Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Under seasoned Brisket, again!

Options
SmyrnaGA
SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
I rarely do briskets, but, when I do, I never get the seasoning right.  It's usually under salted & over peppered.  But, when I was making this last one.  I thought I over seasoned the salt, but, it actually turned out barely salted!?!?!  I trim the fat as per Franklin's videos (1/8 inch fat), remove as much silver skin as I can.  It's the 'free hand' sprinkling of salt & pepper that's making things off.

Question to forum:  How do you "know" you've got enough seasoning?

My plan for the next Brisket is to measure out on a scale EXACTLY how much salt I'll be using based on trimmed weight.  Then sprinkle it all on both sides and let her rip.

For those wondering, I use the platesetter legs up.  One leg under the hinge in the back.  A pizza stone under the 'slot' between the legs under the handle.  Fat side down.  Point toward the hinge (expose to the most heat).  Flat protected by lots of stone in the front.  Cook 250 grate level.  Start probing at 192 IT until 'butter'.

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Looks like my base layer when I do brisket.  I add 2 more kinds of rub on top of that layer though. The Gold Grade I did at Butt Blast last weekend had 3 layers of rub.

First was SPOG, the Oakridge black ops, then Montreal Steak Seasoning. Brisket can really take some rub.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    Yeah, I'd say your free hand style could be the issue. Measure out equal parts salt and pepper and use a shaker, I bought stainless steal ones but also re-use commercial rub containers. Just make sure the holes are big enough to pass both the salt and pepper and always mix well before using since different seasonings will settle and others find their way to the top. A way to combat that is use seasonings with like coarseness.
    just a good even coating and some rest between seasoning and smoking should work.

Good luck!
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    When in doubt, I always use more seasoning!   I'm intrigued by your set-up though - you said, " A pizza stone under the 'slot' between the legs under the handle."   I assume this is to make a larger indirect area.   Is this a common practice??  I've never seen this before.
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    When in doubt, I always use more seasoning!   I'm intrigued by your set-up though - you said, " A pizza stone under the 'slot' between the legs under the handle."   I assume this is to make a larger indirect area.   Is this a common practice??  I've never seen this before.
    Sorry to quote myself, but would it make more sense to have the platesetter pointed toward the front handle, and then use the pizza stone to take up most of the space towards the back off the egg since that's typically the hot spot??  Sorry to take the topic off track... 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SmyrnaGA said:
    I rarely do briskets, but, when I do, I never get the seasoning right.  It's usually under salted & over peppered.  But, when I was making this last one.  I thought I over seasoned the salt, but, it actually turned out barely salted!?!?!  I trim the fat as per Franklin's videos (1/8 inch fat), remove as much silver skin as I can.  It's the 'free hand' sprinkling of salt & pepper that's making things off.

Question to forum:  How do you "know" you've got enough seasoning?

My plan for the next Brisket is to measure out on a scale EXACTLY how much salt I'll be using based on trimmed weight.  Then sprinkle it all on both sides and let her rip.

For those wondering, I use the platesetter legs up.  One leg under the hinge in the back.  A pizza stone under the 'slot' between the legs under the handle.  Fat side down.  Point toward the hinge (expose to the most heat).  Flat protected by lots of stone in the front.  Cook 250 grate level.  Start probing at 192 IT until 'butter'.
    I use 3x that much. you can barely see the meat when I'm done. try using a shaker too. that's pretty uneven. I just save old bottles of rub and make my own to put in there.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Your thread title defines the problem.  Good seasoning advice above!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    GoooDawgs said:
    Sorry to quote myself, but would it make more sense to have the platesetter pointed toward the front handle, and then use the pizza stone to take up most of the space towards the back off the egg since that's typically the hot spot??  Sorry to take the topic off track... 

I was was curious to know that too. From what I have learned about my egg is that the heat rises from the back of the egg, and I have heard people say they put the leg center in the back to break it up. So I did that for a while until I noticed that the heat didn't really distribute evenly, it just moved from one side to another and I had no control over where it would come from. And knowing where your heat is coming from seemed to be better so that you can control your cook better. Like when you put the point of the brisket to the rear because thickest part towards the heat source seems logical to get a more even cook. The pizza stone trick I definately have never heard but assume it's to keep the heat towards the rear as well?
  • admiral21
    admiral21 Posts: 25
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Here is a Brisket I just did, same setup with the platesetter and pizza stone.

