Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ok girls, what do I do with white BBQ sauce???????

Options
Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,674
i have seen you post and talk about this but never seen the product. Found in Modica Market in Seaside Saturday morning as I was headed back to Texas. By the way if any of you are in Seaside and in Modica Market please say hello to Charlie Modica. He has a Mini and I brought him a new style Mini Nest with handles last week. Real nice guy. Say hello for me. Back to the sauce, is it applied the last 10 mins or is it just a dipping sauce or ????????

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    There is a company here in town that does a white sauce on their wings and coats them as they pull them off. I usually like to mix it with a hotter traditional sauce. Not as aesthetically pleasing but tastes great. 

I used to go in the Modica market all the time when I was a kid. We had a family friend that had a house right there so we went a few times a year. I haven't been in a few years...life got busy. Think it may be time to revisit. 

Or at least throw on my Bud and Ally's t shirt and turn on some Buffett and fire up a cigar in the backyard. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Mickey, I know that it's not Q, but I have some turnip roots and ham in the pressure cooker smothered with white sauce as we speak. Will let you know how it turns out ole buddy.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mickey
    Options
    There is a company here in town that does a white sauce on their wings and coats them as they pull them off. I usually like to mix it with a hotter traditional sauce. Not as aesthetically pleasing but tastes great. 

I used to go in the Modica market all the time when I was a kid. We had a family friend that had a house right there so we went a few times a year. I haven't been in a few years...life got busy. Think it may be time to revisit. 

Or at least throw on my Bud and Ally's t shirt and turn on some Buffett and fire up a cigar in the backyard. 
    Just did our 17th year. Our granddaughters (and us) love the place. 
    Bud & Ally's has bought up almost all the food places there now. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    edited August 2016
    Options
    SGH said:
    Mickey, I know that it's not Q, but I have some turnip roots and ham in the pressure cooker smothered with white sauce as we speak. Will let you know how it turns out ole buddy.  
    You staying dry? I did wave like I do every year as I drove by you. I did have to come home on I-20 Saturday. 

• SGH
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Mickey said:
     Back to the sauce, is it applied the last 10 mins or is it just a dipping sauce or ????????
    Mick, you can use it either way. For chicken, I like to start basting with it the last 15-20 minutes of the cook. I'm sure others prefer just to dip, but in my opinion the sauce cooking down a little enhances its effect. That's just me my friend.  

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• PASmoke
    PASmoke Posts: 279
    Options
    I'm sure I'm in the minority here....but, I'm not an overall big fan of white sauce. However, I have found that the best application is on chicken - especially dark meat - applied lightly while the sauce is at room temp and the chicken is just off the Egg and smoking hot. 

Good luck with it. 
    Atlanta, GA - Large BGE x 2

• SGH
    Options
    Mickey said:
    You staying dry? 
    Yes sir. That big system sat over is for 3 days. However the heavy rain stayed just south of me. We got very little rain here at the house. But it certainly flooded all around. 

Status- Standing by.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    White sauce is a chicken sauce. Cook up a bird with your coffee rub and put the sauce on after cooking. 
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    PASmoke said:
    I'm sure I'm in the minority here....but, I'm not an overall big fan of white sauce. However, I have found that the best application is on chicken - especially dark meat - applied lightly while the sauce is at room temp and the chicken is just off the Egg and smoking hot. 

Good luck with it. 
    I agree it's kinda like mayo. It's an acquired taste. That's why I spice it up. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Smoker317
    Smoker317 Posts: 238
    Options
    We like to add fresh horse radish to the sauce, as stated above, baste and finally dip!
    Egghead since November 2014, XL-BGE & ET-732
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,661
    Options
    We love white sauce and Big Bob Gibsons is one of our favorites. Use it as a dipping sauce for chicken or pork. Also baste chicken while cooking as @sgh states above. Back in my wood burning days I smoked many a whole chicken basting with this stuff. I need to do it with a spatch chicken in the egg.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    We love white sauce and Big Bob Gibsons is one of our favorites. Use it as a dipping sauce for chicken or pork. Also baste chicken while cooking as @sgh states above. Back in my wood burning days I smoked many a whole chicken basting with this stuff. I need to do it with a spatch chicken in the egg.
    Yes... I really like it on smoked chicken. I just use it as a sauce when I'm ready to eat. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Feenbo
    Feenbo Posts: 37
    Options
    This weekend I made a batch and used it on a BLT, basted chicken kabobs, and mixed it in with chicken salad.
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    I made some yesterday and used it as a dipping sauce, it was great!
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • Hairless_Hand
    Options
    @Killit_and_Grillit are you referring to Moe's Original wings?

White sauce is a unique sauce for smoked chicken.  I prefer to make it at home instead of buying the bottled stuff. There are hundreds of recipes available on the interwebs. I like to add horseradish to my white sauce. 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    White sauce is pretty much only good on chicken. It's mostly mayo so you can baste with it from the get go if you are into that sort of thing.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I think the traditional way to use it is to dunk the chicken in after it is cooked.  

Out of the bottle it might be easier to just pour it on the chicken and use a brush to spread it over the bird.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Usually, when someone asks about Alabama white sauce, my mind goes way off course. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @Killit_and_Grillit are you referring to Moe's Original wings?

White sauce is a unique sauce for smoked chicken.  I prefer to make it at home instead of buying the bottled stuff. There are hundreds of recipes available on the interwebs. I like to add horseradish to my white sauce. 
    http://www.martinsbbqjoint.com

Martins. Down by Belmont. They have some great wings. 

South of Nashville, TN

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Chicken off the egg - dip it - eat it! Very, Very good.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     It works good as a dipping sauce for frickles. And a drizzle as a flavor booster to standard Buffalo style wings is nice for a change of pace.

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim