Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL Egg cracked (again)

Options
boomchke
boomchke Posts: 37
edited July 2016 in EggHead Forum
Hi all.  Some of you might recall I posted a couple months ago after I noticed a hairline crack across the bottom of my XL base.  I was concerned that it might get bigger and crack during higher temp cooks so I called the dealer and they replaced it under warranty.  Since getting the new base - I've been exclusively smoking on the egg.  Its my goal this summer to really get smoking down so thats literally all I've been doing.  However - my wife really had a hankering for some steaks last night so I fired up the egg to 550 to get a good sear on them.  Cooked the steaks, and as I was walking away from the egg I swear I heard a pop.  I initially wrote it off as the neighbors kids but as I was eating I started thinking about all the stories I hear about a loud pop being a sign that the egg had cracked.  After dinner I went out and sure enough - the base once again has a hairline crack in it.  This time its on the front of the egg and looks to extend all the way to the front where the air vent is.

So Im sort of at a loss here.  I've done about 10 smokes on the new base all around 250 and this was the first time I had it up to higher temps at all.  Is it possible I just got a bad base?  I cant sort out why this would have happened.  Im worried that if I dont do anything about it that it might get bigger than on the next high temp cook it might actually crack or something.  I have friends with eggs that routinely get them up to 700 and have never had a problem.  I dont even like letting mine get past 600.  

Has this happened to anyone else with a new base?  Im wondering if these hairline cracks are common and if I should or shouldnt be worried about it.

Thanks

Comments

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    Hmmm? I guess when I upgrade from my medium I'm just getting a large then.
  • boomchke
    Options
    Thats sort of what Im wondering.  Is this common with XLs? 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    I've had my XL for 4.5 yrs and cracked one base. I was 1000F ++ cooking pizzas after it had been raining a lot for a couple days. Your experience isn't typical by any means. 
  • boomchke
    Options
    Well I guess thats good to hear.  I'll call the dealer and ask about a replacement.  Im wondering if there was just a defect in the manufacturing or something.  
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    my XL base cracked a year ago, after 2 years of use and several excursions into inferno range (some by mistake).  I haven't swapped out the base yet, have had zero issues with the crack expanding or anything else, I can still hold low temps, so no appreciable air leak.  It runs from the corner of the vent, under the base to the other side.  I wouldn't be surprised if the XL cracks more often just based on what I read here, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy one again.  I really just need another eggs for smaller cooks.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    @boomchke....IDENTICAL ISSUE FOR ME.   One year ago, xl base cracked, new base arrived under warranty.  Used xl 10 or so times, five low n slow cooks, three pizza parties and a couple of burger/chicken sears for pool parties

Yesterday, after fri nite pizza party, i went to clean out the xl and noticed a hairline crack along base bottom from edge to edge through the entire diameter. The center of the base.   Moreover, the thick firebox also has multiple hairline cracks in it that have me puzzled.   So, tomorrow, ill be sending in photos of my replaced base amd original firebox from xl that have cracks in them so they can be replaced.  Bummed out about this as i just unstalled rutland on xl base....oh well
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Options
    Just my two cents.....My XL also has the hairline crack from under the draft door , down and almost to the back , fire box is cracked on one side , dome is chipped , gasket is gone. 
     For all of that , I will say this much .... BGE warranty is second to none. I have still in the box , new Dome , Base , and Firebox just waiting for things to get bad enough to replace them. When that day comes , I will just order a new fire ring and a KAB  ( I think my CI grate cracked my fire box when it got hot and flexed in a bind ) and keep on Egging. Oh , and the gasket ? Have not used one in three months and can't tell its not even there. :-)
    More meat please !! :-)
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Got two XLs and had one for over 2 years. I've hauled them around strapped down on a flat bed utility trailer and have cooked just about everything using most techniques. Never a problem with cracking yet. Sorry for your loss!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• boomchke
    Options
    From lots of these threads - the reoccurring theme seems to be that your dealers give you replacement parts without asking for the old ones back.  I would love to keep using this base until it became a more serious problem.  However - last time my dealer replaced the base they wanted the old base back.  Im concerned that if I dont file a claim to replace it under warranty now that the crack might become more serious and be harder to fix under warranty.  In other words - I've heard stories of these cracks turning into huge cracks during high temp cooks and causing the base to actually crack into pieces.  I would imagine in that scenario it would be hard to prove to BGE that you didnt cause the damage yourself by dropping the egg or something.

So is it weird that my dealer wants the old parts back?  Seems to me that if this is going to keep happening that it would be in their best interest to let me keep using the one with the hairline crack until I need to replace it because of a larger crack or something along those lines.  

If my dealer isnt on board with this, can I go to another dealer?  Or do you have to do warranty work through the one you purchased the egg through?
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    My XL base has been replaced twice in the past 4 years. I've seen more than a few posts from XL owners who have had similar issues. 

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• boomchke
    Options
    @abpgwolf - When they replace your base - do they ask for the old one back?  Im wondering if I can keep the old and keep using it until the issue is more serious.  
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    It's not just XLs I have had a mini, medium, large and XL base crack over the last 10 years. 
  • abpgwolf
    Options
    @boomchke Both bases were replaced by my dealer after I provided pictures of the cracks. 

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• boomchke
    Options
    @abpgwolf - Gotcha.  Does your dealer make you return the cracked base when you exchange for warranty?  Im wondering if it makes sense to ask to keep the old one and continue to use it until the crack gets bigger.  
  • abpgwolf
    Options
    @boomchke the dealer did not want the cracked bases. 

