Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smash burgers... OMG

Options

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Cashfan said:
    I made smash burgers today. They are outstanding to say the least. I need to get something smash them, as my spatula doesn't work very well and I bent it pretty bad. I also would like to find a cast iron griddle, because my skillet is too small for more than a couple burgers.

These might become my favorite way to have burgers once i get the kinks out of making them.
    If your spatula is flexy just place the spatula on top of the burger but then use a pair of tongs (or a stick or whatever) to press on the spatula on the center of the burger that way you're not really using the handle of the spatula to try and force/flatten the meat.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Wow... I have got to try this!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Cashfan
    Cashfan Posts: 416
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Cashfan said:
    I made smash burgers today. They are outstanding to say the least. I need to get something smash them, as my spatula doesn't work very well and I bent it pretty bad. I also would like to find a cast iron griddle, because my skillet is too small for more than a couple burgers.

These might become my favorite way to have burgers once i get the kinks out of making them.
    If your spatula is flexy just place the spatula on top of the burger but then use a pair of tongs (or a stick or whatever) to press on the spatula on the center of the burger that way you're not really using the handle of the spatula to try and force/flatten the meat.
    After it bent, I used my spatula and pushed down with my potato masher. Its pretty cumbersome, but it worked. The burger would stick to the slots of the spatula, and had a hard time getting it to release. If I make these often, I will need something else.
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Tried these tonight. wife and I loved them.  Very juicy and tasty.  Sorry, no photos.  Two problems... 1) grill not hot enough and did not get enough crust.... 2) used a lodge CI bacon press and the burger stuck to it.  It was so flat that I couldn't get a spatula under it to break it loose.  Next time I will get the grill hotter before I start and grease the burger press first.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    NDG said:
    amazing . . smash burgers are the only kind we make.  I see you put some butter in the pan & used 90-10.  Recently, I have switched over to NO FAT in the pan and higher fat in beef.  Maybe something to try next time & report back?  

I got the idea from this article: http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/03/the-food-lab-maximize-flavor-by-ultra-smashin.html  . . . I still want to try to make their "melty cheese slices" but havent got around to it yet.  Nice cook! 

I use 80/20 and no fat on the griddle, but I would use no fat with 90/10 too.  You want it to stick as that will create a surperior crust.  Use your metal spatula to scrape around the edge until it releases and your burger should have a great crust.

I use two spatulas to smash...the big one on the meat and the small one over it to smash it down.

OP:  great looking burger!!!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    jhl192 said:
    Tried these tonight. wife and I loved them.  Very juicy and tasty.  Sorry, no photos.  Two problems... 1) grill not hot enough and did not get enough crust.... 2) used a lodge CI bacon press and the burger stuck to it.  It was so flat that I couldn't get a spatula under it to break it loose.  Next time I will get the grill hotter before I start and grease the burger press first.  

I also use the lodge CI bacon press to smash my burgers and initially had the sticking problem as well.  The key is to put your bacon press into the heat source for several minutes prior to use, hit it with a quick spray of non-stick just prior to use, and bam .. absolutely no more sticking problems.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • HeavyG
    Options
    Cashfan said:
    HeavyG said:
    Cashfan said:

After it bent, I used my spatula and pushed down with my potato masher. Its pretty cumbersome, but it worked. The burger would stick to the slots of the spatula, and had a hard time getting it to release. If I make these often, I will need something else.
    This is what I use - http://www.amazon.com/Browne-56-Stainless-Steel-Turner/dp/B000VVO91E?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

Veery solid and has a nice sharp edge. It won't bend but even so I'll still use tongs to help flatten just to be considerate of all the old tendons in my wrist. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    You don't need an egg to do these. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • HeavyG
    Options
    I hadn't noticed that anyone said you did.

