently stir used lump to loosen ash.  

2.  With lump bag in ungloved nondominant arm, dump lump until filled to ring.  

3.  Spread evenly with gloved dominant hand.  

4.  Place lump bag down and grab ash tool in dominant hand.  

5.  Scrape ash into bucket underneath draft door.  

6.  Light fire, stow bucket and ash tool, discard glove.  
    Here we go again with you and your rubber glove on your dominate hand...lol
    Sorry, this is not Friday Night.
    No need to glove up and push lump around with the basket.
    All good. As with most add on stuff it is NOT a must have, I agree.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Fellows these Kick Ash Basket threads are getting as interesting as the lump and Smokeware Cap threads. Heck, as of late, even the political threads are playing second fiddle to these topics. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Photo Egg
    Options
    SGH said:
    Fellows these Kick Ash Basket threads are getting as interesting as the lump and Smokeware Cap threads. Heck, as of late, even the political threads are playing second fiddle to these topics. 
    Thats because theses products have more character than our canidates...lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    SGH said:
    I actually think they are helpful. If the KAB would increase my satellite reception and improve my memory like the Smokeware cap I'd get them, but all I can tell is that they make you taller and give you more reach. Pfffft, no big deal. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • YouEnjoyMyEgg
    Options
    Here is Chad Romzek (Kick Ash Basket creator) and myself Saturday at Eggtoberfest.  I won this basket (large kick ash basket, hat, spatula, grate hook, coozie) at the fest.  Thanks BGC and Chad!

• Focker
    Options
    Why isn't it called a Kick Air Basket?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Photo Egg
    Options
    Focker said:
    I bet if you called Chad at Kich Air Basket he would send you a basket to try out. That way you could give an opinion of product you actually gave a fair shake.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Focker
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Focker said:
    I bet if you called Chad at Kich Air Basket he would send you a basket to try out. That way you could give an opinion of product you actually gave a fair shake.
    Naw man, I'm good.

If you truly believe it makes your eggsperience that much more convenient and enjoyable, with supposed vast improvements in airflow, right on.

Was hoping for enlightenment, I got none.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I don't need a rubber glove on a dominant hand to knock the ash off. And you know what's even easier than using the ash tool through the bottom vent? Lifting out the KAB with all the lump in it and getting the ash in the bottom out from the top with a scoop. Then put the KAB back in with the lump in the basket. Then add more lump if you want.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,144
    Options
    I have the high q grate and don't ever stir.... Ever...

the ash just falls down when I'm reloading or I eventually get around to emptying the bottom out. Never really thought it needed more work than that...

great idea though - I'm sure I'd love that basket!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    yljkt said:
    Mikee said:
    The KAB wastes a lot of lump. Small pieces will fall thru.  Nothing wrong with them; they will burn great when doing a long and slow. All bigger pieces will eventually become a size that fits thru the KAB. Some here may not care about the cost of lump and how much they go thru; but I do. Anything bigger than an pensile eraser is usable.
    Do you have, or have you used a kab? 

Nope. I have fire grates that are similar to the KAB. Way too much lump falls thru them. Next question?

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Focker said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Focker said:
    Naw man, I'm good.

If you truly believe it makes your eggsperience that much more convenient and enjoyable, with supposed vast improvements in airflow, right on.

Not sure if your mind was made up already or you simply haven't been reading, either way I can't figure out why you seem to be so bothered that some people actually shelled out a few bucks for something they obviously (given the majority of responses) find enhances the egging experience. The tone of your comments just seems out of place given most people would purchase this product again. It's as if the positive comments offend you somehow. Nobody is suggesting it's a life-changing product, but since we've shared our experiences I am hoping you can do us all a solid and have somebody record your rubber-gloved-one-handed method for arranging lump so that we can make our own judgement and perhaps incorporate it ourselves if it looks like a better option than the KAB. I'm sure we will all be the better for it and you might even get a new technique named after you. You'll be held in the same high regard as Mickey for his coffee rub, Travis for his brisket method and SGH for his seal of approval. Looking forward to it!
    Stillwater, MN
  • Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited October 2016
    Options

You be funny, Mikee.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• Focker
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Focker said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Focker said:
    Naw man, I'm good.