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• Legume
    Options
    I just emailed two pics to the dealer, he called me when the replacement parts were in and I picked them up - no parts back, etc.  Must be your dealer, tell him to stop being weird.  What does he do with them anyway?
  • boomchke
    Options
    @Legume Thats the thing I cant sort out.  Last time I replaced parts he took my fire ring and base back.  Thing is - I totally would have kept using the old ones until they seriously broke and then used the replacements.  Seems like it would be a good deal for them having to deal with me less but he insisted on having the broken parts back.  I know he took the replacement parts out of one his floor units but I dont know why that would matter.  Thats why I asked about using a different dealer.  Im going to ask this time and if he says something about it I'll try a different one.  
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    I can't quite imagine the base failing and dumping a load of hot lump on, oh I don't know, a wooden deck. Why chance a base? When the parts come in, fix it. 
  • Legume
    Options
    Mine's in a nest, that's just not going to happen, and if it does, it's on concrete.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    I keep my egg on concrete just in case. Nothing flammable for 10 feet in any direction. I just paid off the house 2 years ago.
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    must say this has me worried.  I have never heard (or thought) the XL might have a problem.  I have had mine for about 10 months and have not really looked for a crack.  I cook low and slow and (like today) 600 plus for my pizza.  You guys have me worried.  Not sure how many Xl's are our in backyards and are fine compared to the ones mentions here...
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• Lit
    Options
    JMCXL said:
    must say this has me worried.  I have never heard (or thought) the XL might have a problem.  I have had mine for about 10 months and have not really looked for a crack.  I cook low and slow and (like today) 600 plus for my pizza.  You guys have me worried.  Not sure how many Xl's are our in backyards and are fine compared to the ones mentions here...
    I have been on this and the old forum for a decent amount of years and never seen anyone say a cracked egg fully split and caused a fire hazard. It's kind of a pain when it's the XL that cracks just cause the size but you will see posts about eggs racking all the time and all sizes. They do crack that's why you should never buy a used egg.
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    Lit said:
    JMCXL said:
    I have been on this and the old forum for a decent amount of years and never seen anyone say a cracked egg fully split and caused a fire hazard. It's kind of a pain when it's the XL that cracks just cause the size but you will see posts about eggs racking all the time and all sizes. They do crack that's why you should never buy a used egg.
    Thanks for the followup post.  I will check my XL and MM a little closer what I clean/fill.  Are the cracks very noticeable from both the inside and out?
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• Lit
    Options
    This was from my XL recently. I saw the little chip at the bottom and looked closer and it was cracked. If you pull the firebox and get all the ash out it's pretty easy to spot they usually go across the bottom.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    boomchke said:
    @abpgwolf - When they replace your base - do they ask for the old one back?  Im wondering if I can keep the old and keep using it until the issue is more serious.  

Due to issues with my dealer, I ended up getting the warranty (cracked XL fire ring) handled by the Mother Ship.  And no, they didn't want the old one back.  You can go to any dealer to get the warranty work done.  Some of them recognize that if they help you with your issues, you could become a new customer when you want "other stuff" grill related. Most people don't really like a dealer that is a pain to work with.  Lucky for me, I have choices. There are actually 4 dealers literally within 6 minutes (3 within 2 minutes) of my house.
  • flyerdoc
    flyerdoc Posts: 141
    Options
    onedbguru said:
    boomchke said:

Due to issues with my dealer, I ended up getting the warranty (cracked XL fire ring) handled by the Mother Ship.  And no, they didn't want the old one back.  You can go to any dealer to get the warranty work done.  Some of them recognize that if they help you with your issues, you could become a new customer when you want "other stuff" grill related. Most people don't really like a dealer that is a pain to work with.  Lucky for me, I have choices. There are actually 4 dealers literally within 6 minutes (3 within 2 minutes) of my house.

You must live in Eggtopia!
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    So far i have had a platesetter, fire ring amd one base of an xl replaced under warranty.   I am about to get another base and firebox for xl replaced and in all cases the dealer never asked for the old parta back.  In fact, the last time the base was replaced, the dealer said no when i offered to bring the old part back
  • dfrelich
    dfrelich Posts: 104
    edited July 2016
    Options
    That got me to wonder.  Last Friday, I bought new XL when I picked up my base for the large under warranty.  Same type of crack as above picture.

I asked the dealer about this and the dealer says it's due to fast temperature change in the egg.  Or that the water had leaked in causing some fissure when cooking.  Glad it's under warranty.  

A friend pointed out that replacing under warranty at no cost is better than buying burners, falvorizer bars, grates and ignitor at some $50 every two or three years for his weber.

I didn't bring the old base.  Now my wife was thrilled that she now got a large planter.  I used gorilla glue to secure the crack to gather.   Drilled the hole at the base and covered the vent with left over urethane door/window sealing tape. 

She plan to plant lettuce in it.  She also asked when will she get her XL planter?    Wise one she is... 

X-Large & Large
    Frederick County, MD
  • volfan1
    volfan1 Posts: 164
    Options
    I've had my XL for 5 years and only had to replace the PS which cracked after about 6 months. I'm moving and got my XL packed in a 36" cube box with a whole lot of padding. It's packed in relo-cube which is like a PODS unit but smaller. I tried to get packout for it from my dealer, but they called me after we already had it packed & loaded. I've got my fingers crossed that it will arrive with no crack. 
    XL & Mini & knock off medium. Western North Carolina. Formerly Franklin, TN. Formerly in Palm Harbor, FL.