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    My point was that I see lots of guys throwing a cast iron skillet on an egg to accomplish this simple task when the same thing could be achieved easier and quicker with CI on a cheap gas stove top ( outdoor or indoor).  
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    cazzy said:
    NDG said:
    amazing . . smash burgers are the only kind we make.  I see you put some butter in the pan & used 90-10.  Recently, I have switched over to NO FAT in the pan and higher fat in beef.  Maybe something to try next time & report back?  

I got the idea from this article: http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/03/the-food-lab-maximize-flavor-by-ultra-smashin.html  . . . I still want to try to make their "melty cheese slices" but havent got around to it yet.  Nice cook! 

I use 80/20 and no fat on the griddle, but I would use no fat with 90/10 too.  You want it to stick as that will create a surperior crust.  Use your metal spatula to scrape around the edge until it releases and your burger should have a great crust.

I use two spatulas to smash...the big one on the meat and the small one over it to smash it down.

Smart keeping that pen close to your spatulas so you can take notes...
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited April 2016
    Options
    cazzy said:
    NDG said:

Smart keeping that pen close to your spatulas so you can take notes...
    I honestly have no clue why that pen is there.  :rofl:
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    Options

Great pics and looks delicious.

Did you have much smoke flavor on the hamburger patties? 

I think I would probably find them delicious, but one of the things that I like the most about egg'd hamburgers is that charcoal/smoke taste. Reminds me of Dad. 

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Cashfan said:

@Cashfan  Go to TJMaxx if you have one near by.  I bought this Lodge for $20 there.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• acmoser76
    acmoser76 Posts: 42
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    My point was that I see lots of guys throwing a cast iron skillet on an egg to accomplish this simple task when the same thing could be achieved easier and quicker with CI on a cheap gas stove top ( outdoor or indoor).  
    While I agree, the egg makes the most sense for me. I did smash burgers last night on my stove top and had the smoke detectors go off. It's the same reason I stopped doing reverse sear steaks in the house.
    Indianapolis, IN
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    For Me . . . fish, burgers & anything fried = outside.  (unless fish is en papillote)
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • HeavyG
    Options
    acmoser76 said:
    HeavyG said:
    While I agree, the egg makes the most sense for me. I did smash burgers last night on my stove top and had the smoke detectors go off. It's the same reason I stopped doing reverse sear steaks in the house.
    Ditto.

For years I used to use a carbon steel crepe pan as my go to smash burger pan. Works great but sometimes the smoke does overcome my exhaust hood.

I'll still occasionally do them indoors but prefer to do them outside.

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Awesome burgers!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Chef_Hobo
    Chef_Hobo Posts: 70
    Options
    I also use two spatulas.  If you really want to kick it up a notch or try something different, try sprinkling dry Jerk seasoning on them as they're cooking.  Our house favorite.
  • fishepa
    fishepa Posts: 211
    Options
    fishepa said:
    I changed my Amazon order to the Lodge pizza cast iron, I think that would work better for the Egg.  Updated the link in my post as well.
    I'm going to order one. 
    Got mine today.  It fits perfectly on a large egg and the lid closes.
    War Damn Eagle!
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    @fishepa Can you take a few pics?  Curious how much room you got.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Eggzellent
    Eggzellent Posts: 238
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    It's probably a bit too large for the MiniMax without trimming but would fit perfectly on a Medium BGE.
    If that 'no handle' (or simply buzz the handles off) reversible was made so that the ridges touched an induction stove surface; I'd buy one in the 12.5-13" size for grilling as the Egg does best (closed dome) on the MM as well.
  • MrWilliams
    MrWilliams Posts: 112
    Options
    Those pictures inspired me to pick up a cast iron griddle for my XL last night.  I have a couple of noob questions maybe someone can help with.  The griddle i purchased is a 14 in Lodge.  I'm going to season it today.
    1.  One side is smooth the other side has grooves.  What would i use the grooved side for that i wouldn't use my cast iron grid for?
    2.  Looks like people put the griddle on the cast iron grid raised direct.  Wouldn't it be better to get it closer to the coals?  Maybe even remove the fire ring.  Keeping in mind i'm going to try this on an XL.
    3.  What temp should i try and get the cook surface to?  I've seen anywhere from 500 to 1000.