Not sure if your mind was made up already or you simply haven't been reading, either way I can't figure out why you seem to be so bothered that some people actually shelled out a few bucks for something they obviously (given the majority of responses) find enhances the egging experience. The tone of your comments just seems out of place given most people would purchase this product again. It's as if the positive comments offend you somehow. Nobody is suggesting it's a life-changing product, but since we've shared our experiences I am hoping you can do us all a solid and have somebody record your rubber-gloved-one-handed method for arranging lump so that we can make our own judgement and perhaps incorporate it ourselves if it looks like a better option than the KAB. I'm sure we will all be the better for it and you might even get a new technique named after you. You'll be held in the same high regard as Mickey for his coffee rub, Travis for his brisket method and SGH for his seal of approval. Looking forward to it!
    Honest to God, I actually thought about that while typing it.  Could use nondominant hand to record. Lol
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Brason
    Brason Posts: 330
    Options
    I love mine. I lose some of the small pieces when I shake it out, but getting ready for a new cook is so quick and easy. 
    Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I have KABs in both my XL and MM. I do not have the issue with lump waste, most seem to complain about, because I use premium Rockwood lump, which has a much smaller percentage of small and fines. Those that use other brands of lump, probably have a legitimate complaint.
    Love the KAB. Cleaner, better air flow, easier.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Mikee said:
    yljkt said:
    Mikee said:
    The KAB wastes a lot of lump. Small pieces will fall thru.  Nothing wrong with them; they will burn great when doing a long and slow. All bigger pieces will eventually become a size that fits thru the KAB. Some here may not care about the cost of lump and how much they go thru; but I do. Anything bigger than an pensile eraser is usable.
    Do you have, or have you used a kab? 

Nope. I have fire grates that are similar to the KAB. Way too much lump falls thru them. Next question?

Just curious how you had a solid opinion without having tried it. A certain center cut lump thread comes to mind.   
  • bigalsworth
    Options
    Mikee said:
    My aftermarket grate does the same thing.  As a matter of fact any aftermarket grate that provides better airflow will have larger chunks drop out
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    Congrats again and thank for coming out! Hope you enjoyed the event. 
  • CTegger427
    Options
    My kick ash basket is awesome. It helps out so much for long cooks. The lower holes of the original get clogged from ash causing temps to drop. With the kick ash basket, the ash falls right through sustaining a perfect temp!
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    :lol: ...these threads crack me up.  I kind of want one, but I have never researched it.  I see these debates go on from time to time.  There are some many strong opinions and good points raised on both sides of the issue.   I guess I'll pass on the KAB for now.   Because this thread confused me!!!

I do have to say that on overnight cooks, I think my airflow is obstructed by early morning and it causes me some issues.  I say that because when I get inside at the end of the cook, there is still plenty of lump left, yet, I find myself having to open up the vents a good bit at 6:AM to hold the temp.

But, I bought a Flameboss, so it's his problem now. Not mine.

It's not worth it for any of the other benefits raised.  I don't mind stirring with a stick or scraping out the ash.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I have thought about getting one, but haven't done it yet and like what @YukonRon said about the RW has less fines it also seems to leave less ash when you are done cooking.  For now I am fine without one.

Now the SmokeWear Cap I have and like a lot.  It makes smoking in the rain a lot easier and I like the looks of it better then the Daisy Wheel.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    My kick ash basket is awesome. It helps out so much for long cooks. The lower holes of the original get clogged from ash causing temps to drop. With the kick ash basket, the ash falls right through sustaining a perfect temp!
    Just like my $7 Weber Smokey Joe fire grate that I use in my large egg. =)

For six+ years I used my OEM fire grate. Had to use a wiggle rod before every cook. A PITA, but no big deal and I did it anyway. Then, one day, the crack in the OEM grate finally opened up enough that it became unusable. I happened to have a Weber Smokey Joe with a charcoal grate very similar to the High Que product (it's not stainless, but it's also not $35!). Since I had it on hand and needed to cook something, I just installed the weber grate in my large egg.

The airflow is awesome. No more wiggle rod! I just stir the lump with a small plastic garden trowel, add more if needed and light. 

Seems like lots of folks on here look for ways to spend money on this stuff. I look for ways NOT to.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    I did a rib compeition last weekend and the Kick Ash Basket rocked. Hardly any waiting time for the egg to cool. With the KAB all you need to do is pull it out and dump your lump. After the lump being dumped I pull out the guts from the egg. This helps the cooling process. With the dome open you can have a cool egg in a little amount of time. Even Brisket_Fanatic mentioned that he couldn't believe how quick the egg cooled. Worth every penny especially when traveling with them or tailgating in my opinion 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Dominant hands, and latex gloves - what forum did I log into?

My vote is a yes on the KAB, but I realize there are more pressing priorities for someone just starting out.  

Phoenix 
  • Focker
    edited October 2016
    Options
    When on the go, I shut the vents down, slide the table and small egg into the bed, shut tailgate, and go with it still hot.  I don't even strap it down.  How can it get any easier than that?

Used to take the egg to a comp, but prefered the WSM for more than just portability conveniences.

My tone isn't off, I'm not bothered.  When or if I buy something, I want to be sold on it.  So far, I'm not even close.  Airflow?  On a barely cracked egg?  C'mon man!

Guys, I just cannot see what all the fuss is about.  And that's completely fine.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options

I have one in my Mini Max, but not in my XL.  The reason I bought one for my Mini Max is to help facilitate with travelling/tailgating.  When I’m done cooking, I can remove the KAB and the coals and allow my Egg to cool down much faster for transport and storage.  I haven’t noticed a big difference in air flow or coming to temp with it.  But it is nice to be able to remove the basket and coals and get the Egg cooled down much faster.

That’s the main reason I spent $40 for the KAB.  

Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio