Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Two Bad Days - another day with the piggies at the farm (longish)

Options
20stone
20stone Posts: 1,961
Background
Back in March, a couple of us purchased and butchered a whole Large Black hog, doing all of the butchering in a kitchen on the farm where the hog was raised.  It all turned out great (see "Salado, bratwurst"), and a couple more folks decided to jump in for round two.  

@pigfisher brought some Mangalista awhile back (see "Salado, pork chops"), so we thought we would give one of those a try.  We bought a market Mangalitsa hog, and fun was had (previously discussed here - http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1196804/tx-pigapallooza)

With an abundance of over-the-topness, we also bought four piglets, two more Mangas, and two Mangalitsa/Swabian Hall crosses, that are all being raised on same farm where we did the original butchering.

Movin' on Up
When this batch of piggies showed up, we ran a fresh water line to the pen the farm gave us, and did our best to mend the fence where it needed it.  However, the pen was smaller and dustier than we were hoping for, so during TX Pigapalooza, @pigfisher and I started laying out another pen, including a feeder for the piggies, more shade, grass, and way more room.  

Today, @pigfisher, @20stonespice and I played rancher again, and I confirmed the degree to which I am old and soft, and not cut out for real work.  Water lines run, fence posts pounded in, feeder carried, backhoe and tractor operated, hot fun all around.

(yes, that is an old trampoline strapped over an abandoned chicken tractor providing shade in the middle of the pen)

...Now the Hard Part
The delicate bit was that the piggies old pen is about 100 yards from the new pen, and we needed to get four no-longer-small across a farm with dogs, horses and donkeys to their new home.  Besides being tasty, pigs are also elusive when on the lam, so (most of us) were concerned.

One of us, however (*cough = @pigfisher = cough*) though we could pull the feeder out of the old pen, and he would lure the piggies Pied Piper style with chunks of watermelon to the new pen.  In his defense, he did pull a similar trick when they escaped the old pen.  Today, however, nuthin doin.  

Today, we opened the fence, luring with the watermelon while we tried to walk them to the new pen.  Epic fail.  @pigfisher did get one of the small ones by the leg, an hauled him to the new pen, and after a number of comically inept attempts to coax, prod and bribe the pigs to go, they responded like three 2 year olds, arms crossed and tantrums in full tilt.  Fortunately the other three eventually returned their old pen.

...Now the Harder Part
Now we asked for some help from "The Pig Whisperer", one of the farm owners.  She gave some surprising, crazy and effective advice.
1) Pen the pigs in a small section of the old pen
2) Grab one by a hind leg and lift it off the ground (as you expect, they aren't totally into this)
3) Put them in a big Rubbermaid Brute trashcan
4) Carry the trashcan 100 yards while fighting the hold the lid on, while 90 lbs of pig tries to get out
5) Step over the charged strands of fence with a wiggling trash can, and turn him loose in his new abode

We did have one get out of the can in transit.  Thankfully, I was able to unleash my rusty rugby skills, diving down for a proper form tackle, and carried him the rest of the way will 90 lbs of pig flopped like a fish in the bottom of a boat.

The Happy Ending
The piggies are now, thankfully, well tucked in inside their shocky wire (three for the pigs down low, one for the mules and horses up high).  Way more room, more grass, more shade.

I might also add, it was nearly 100 degrees today.  It was a real a$% whip.

As one of our number reminds us regularly, you can get pretty good belly at Central Market.  .... Just sayin'

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
GE induction stove
Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Let me be the first member of the Hairy Hog Club for Men to say "thank you".

I just finished eating some of the sausage from last week's trip to the farm and it is outstanding. So thank you @20stone, @20stonespice, and @pigfisher

I'm looking forward to some future harvests. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Options
    DMW said:
    I would have paid good money to drink beer in the shade and watch that performance.
    @DMW, that's a great idea. If we charge admission for the next performance it will offset some of the other costs. To date, counting all expenses I think I'm paying about $30/pound for pig meat and doing a bunch of labor (although not nearly as much as some) for the privilege of doing so.  

But crap, we had a bunch of fun hanging out together and butchering. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Sounds like fun, it was 79 here today with a dew point in the mid 50's. What's a chicken tractor?
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • 20stone
    Options
    DMW said:
    I would have paid good money to drink beer in the shade and watch that performance.
    It turns out that two of the Hairy Hog Club for Men were pounding beers and swapping sausage while I was hog hauling.... slackers
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • 20stone
    Options
    XC242 said:
     What's a chicken tractor?
    A chicken coop on wheels that can be easily moved from pasture to pasture for dirty hippy pasture raised chickens
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Okay, we just call that a portable chicken coop but it belongs to you so you can call it what you want :smiley:
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Foghorn
    Options
    I actually could have - and would have - made it out there today if I had been invited. 