My seasoning was 6 parts Pepper, 2 parts Salt, 4 parts Lawry's.  The Seasoning came out perfect.  It looks like mine has quite a bit more pepper than yours so I'm guessing it in turn had more salt.

If it does taste under seasoned don't be afraid to really give it some salt.  The brisket is a huge hunk of meat and isn't scared of too much seasoning.
  • SmyrnaGA
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice.  I'm definitely gun shy with the salt (high blood pressure and all).  I'll bookmark this thread and follow the advice you guys fave shared on my next Brisket (whenever that is).

in Smyrna GA.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,189
    Options
    Do yourself a favor and run over to Sams BBQ1 on Lower Roswell Rd. and pick up some of their Cow Dust. It's the real deal. 
  • SmyrnaGA
    Options

I was was curious to know that too. From what I have learned about my egg is that the heat rises from the back of the egg, and I have heard people say they put the leg center in the back to break it up. So I did that for a while until I noticed that the heat didn't really distribute evenly, it just moved from one side to another and I had no control over where it would come from. And knowing where your heat is coming from seemed to be better so that you can control your cook better. Like when you put the point of the brisket to the rear because thickest part towards the heat source seems logical to get a more even cook. The pizza stone trick I definately have never heard but assume it's to keep the heat towards the rear as well?
    I use this setup to "mimic" an offset.  Watching the Franklin videos, he says the airflow and heat hits the point first and then the flat.  I know the smoke won't flow like that in the egg, but, the heat would.  I like the results this way since more fat seems to render out the point and I get really crispy crust back there.  I guess I could trim more and use a more traditional setup.  But, I'll be happy if I can just be consistent.

in Smyrna GA.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,400
    Options
    @SmyrnaGA -  I too go lighter with the salt to pepper ratio but always ensure I make up for it with garlic and paprika.  Lay down a solid covering of your preferred rub (give it a taste test before you do) and you should be fine.  No bare meat spots.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Do yourself a favor and run over to Sams BBQ1 on Lower Roswell Rd. and pick up some of their Cow Dust. It's the real deal. 
    Gave some of the Sam's BBQ1 brisket rub to @Eggcelsior, @DMW and @Thatgrimguy.  You turned me onto that great rub.  This is good advice and use it liberally!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Franklin's videos call for 1/2 coarse salt, 1/2 coarse pepper.  He even shows you how to distribute it -- what height to let it fall from, how to make sure it gets on he sides, etc.  Because I'm not Him, I tend to load it up pretty good. Haven't had an under seasoning problem yet.  
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options

Butt blast brisket
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @SmyrnaGA
    Always remember, the amount of seasoning that you use up front is a direct reflection of what you will end up with in the end. Here are 3 different examples from light to heavy. 
    First, some ribs dusted ever so lightly with just salt and cayenne. Notice the pretty mahogany color in the absence of heavy bark.  

Next, a brisket with a medium dusting of various seasonings. 

Sorry that I don't have a better pic. But you can see the medium bark to a degree in this pic. 

Last but not least, a very heavy seasoning. You can clearly see the difference that it makes with bark formation. 

If you want a heavy bark, don't be scared to put it to it. The more the better up to a point. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Don't be shy
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Looks like my base layer when I do brisket.  I add 2 more kinds of rub on top of that layer though. The Gold Grade I did at Butt Blast last weekend had 3 layers of rub.

First was SPOG, the Oakridge black ops, then Montreal Steak Seasoning. Brisket can really take some rub.
    Let me tell you that was the best thing I have ever tasted... Spot on..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • shadowrider
    shadowrider Posts: 108
    edited May 2016
    Options
    SmyrnaGA said:
    Thanks for all the advice.  I'm definitely gun shy with the salt (high blood pressure and all).  I'll bookmark this thread and follow the advice you guys fave shared on my next Brisket (whenever that is).

If you are needing to control the salt, the easiest way is making up your own rub without salt.  Apply all the rub you want, then apply the salt separately.

I'm still kicking my own butt, out of necessity (I ran out) I made up a basic rub with brown sugar, garlic powder, red pepper and some other stuff.  Didn't write it down and I don't remember what I put in it.  It was the best rub I've ever used...
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Try throwing some lawyres in the salt and pepper mix!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Franklin's book (which I don't have on hand at present) indicates the amount of seasoning you should be using per lb of brisket. That's probably a good starting point and then you can adjust accordingly.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Season the **** out of it. It's a huge chunk of meat. I've seen @sgh be anal retentive about it.... Adding seasoning as it cooks. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN