Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for a method to frame a poster and hang outside......

Options
....the obvious issue is waterproofing. I have thought about encapsulating (the poster) with a lamination and then putting the poster behind glass....but wonder how that will look? Thinking of having a cedar frame made to match my egg table and hang on wall behind it.......and have a great poster to hang.....I don't really want to do a shadow box type of framing....Anyone ever do or seen this done before? Insight would be greatly appreciated.
Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
Run me out in the cold rain and snow

Comments

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,434
    Options
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I'd laminate it and put it behind glass like you said.  I'm going to to this whenever I earn my first @SGH seal of approval.

Phoenix 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,166
    Options
    jeffwit said:
    This one?

How did you know?

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    edited September 2016
    Options

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • johnkitchens
    Options

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    How large is your poster?
    Is it replaceable?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • northGAcock
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Is it replaceable?

The poster is 39 1/2 X 55 1/4 so it is rather large. It is a commercial poster (not for purchase) I got from a record store about 30 years ago....so not really. For you younger posters, we used to have to go to stores to purchase music on these venal disc called albums.

Wife would never let me hang it in the house as the kids were growing up (my daughter and son....not me) but has approved the outside. It's an old Grateful dead poster of one on there albums. Might actually have some value to it. 

• northGAcock
    Options
    @henapple, I will run this by the wife when she gets home, if this is a go, you mind sharing the digital copy? Hold on till I get back to you. 

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    I thought it was a sign saying "I <3 The Cocks"
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Options
    jeffwit said:
    This one?

Ahhh! The timeless art of seduction.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• northGAcock
    Options
    You guys know, Castanza and Henapple do favor a bit.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Looks like you have some great suggestions.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,368
    Options
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• northGAcock
    Options

• northGAcock
    Options

Photo Egg said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Is it replaceable?

The poster is 39 1/2 X 55 1/4 so it is rather large. It is a commercial poster (not for purchase) I got from a record store about 30 years ago....so not really. For you younger posters, we used to have to go to stores to purchase music on these venal disc called albums.

Wife would never let me hang it in the house as the kids were growing up (my daughter and son....not me) but has approved the outside. It's an old Grateful dead poster of one on there albums. Might actually have some value to it. 
    Very cool.
    I would NEVER frame that piece for outside use...
    Looks to be in fantastic shape. Laminating original would kill the value and cause the original to discolor. Assuming it makes it through the lamination process undamaged.
    If you would be willing to send it to me I can copy it digitally and make a same size poster. It will loose a little quality in some areas but regain in others.
    This would also give you the digital file that could be used to reprint this on any number of materials better suited for outside viewing with no risk to your original. I could talk to our vendor and see what he recommends if you would like to go this route. We use Thomas Print Works in Houston.
    High quality lamination/encapsulation runs about $3 a square foot, $48.00 for this size if you laminate the copy.
    Your cost for me shooting digital copy and making repo poster would be zero.
    Happy to help. 

I'll take you up on this. I'll shoot you a PM.

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,360
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Fiberglass resin dries clear and would create a weather resistant coating. I've see it done with photos, don't know why it wouldn't work on that. Might be something to play around with and do a test 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Darian would likely do the Tony pic as well if you're interested. 
  • DaveRichardson
    Options

Photo Egg said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Is it replaceable?

Very cool.
    I would NEVER frame that piece for outside use...
    Looks to be in fantastic shape. Laminating original would kill the value and cause the original to discolor. Assuming it makes it through the lamination process undamaged.
    If you would be willing to send it to me I can copy it digitally and make a same size poster. It will loose a little quality in some areas but regain in others.
    This would also give you the digital file that could be used to reprint this on any number of materials better suited for outside viewing with no risk to your original. I could talk to our vendor and see what he recommends if you would like to go this route. We use Thomas Print Works in Houston.
    High quality lamination/encapsulation runs about $3 a square foot, $48.00 for this size if you laminate the copy.
    Your cost for me shooting digital copy and making repo poster would be zero.
    Happy to help. 

I'll take you up on this. I'll shoot you a PM.

THAT is one of my favorite Dead albums out there!  Don't tell my parents, but I was supposed to be in summer school one year, but I travelled the country with a summer Dead tour back in the day......  SWMBO does not get the Dead's music, but its a feeling you get inside when you are listening to them and then it does something...... or its the drugs......

And who else can you listen to 1 song and it goes for 24 minutes????

I'll PAY for a good digital scan of that sucker!!!!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    First choice would be of FRAME material.   Most wooden stuff will last a few years outside.   Tops.  

You CAN'T allow this to come in direct contact with rain or 'the elements'.   Winter, if you get snow, should mean putting the 'art' somewhere SAFE until spring rains are done.   

Also for OUTDOOR hanging, you want a UV PROOF LEXAN cover.   Polycarbonate is nearly indestructible, Very chemical resistant AND will last a Long Time.   I have a 14"x60" covered with this.   Spacers of about 0.10" are installed to keep the ART out of Contact with the cover sheet.  

PRIOR to 'laminating' which is a one-way process, I'd consider DRY MOUNT which adheres the art to a thin FOAM CORE.    
    If you go that route, Specify ACID FREE materials.   
  • northGAcock
    Options
    I would like to thank most all of you for your suggestions and guidance.

After further discussing with the wif, I have decided not to risk the value of the poster....and will look to frame and hang in my office. Further, I have found something that I am considering as an alternative....it is available in both a pig and a cow (would get one of each).....the pig looks like this....
    Pig.jpg 69.9K

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    So, who you not thanking?
  • northGAcock
    Options
    So, who you not thanking?
    Oh you were definitely on the thanking side of things Jason. Your post was most helpful....and insightful. Keep them coming....

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    That is a really, really cool poster. But unless you have a Dead theme going, I like the pig. Not that my opinion counts at all, or for that matter you even asked for it; but for an outdoor grilling area, I like the idea of the pig and cow. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    Am I on the thanking side, too? I thought my suggestion was most insightful. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,237
    Options
    Putting a $600 poster outside??

• northGAcock
    Options
    jeffwit said:
    Am I on the thanking side, too? I thought my suggestion was most insightful. 
    Oh yeah Jeff....you are definitely on the thanking side. I appreciate good humor....in fact, you might say I am humoring @theyolksonyou

@DoubleEgger Heavy's research put that in perspective real quick. Wife has even suggested a real frame and allowing it in my home office. I might add she was suffering from a migraine at the time.....so there is the need to follow up with some verification. 

@Sea2Ski If you don't think your opinion matters to me by now.....I have failed to communicate effectively. Thanks as always. 

DaveRichardson  if you want a copy....I am still open to sending the poster out to Photo Egg for some copies....let me know if that is of serious interest.