Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

100 Day Dry Aged Beef Project

Options

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    "this is a strange place. Quality post gets quiet reception.  Should have just asked which charcoal to use when cooking the steaks. (Sarcasm)"

@Darby_Crenshaw, it actually isn't too surprising.  For a thread to get really long it seems to require either 1) A LOT of people to have an opinion or 2) a deviation to another more prolonged topic than just the original cook - which usually springs from #1.

On the topic of dry aging there are relatively few who have enough experience to have an opinion that they are willing to post.

Brent, what model of boat is that? (not really trying to make this a long boat thread, just curious because I grew up boating/skiing and wouldn't mind getting back to it one day)

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Foghorn said:

@Darby_Crenshaw, it actually isn't too surprising.  For a thread to get really long it seems to require either 1) A LOT of people to have an opinion or 2) a deviation to another more prolonged topic than just the original cook - which usually springs from #1.

Yeah. There are certainly hot points to spark long threads.

just thinking there would be questions asked from interested others. Donyneed to have had dry aged to weigh in

anyway. Great opportunity to discuss the differences in each and to encourage experimentation
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    "this is a strange place. Quality post gets quiet reception.  Should have just asked which charcoal to use when cooking the steaks. (Sarcasm)"

On the topic of dry aging there are relatively few who have enough experience to have an opinion that they are willing to post.

Brent, what model of boat is that? (not really trying to make this a long boat thread, just curious because I grew up boating/skiing and wouldn't mind getting back to it one day)
    It's a '15 Mastercraft X 30.  Great all-round boat. PM me any questions brother. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Foghorn
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Foghorn said:

It's a '15 Mastercraft X 30.  Great all-round boat. PM me any questions brother. 

That's a sweet boat.  My sister has a slightly smaller (21' I think) and older (around 2000) Mastercraft and we've had some great times on it.  I grew up skiing - even skied for a living in the summers - and always envisioned that I would do the same with my kids, but it never worked out.  They both got seriously into soccer and that consumed our weekends so buying a boat was never the right move.  I don't have any regrets but when I see people boating like that it brings back some great memories...  I know it helps create some great times such as what is posted here.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• RiverRatSkier
    Options

This reminds me that I have had a roast dry aging since mid July.  Should probably look into slicing into that bad boy.  It's getting pretty small.

And I will add to the nice boat topic.  Spent a few fun filled hours here and there in, behind, in front of (or around) boats in my day as well.  @Foghorn Was that Sea World in Texas that you skied for a living?  How long ago?  I know a few former pros from back in the day.

• Foghorn
    Options

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Options
    The pics aren't very good, but you get the idea.  I was pretty much an advanced recreational skier that learned a few tricks for a job.  However, between work and fun I did get to ski with some pretty good skiers a times.  @RiverRatSkier, where did you grow up and ski?

San Antonio, TX

• RiverRatSkier
    Options

I grew up and learned to ski in MN.  Currently skiing with the Twin Cities River Rats (in MN).  We have a couple people on the team that skied for Sea World.  Also skied on a collegiate team (where I met some skiers from Cypress Gardens) in Daytona Beach FL ('95-'99).  Never got paid to do it though.

Back on topic, I like dry aged beef.

• Foghorn
    Options
    I, too, like dry aged beef. Although I have never ages it myself. 

San Antonio, TX

• bgebrent
    Options

I grew up and learned to ski in MN.  Currently skiing with the Twin Cities River Rats (in MN).  We have a couple people on the team that skied for Sea World.  Also skied on a collegiate team (where I met some skiers from Cypress Gardens) in Daytona Beach FL ('95-'99).  Never got paid to do it though.

Back on topic, I like dry aged beef.

Grew up bare footing. First learned by dropping the slalom at 38 mph. Probably could've been a politician with the 50 IQ points I lost falling at 38. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Dry aged beef...is that when you raise cows in the desert?
    Options
    Dry aged beef...is that when you raise cows in the desert?
    If only it was that easy! ;)
  • RiverRatSkier
    Options

I wish I could still comfortably foot at 38.  I tend to not be able to breathe going that slow these days (too much beer and meat have added a lbs).  And my feet are too tender to handle a reasonable 42+  for very long.  Good thing I am a show skier and only have to stand up for about 50 yards.  But it's a fun 50 yards with about 14 others next to you.

