Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fresh, home-grown tomatoes.

Options
So this year's crop is coming in strong now. It has been dry but these are worth the wait. When the fresh tomatoes start coming in we usually have them daily in lots of different ways. My favorite is just a plain ole 'mater sandwich with mayo, salt and pepper. I like a slice on a sausage biscuit as well. BLT's are also a favorite. Anyway, they never taste as good from a grocery store or greenhouse than right out of the garden. And the first few of the year seem better than at any other time.
Here is last night's tomatoes, sliced and served with cheese quesadillas and leftover taco meat, salsa, peppers and sour cream. Tasty.

Comments

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    Options
    Forgot to mention, the low carb tortillas were surprising tasty.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I am right there with you brother......a link to one of my earlier threads....http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1194113/the-blt-is-coming-soon-from-a-garden-near-you#latest
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    just into the cherry tomatoes now, the jetstars in my garden are maybe 2 weeks out. love picking that first mater
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Bshults1
    Bshults1 Posts: 145
    Options
    I had a pretty good haul in the spring but this Oklahoma heat has not fared well for my plants. Next year I'll be ditching the containers and going to all raised beds for sure
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    I am right there with you brother......a link to one of my earlier threads....http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1194113/the-blt-is-coming-soon-from-a-garden-near-you#latest
    Great minds...
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Options
    I'm jealous, we had an extended spring with cool temperatures and our garden is doing poorly, no tomatoes yet. I'm starting to think we won't get any this year. 
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Our tomatoes are just now starting to get going.  Love fresh tomatoes.  BLT's, on burgers and we make our own salsa that is amazing. 
    Yours look really good.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• epcotisbest
    Options
    Yes, homemade salsa is the best.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,347
    Options
    No tomatoes ready in Indiana yet, but that sweet corn is ready! 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Looks great!
    Favorite time of year is Aug til Dec...from harvesting to hunting.  

Cannot beat homegrown maters and sweet corn.  Had a BLT yesterday.  Mallmann's burnt tomato bruschetta with goat cheese and anchovies is killer, with homegrown cherry tomatoes. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    A pack of saltines, and a fresh juicy tomato.
    Boom! As a kid that was a lot of meals for me.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    BLT season is one of my favorites!!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Lwoodie
    Lwoodie Posts: 7
    Options
    One of the downsides to living in the upper Midwest is waiting until August for ripe tomatoes...I have a hundred green one's, so we won't go hungry!!
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    Funny song. Thanks for sharing.
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    The green ones are awesome if you fry them and make a BLT with em.

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    My tomatoes are just coming in, but I have this huge rabbit that thinks they are his. He keeps it up and my next thread is going to be:

Flame grilled bunny BLTs on the BGE. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• epcotisbest
    Options
    The green ones are awesome if you fry them and make a BLT with em.

Yeah, my wife makes some awesome fried green tomatoes.
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I gave up urban vegetable gardening because of squirrels. I was more than excited to see local heirlooms and corn at the market today. Seems early in Philly but no complaints. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    edited July 2016
    Options
    dukes + fresh maters + toasted bread = heaven
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    diced tomatoes, diced cucumber, diced onion, a few garlic cloves with a bit of EVOO+18yr aged Balsamic vinegar.

sliced tomatoes, slices of fresh mozzarella, fresh basil, drizzled with EVOO and a good Balsamic vinegar. Warmed just until the mozz starts to melt. (Egg or oven)

Tomato sandwich.  Yrs ago, when I worked at a steel plant, I would take 1/2 loaf of bread, a tomato, a knife, mayo and a pepper shaker.  DANG GOOD.  (yes, the fresh tomato was that big!!)
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    tonyled said:
    dukes + fresh maters + toasted bread = heaven

Yeah, hard to top that, except with a little salt and pepper.
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    onedbguru said:
    diced tomatoes, diced cucumber, diced onion, a few garlic cloves with a bit of EVOO+18yr aged Balsamic vinegar.

sliced tomatoes, slices of fresh mozzarella, fresh basil, drizzled with EVOO and a good Balsamic vinegar. Warmed just until the mozz starts to melt. (Egg or oven)

Tomato sandwich.  Yrs ago, when I worked at a steel plant, I would take 1/2 loaf of bread, a tomato, a knife, mayo and a pepper shaker.  DANG GOOD.  (yes, the fresh tomato was that big!!)

All these sound really good.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    onedbguru said:

Yes they are!!!

@epcotisbest  - I did some of the steel work in some of the pavilions at Epcot. Glad to see they are still standing after 30+ years.
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    onedbguru said:
    onedbguru said:

Yes they are!!!

@epcotisbest  - I did some of the steel work in some of the pavilions at Epcot. Glad to see they are still standing after 30+ years.
    That is amazing. We have been visiting WDW and especially Epcot for many, many years. My favorite of the theme parks. We still go two to three times per year even though we are in our 50s and have no kids. Guess I am all the kid we can afford.
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    I love home grown tomatoes. I miss them. There are so many deer around here that they would eat the plants before they even bloom
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009