Looking forward to some burger tonight!!

XL BGE & Mini - CT USA
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Those pictures inspired me to pick up a cast iron griddle for my XL last night.  I have a couple of noob questions maybe someone can help with.  The griddle i purchased is a 14 in Lodge.  I'm going to season it today.
    1.  One side is smooth the other side has grooves.  What would i use the grooved side for that i wouldn't use my cast iron grid for?
    2.  Looks like people put the griddle on the cast iron grid raised direct.  Wouldn't it be better to get it closer to the coals?  Maybe even remove the fire ring.  Keeping in mind i'm going to try this on an XL.
    3.  What temp should i try and get the cook surface to?  I've seen anywhere from 500 to 1000.

I really don't want to give advice until I have done more of these, so hopefully someone else can chime in. However I will say my CI was roaring hot. Way way hotter than 500. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options

Keep in mind I have not done this yet, but plan on doing it tonight.

1.  The grooves would be for someone using the griddle in their kitchen or while camping and using a camp fire to cook.  You certainly can accomplish the same thing using just your CI grate.

2.  My guess for going raised direct would be easier access to flipping the burgers.  If you have a roaring hot fire may not want to be reaching down in the egg trying to scrap the burger off the griddle.

3.  I plan on getting the egg up to 500-600 and then putting the griddle in for about 30 min then start cooking.  Not sure what surface temp will be, but it will be hot.  I wouldn't think you would want to go above 600 or you might burn your seasoning off.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Webass
    Webass Posts: 259
    Options

I use my Home Depot model Weber Spirit gasser.  The center round CI grid is interchangeable with a drop in CI griddle.  I get the temp up to 500, drop on Smart Balance margarine (it doesn't burn) and then my loosely formed 80/20 ground beef.  I put a piece of parchment paper on the meat to keep it from sticking and smash with the bottom of a 8" CI skillet.  Flip after 90 seconds with a sturdy spatula. I sharpen my spatula on a stone so it'll get the burger turned without losing any of the crust.  After flipping I add salt, pepper, grilled onions, cheese, and go for another 60 seconds.  I thrown on buns brushed with canola oil and get'em nice and toasty.   

I like the gas grill over my LBGE for smash burgers since I can go from start to finish in less than 15 minutes.  If we've got company and I'll be making more than 3, I use the egg and my Lodge 17" CI skillet it sits nicely on the PSwoo2.      

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Here's what I use, but with the handle cut off.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Eggzellent
    Eggzellent Posts: 238
    Options
    I'd still like to find that raised/smooth 12"-13" cast iron griddle with the raised portion higher than the diameter lip..yet the GrillGrates basically accomplish the same thing when flipped (holes aside).
  • HeavyG
    Options

3.  I plan on getting the egg up to 500-600 and then putting the griddle in for about 30 min then start cooking.  Not sure what surface temp will be, but it will be hot.  I wouldn't think you would want to go above 600 or you might burn your seasoning off.

I use a CI griddle on my KJ Jr. to do smash burgers (there is a link to the one I use in a previous post).

I was curious as to how evenly it heated so a while back I took a thermal image of it. The dome temp reading on the KJ thermo was at about 400°F. It's hard to see the temp reading in the graphic near the center but the temp was about 560°F. It heated pretty uniformly (I don't recall what the temp gradient was over to the edge). The seasoning was not harmed.

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    edited April 2016
    Options
    This unit worked well for me, however it doesn't see much use these days as I have a Blackstone.  

http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-7414-Reversible-Griddle/dp/B00062WTQ0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Bayou Classic 7414 14quot Round Cast Iron Reversible Griddle

Blackstone is much easier!  

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site