Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Other expensive hobbies

Options
other than dropping money into new eggcessories and food for your Big Green Egg, what other expensive hobbies are you into? Personally I enjoy shooting guns and brewing beer. i got into home brewing thinking I would save money as I am a craft beer drinker but much like owning an Egg I've spent thousands in brewing equipment. 

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Marriage and 3 teenagers.  I think I've spent more on baseball than I have on cars. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Options
    i'm into fishing and fish a lot of tournaments.  also competition bbq.  doesnt get much more expensive than those 2 hobbies.  glad i never really got into golf.   

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• shadowcaster
    Options
    I fly fish...the only hobby I can think of that is cheaper is maybe yachting! Haha
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Options
    Fly fishing and shooting skeet.  Skeet guns make egging seem like a reasonably priced addiction.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Fishing, Ammo, Tools (not a hobby but, I have a lot of specialty tools for work....love what I do). Cooking & baking is my favorite thing and $ has definitely been invested into this pastime. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Offshore fishing here!!  50 Viking. Just put 36k in it for "routine" maintenance. 
    And right behind that is traveling. 

Egging is cheap compared to those two. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    RVing. They say you save money on hotel rooms, but they don't tell you about diesel fuel, oil changes, routine maintenance on these beasts. Wouldn't stop traveling with my family for the world, though.
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    The motorcycle was my first expensive habit then the egg came along.  

I'm assuming the E-Ville is Evansville,In.  What part?  I'm just on the other side of the money saving bridge. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • E-ville Egg
    E-ville Egg Posts: 100
    Options
    LlMattman3969 said:
    The motorcycle was my first expensive habit then the egg came along.  

I'm assuming the E-Ville is Evansville,In.  What part?  I'm just on the other side of the money saving bridge. 
    Essexville, MI actually. 
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Options
    marriage,fishing, fly fishing, shooting, collecting custom hunting rifles and reloading the ammo. 
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Single Malt Scotch
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Competition BBQ, RVing, Boating and home improvement. I had to drop something so Aquariums are now at work only and not eating into my personal budget.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • jeffwit
    Options
    @Darby_Crenshaw, that is really cool. I have been wanting to get into that, but haven't really known where to get started. 
    Jefferson, GA
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options

@Darby_Crenshaw - where in NC?  We have family in Rockingham/Hamlet area and in High Point.

Expensive hobbies - kids and all their extracurricular activities.  Looking for others to add....

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• jeffwit
    Options
    Here's a pic of my rig. 
    Jefferson, GA
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited March 2016
    Options

@Darby_Crenshaw - where in NC? 

Was actually "NYC", New York City
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    @Mattman3969  youre in illinois? Im in Marion. 

Expensive hobbies- brewing beer and wine, and guns. 

Im starting a 1-2 acre vineyard next year. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Photography 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited March 2016
    Options

jeffwit said:
    @Darby_Crenshaw, that is really cool. I have been wanting to get into that, but haven't really known where to get started. 
    Should start with what you know and like. Never take anyone's word for it, read up on what you collect. 

Have a focus, too. A thousand unrelated books isn't a collection, it's a bunch of old books. But even just two books, related by a theme, can be a collection

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    @Mattman3969  youre in illinois? Im in Marion. 

Expensive hobbies- brewing beer and wine, and guns. 

Im starting a 1-2 acre vineyard next year. 
    I'm on the Ky side of the river.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Two kids in college.  And travel.

The highlights include:
    Galapagos
    Kenya
    Germany
    Alaska
    Hawaii
    Yosemite
    Yellowstone (in the winter)
    South Africa (World Cup)
    Costa Rica
    Bermuda
    Bahamas (Marsh Harbour)
    Brazil (World Cup)
    St. Lucia

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    @henapple beat me to it, but marriage has been the most expensive thing I have ever done. 

She wanted the bigger house and then the top of the line pool, etc. I was content at the other house that was paid for. 

Of course private school for two isn't cheap either. Not complaining just pointing it out. 

I do have a country club membership, but I never play anymore. That is for my son. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,406
    Options
    Is this a side-ways man-hood validation thread for some?  Flack jacket on :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.