Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Stained Inside of Yeti

Options
Our beer fridge went out a few weeks ago, so I moved a few things to the Yeti until I could get a new fridge.   One of those things was a gallon of milk.   Well, days turned to weeks and I got a new beer fridge.   I completely forgot the milk and other items in the Yeti, in my garage, in 90+ degree Georgia days.   Needless to say, the smell was horrible when I opened the Yeti and realized the stuff was still in there.  Anyway, after hacking and gagging, I got it cleaned out.   There is a distinct line where everything below is stained a yellowish color inside the cooler.   I scrubbed it, rubbed it with mineral spirits and even poured a half gallon of bleach and water inside and let it sit for an hour or so.   Still stained.   I know it's clean, but it looks dirty.   Is there any way to fix this, or could old milk have permanently stained the inside?
Athens, GA
XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590

Comments

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options

I'm sure they sell a bottle of yeti cleaner $500.  You can try vinegar, lemon juice and baking soda.  Make it a paste and let it sit.

I think yeti is currently suing the people who make vinegar, lemon and baking soda though....

Apollo Beach, FL
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,794
    Options
    There are many things that will shine that ole Yeti back up. I use a SOS pad and this. 

Why this? Because we always have a few bottles of it around. My wife buys this stuff by the box so that is what I use. On that note, it along with the SOS pad works like a champ.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

If you've scrubbed it and given it a bleach bath, I'd say learn to love it.  You could try a bleach bath for 24-48 hours if it's important to you.

Phoenix 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I would try a magic eraser with the clean @sgh showed.  The erasers clean the hell out of anything.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SGH
    Options
    I would try a magic eraser with the clean @sgh showed.  The erasers clean the hell out of anything.  
    The SOS pad along with that Clorox does real good as well. I don't if it's the Clorox, the SOS or the combination of the two. But it does work well which ever it is. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SloppyJoe
    Options
    I've stained the inside of some toilets like you wouldn't believe.  CLR works pretty good. 
  • SGH
    Options
    SloppyJoe said:
    I've stained the inside of some toilets like you wouldn't believe.  CLR works pretty good. 
    I can take a dump of legendary proportions myself. That may explain why my wife buys the Clorox by the case. 

Status- Standing by.

• PASmoke
    PASmoke Posts: 279
    Options
    Try the cleaner "Bon Ami" -- It's like Comet, but less harsh. run over it with a wet rag so that the surface is wet - but not standing water.....then sprinkle the Bon Ami and scrub with a washcloth/rag. If it becomes pasty - add a bit more water. I hope it helps. 
    Atlanta, GA - Large BGE x 2

• SGH
    edited September 2016
    Options
    PASmoke said:
    Try the cleaner "Bon Ami" 
    Here is an interesting way that we use to use Bon Ami on the farm. When we would wear out Caterpillar engines and rebuild them, they were notorious for having blow by on the rings. Especially ones made between the 50's and 70's. They were built with a lot of clearance (slop) back then. Tolerances today are mind blowing compared to back then.
    At any rate, we would crank the engines and if they had blow by we would very slowly sprinkle Bon Ami in the intake. It had just enough scouring effect that it would cause the rings to seal.
    For the record, in no way am I telling you that this is a safe practice on modern Diesel engines. Especially on engines built after 1979. However it was a home fix that we used many times on older Cat engines when I was growing up.  

Status- Standing by.

• Mayberry
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.   I'll try the CLR and Bon Ami.  Already tried straight bleach with a scrub pad.   
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,683
    Options
    That's what you get for putting milk in a beer fridge!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Let a few cap fulls of clorox bleach sit in it completely full of water for a full 24 hours. That should do it.

I don't take care of mine for shite and there are loads of little specks and stains in them. I don't think I've ever been able to fully get them out. The bleach soak did the best (next best was a pressure washer)
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,827
    Options
    i left bait in my engal for a couple months, took several 24 hour soakings of bleach to get the smell and stain out =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Smokin_Trout
    Options
    Try oxalic acid. Seen a few YouTube videos where they used it on boats. 
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    edited September 2016
    Options
    This is of no help but humorous. A friend of mine went camping and when he got home, he washed out the cooler and left it on his back porch to dry out. He noticed it had fallen off the porch and was upside down on the lid next to the steps but just ignored it figuring the kids had knocked it off. He kind of forgot about for a week (August - 100 degree days) until he decided to pick it up and put it away. That's when he discovered a raccoon had gotten in it on the porch and knocked it off trapping itself inside. The poor beast had turned to jelly and the smell was so bad that my poor friend puked up his breakfast. He wrapped it in three garbage bags and it put it on the corner for the garbage men. The best part is that someone stole it out of the garbage before pick up day - I still laugh thinking about their surprise!
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I've got stains on the outside of a Pelican and could care less....it's a Fockin cooler yo. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,863
    Options
    SGH said:
    PASmoke said:
    Try the cleaner "Bon Ami" 
    Here is an interesting way that we use to use Bon Ami on the farm. When we would wear out Caterpillar engines and rebuild them, they were notorious for having blow by on the rings. Especially ones made between the 50's and 70's. They were built with a lot of clearance (slop) back then. Tolerances today are mind blowing compared to back then.
    At any rate, we would crank the engines and if they had blow by we would very slowly sprinkle Bon Ami in the intake. It had just enough scouring effect that it would cause the rings to seal.
    For the record, in no way am I telling you that this is a safe practice on modern Diesel engines. Especially on engines built after 1979. However it was a home fix that we used many times on older Cat engines when I was growing up.  

Am I the only one trying to figure out how this relates to @SGH's legendary dumps?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• DaveRichardson
    Options

Maybe also try Bar Keeper's Friend.  Its a powder that you paste up like the Bon Ami stuff.

Also agree on the magic eraser.  Its like wet-sanding a car.....  Wet-sanding might be an option, too!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• SloppyJoe
    Options
    I made the mistake of eating a large burrito for lunch today.  The destruction and chaos that followed can only be described as epic.  I usually can make it back to the office but today I literally had to pull the car off the road and hug a tree.  I hate having irritable bowel syndrome.  However it's taught me the importance of having Clorox Bleach, etc., in the house.