So I don't feel guilty at all about having a beer overlooking Lake Travis with Centex while I went to his house to pick up my knives and sausages. 

San Antonio, TX

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    I actually could have - and would have - made it out there today if I had been invited. 

So I don't feel guilty at all about having a beer overlooking Lake Travis with Centex while I went to his house to pick up my knives and sausages. 
    This is an euphemism. 
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • 20stone
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Next time, then. However, when too many of us are together at one time, work often slips behind cooking and drinking on the priority list.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • Foghorn
    Options
    20stone said:
    Foghorn said:
    Next time, then. However, when too many of us are together at one time, work often slips behind cooking and drinking on the priority list.
    True dat. 

San Antonio, TX

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I've never broken a sweat ordering belly central market and I didn't have to put my latte down. 

You our guys are animals. I feel bad drinking beer at the lake with foghorn...hahahahahahahahahahaha. No I don't. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Thanks I needed a :lol: after this 18 hr day humping service call after service call. (Was a good day nonetheless). Do I see a name change to perhaps The Cen-Tex-piggiewrangler? Or a fitting new forum pic?  Sounds like y'all had your hands full...literally. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I've never broken a sweat ordering belly central market and I didn't have to put my latte down. 

You our guys are animals. I feel bad drinking beer at the lake with foghorn...hahahahahahahahahahaha. No I don't. 
    This comment is the best comment. Pinkies out!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Please tell me you have video of all this. I had to compose myself after reading this,  so I  could compose a response.  

And let me be the 2nd member of the HHCM to thank you. That piggy looks happy! 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • 20stone
    Options

Too soon....too soon.  The truth in your words burns a bit as I limp my way to the coffee pot
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • 20stone
    Options
    Yesterday we added a punkin patch inside the pig pen, reloaded the dirty hippie organic feed (660 lbs worth), and fed the piggies watermelon and hard boiled eggs. 

They are growing at an alarming clip.

Punkin patch.  Come November the fence comes down.

Miney and Moe converting organic grain to sausage.

Mud covered Eenie.

Mmmmmm, huevos!

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Looking good!
    Applaud your efforts.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Is that all on your property?
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    DMW said:
    ....or watch over webcast....pay for view Pig tails if you will.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,661
    Options
    Good looking pigs. Mine would only eat the huevos if you broke them first then they would "tear them up".

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• caliking
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    Don't give him ideas.   It's been hard to keep him in check. 

But dem piggies are coming along nicely! :)

• Foghorn
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    Yeah, @YEMTrey, I'm afraid to know how much of my money @20stone would spend to be able to say "yes" to that question. 

This is more like a pig co-op situation. Centex and @caliking and I intend to keep it that way. 

San Antonio, TX

• 20stone
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    Subleased space at a hog farm near Austin. The other pigs are well treated, but our four live a life of luxury. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • Space_City_Egger
    Options
    Somewhat related. I've been interested in 1/2 a hog. To be fair I want to just buy and not raise or process, I'm not interested in ranch life (yeah accounting), any recommendations are appreciated from what appears to be an experienced crew. 
    Large

Houston,TX
  • 20stone
    Options
    Somewhat related. I've been interested in 1/2 a hog. To be fair I want to just buy and not raise or process, I'm not interested in ranch life (yeah accounting), any recommendations are appreciated from what appears to be an experienced crew. 
    PM me when you have a few minutes.  I can give you some thoughts on options
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,305
    Options
    I remember last spring when my city raise nephew got a call from his bride's grandfather. Come help me with these hogs and you can have half of one. I'm sure he thought they would load them up and carry them to the butcher. Wrong! New grandpa pointed at two hogs and said "shoot the one on the left." Okay no big deal, bang. Then he got introduced into how to process a hog. Afterwards grandpa pointed at the remaining pig and said "now castrate that one" My nephew said that the one he shot was the lucky one, that he got to keep his "pighood till the end". We gave them a deep freeze for a wedding gift and later at his post elopement reception I gave him a pink plastic pig in a card board box.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    20stone said:
    PM me when you have a few minutes.  I can give you some thoughts on options
    Do not PM him. And it's way more than a few minutes and every option is over $1000. You are better off buying a half hog from the "man seeking hog for long term relationship" (it's real, don't Judge me) area of Craigslist. I PM'd him once. It has not gone well. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • caliking
    Options
    Do not PM him. And it's way more than a few minutes and every option is over $1000. You are better off buying a half hog from the "man seeking hog for long term relationship" (it's real, don't Judge me) area of Craigslist. I PM'd him once. It has not gone well. 
    I'm sure "a friend" told you how to find that special corner of CL...

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    DMW said:
    I second this motion. I will gladly pay more to watch this than Broadway. You can't find decent drinks at Broadway, and they frown on comments from the audience mid-stream

im laughing so hard I'm tearing up. Sounds like fantastic fun
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.