I tend to prefer jumping and skiing backwards around the boat a bit more, but still have fun on bare feet.

And I lose way more IQ points with beer than crashing at high speed.  What were we talking about?

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    Looks great from all aspects boys and girls!  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @Foghorn you sure were goofy when you were a young man. =)
    Options
    @RiverRatSkier, when you ski backward around the boat - is that on a wakeboard?  I've skied around the boat but only in a forward direction. On trick skis - which presents its own challenge as it is hard to hold the edge at that speed on skis with no fins. 

San Antonio, TX

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    "this is a strange place. Quality post gets quiet reception....For a thread to get really long it seems to require either ... 2) a deviation to another more prolonged topic than just the original cook - which usually springs from #1.

So so true. 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited September 2016
    Options
    You guys should have asked how to empty lump from a bag, and then casually mentioned you also aged a couple rib eye subprimals for a hundred days. 

Pearls before swine...
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Fat cap up for dry aged beef. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    edited September 2016
    Options
    You guys should have asked how to empty lump from a bag, and then casually mentioned you also aged a couple rib eye subprimals dor a hundred days. 

Perals before swine...
    I forgot to mention we used Rockwood.  ;)
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    i like rockwood. If you are inexperienced with many types, it's a good one to start with

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
    Awesome experiment!!  Don't know how I missed this first time around!  Looks like y'all had a great time!
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    Awesome experiment!!  Don't know how I missed this first time around!  Looks like y'all had a great time!
    You'll be two tiered after that long. 
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Great thread. I just dont even know what to say. 

Little Rock, AR

• bgebrent
    Options
    For interested folk my friend, it's more about what to ask if interested.  Who isn't tired of  @Darby_Crenshaw and his rants! ;)
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    You'll be two tiered after that long. 
    2 tiers aren't that bad. I think I could handle them.   =)
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    JustineCaseyFeldown Posts: 867
    edited December 2016
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    For interested folk my friend, it's more about what to ask if interested.  Who isn't tired of  @Darby_Crenshaw and his rants! ;)
    What rants?

find me a rant where I don't explain myself fully and ask the right questions or admit that I don't know something. 

I just got admonished by RRP for "sparring" re umai bags when i GUARANTEE you that there has been no one here who has offered more positive opinion for the things those bags do right than I have. I explain their benefits for extended aging, the way the dey differently than open air, why you might choose one over the other...

have you evwr heard anyone else explain how they work and why you might prefer them? Other than "I don't know what's happening or why, but the wife likes things wrapped in plastic, so i buy them to **** her up" 

everyone stops at "it keeps the wife from bitching". Because even they don't understand them, what they do, how they work. I recommended them tonight openly to a guy. And yet their forum mod calls me on the carpet for "sparring" 

just here to learn and to push the understanding of the three or four things i care about

Someone says something stupid, it needs to be slapped back into the trash

for example. Find the threads i have started about how to cook a perfect brisket. Zero. And I don't weigh in. I don't speculate (unless i say i am guessing or use the word 'maybe')

there are a sh!tload more vocal ranters here who never get called out on their opinion (vs fact) based cr^p

also, eff steven 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
     Don't know how I missed this first time around!  
    Brother Dyal, I missed it as well. In my defense my forum time has been very limited for the past few months. This is a very busy time of the year for me. Between work, the Blue Lodge, Scottish Rites, York Rites, and now the Shrine, I am just about on the run night and day. 
    With that said, great post brother Double and brother Brent. Such dedication to the craft warrants the SOP. As such:

Well done fellows :clap:

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• JustineCaseyFeldown
    JustineCaseyFeldown Posts: 867
    edited December 2016
    Options
    SGH said:
    Dyal_SC said:
     Don't know how I missed this first time around!  
    Brother Dyal, I missed it as well. In my defense my forum time has been very limited for the past few months. This is a very busy time of the year for me. Between work, the Blue Lodge, Scottish Rites, York Rites, and now the Shrine, I just about am on the run night and day. 
    With that said, great post brother Double and brother Brent. Such dedication to the craft warrants the SOP. As such:

Well done fellows :clap:
    Retired. Semiretired. Working too hard. Unemployed. Poor. Rich

i beed a bvllshit meter to parse your posts

all's fair on the internet i guess. ;)
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    i beed a bvllshit meter to parse your posts

Here you go. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.