Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

KickAsh Basket - worth it?

Options
Heading down to eggfest tonight, planning to stop into roswell hardware while I'm down there... curious from the group, is the kickash basket worth it? 
Nashville, TN

Medium BGE | Large BGE | Little Griddle | Kick Ash Basket | Looftlighter

Comments

• yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Yes
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Can't imagine why it would be. That and a $60 price tag is why I'll never find out. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• YouEnjoyMyEgg
    Options
    Kick Ash Basket and Roswell Hardware are both top notch.  Good luck not spending tons of $ there.  =)

• Holepuncher
    Options
    I like mine.
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    And so it begins........
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,660
    Options
    Yes...

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    It's not necessary or anything like that, but I do not regret my purchase one bit.
    Stillwater, MN
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I like mine
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Wolfie51sb
    Options
    As far as Eggcessoires go, it is the best thing I have bought.

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

• chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Not in my opinion. 
  • Meeeshigan22
    Options
    Mine was a gift and I like it well enough. Wouldn't be one of the first things I spent my own money on however.
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • Coul
    Coul Posts: 111
    Options
    Have one, love it, but in all honesty, If you don't mind stirring your charcoal to knock off the ash, I would spend 1/2 the money and buy the fish bones SS charcoal grate. It allows more airflow like the KAB, is made of SS so it wont rust, and less money. The only drawback is it doesn't have handles. 

http://smokeware.com/products/fishbones-charcoal-fire-grate-upgrade-for-large-bge
    LBGE circa 2016
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    It hasn't tickled my fancy, yet.

Non stainless is no bueno down there.  All of my Weber grates have warped eventually.  The High Que on my large has been holding the best, compared to the ceramic and CI.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• keepervodeflame
    Options
     In two words "Most Definetly" IMO, that is. The original KAB will rust, if your looking for a stainless basket. Michael of Michaels Custom Grates makes one quite similar to the KAB. 
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Yes it is very much worth the $, I have one in each of my larges, one in my small and Mini Max. I'm looking for another large egg for my Florida winter home and if and when I get it a Kick Ash Basket will be ordered.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Yes the kick ash worth it to me. The handles make it easy to shake out ashes and reload. So much better than stirring ashes with a stick. 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    I have one for my MM.  I have not seen a  benefit over the High Que in my large.  As a result, I have no plans of getting one for the large.  
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • jimmyhat1978
    Options
    I like mine.  does a much better job than stirring ashes.  

Medium BGE, Japanese Konro, NOLA proud.
  • Slabotnick
    Options
    Absolutely. Airflow is so much better and shaking clean is easy. Feel like I waste less. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I've had a couple fires go out overnight because the six holes in the ceramic were clogged (and, apparently, the bottom holes).  After getting a KAB that never happened again, so I never bought that $300 fan controller I was looking at.   :)

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    It is a decision not taken lightly. Something American made that will probably last as long as the egg, makes clean up alot easier, and helps with airflow. BUT....it can cost as much as 3 or 4 bags of decent lump.  =)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Botch said:
    I've had a couple fires go out overnight because the six holes in the ceramic were clogged (and, apparently, the bottom holes).  After getting a KAB that never happened again, so I never bought that $300 fan controller I was looking at.   :)
    Interesting. Assuming you are referring to the holes in the fire box, they don't make any difference at all. Either that or mine just don't set clogged - because I don't remember the last time I even thought to clean them. And I've never had a fire go out.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Smaller eggs - Yes. XL- No
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    For the Large and the Small...they make cleaning out the ashes a snap. And then just add new lump on top. A real time saver!
    Judy in San Diego
  • VB_egger
    VB_egger Posts: 364
    Options
    This may help. I have two kamados, if I am only using one I go to the one with KAB every time. 
    VA Beach
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I have an xl, don't own kab, never really felt the "need" I've watched youtube videos on it, looks cool. 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    And so it begins........
    It is Friday. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM