Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lint to start your fire?

Options
I go camping a couple of times a year, and before I go I save up lint from my dryer and toilet paper tubes to make easy fire starters. Could I use the same thing to light my egg? I don't see why not, but I figure someone here may have some experience with some thing like this. 

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

No disrespect to your method, but that seems like way to much effort.

Torch or oiled paper towels for lump.  Gasoline and a match for campfires.

Phoenix 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    nolabrew said:
    I go camping a couple of times a year, and before I go I save up lint from my dryer and toilet paper tubes to make easy fire starters. Could I use the same thing to light my egg? I don't see why not, but I figure someone here may have some experience with some thing like this. 
    Sounds like a winner to me! At least you know where it came from, plus being in your BGE. Many Many Many years ago I encoutered a human turd on the grate of a camp ground grill and ever since then I have never trusted any grill/grate other than my own!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RiverRatSkier
    Options
    There are plenty of other methods available, but if you really want to, give it a try.  I would ensure there are no synthetic materials being used for this lint collection (and probably a few loads before).  Cotton only might be ok.  To me, it would not be worth the risk to try it though.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    $15.00 for a charcoal chimney. Paper. Match. Done. Light, wait 10 mins, dump.
    Always works. Always.
    The children made those things in school, we had to take them camping, we had to light the fire with them. That is over. 
    No way I burn dryer lint coated with fabric softener in the egg. It is seasoned the way I like it.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    this is easier than collecting lint and you can stock pile a years worth in 5 minutes. u use starting fluid and a match for camping fires
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1143722/napkin-and-oil-trick-was-messy/p1

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolabrew
    nolabrew Posts: 246
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    $15.00 for a charcoal chimney. Paper. Match. Done. Light, wait 10 mins, dump.
    Always works. Always.
    The children made those things in school, we had to take them camping, we had to light the fire with them. That is over. 
    No way I burn dryer lint coated with fabric softener in the egg. It is seasoned the way I like it.
    I used a chimney for a long time, but I found that by using the egg as a chimney you can light it a lot faster and more evenly. 

I agree with you about the fabric softener and the seasoning, that's the reason I'm not sure if I want to try this. 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    No risk. Burn that sh!t no problem

if you have a bunch made up for camping, have a ball

don't put in a whole paper TP roll filled with it though. Way too much

I use pape napkin and a light drizzle of oil myself. Tried it all, and it's the fastest/easiest thing for me. Note: "for me"
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• YukonRon
    Options

I do the towel with the oil as well. I like both. All you have to do with the chimney is one half sheet of paper, dump and BGE does the rest.

something really cool, take a small bag of potato chips, light it in the egg.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    What else are bellybuttons good for?
    Options
     RRP said:
    nolabrew said:
    Sounds like a winner to me! At least you know where it came from, plus being in your BGE. Many Many Many years ago I encoutered a human turd on the grate of a camp ground grill and ever since then I have never trusted any grill/grate other than my own!

I love how you specified human poop, as though finding dog or deer poop on the grill would have kept your faith in public grills.  =)

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Acn said:
     RRP said:
    nolabrew said:

I love how you specified human poop, as though finding dog or deer poop on the grill would have kept your faith in public grills.  =)

Yeah.  Maybe it was just dog poop.  Did you taste it to be sure?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Foghorn said:

Yeah.  Maybe it was just dog poop.  Did you taste it to be sure?
    Guess the dog had been reading the newspaper sheet it used to wipe with, huh?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    Rags to wipe your butt??
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,686
    Options
    Lay's potato chips work great as well for lighting charcoal......the really light thin cut ones.  They burn like crazy.  Learned that idea from my arson investigator buddy.  
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Dogs don't eat corn.  Duh
    Options
    Lay's potato chips work great as well for lighting charcoal......the really light thin cut ones.  They burn like crazy.  Learned that idea from my arson investigator buddy.  
    To make a vehicle useless for evidence, a couple bags of chips are lot and thrown inside. I have used Fritos and a Bic lighter for years when backpacking to start a campfire.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Options
    You guys scare me...

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    SmyrnaGA said:
    You guys scare me...
    You've been around 2.5 yrs and this scares you?  Seriously?
  • SmyrnaGA
    Options
    SmyrnaGA said:
    You guys scare me...
    Potato chips as fire starter??? What's next, chocolate into napalm???

in Smyrna GA.

• YukonRon
    Options
    CSmyrnaGA said:
    SmyrnaGA said:
    You guys scare me...
    Potato chips as fire starter??? What's next, chocolate into napalm???
    Um, if you can get it to jell, yeah.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SmyrnaGA
    Options
    First and only time I used greased paper towels was crazy.  My charcoal must have been damp since it was not starting with those square cubes.  I made some bacon that morning and remembered reading about it here.  So I thew a wad of it on the top of the pile and went back into the kitchen to wash my hands.  I came back out to a tower of flames...

in Smyrna GA.

• YukonRon
    Options
    Cool.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I'd be a little worried about the makeup of the lint unless everything you wash and dry is 100% cotton.  Do you want to be starting a fire in the egg with synthetic fibers (nylon, polyester, etc.)?
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    njl said:
    I'd be a little worried about the makeup of the lint unless everything you wash and dry is 100% cotton.  Do you want to be starting a fire in the egg with synthetic fibers (nylon, polyester, etc.)?

This was my first thought when I saw this title.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    I don't know about lint.  But I know that in cold weather (below freezing) on a camping trip, a paper towel soaked with bacon grease catches fire very easily and a store-bought firestarter square does not.  I was very glad that someone here had taught me that. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    Options
    Used to cook on C4 Plastic explosive in the military .We always had some with us .Burns like Sterno .Field expediency ! Paper towel and veggy oil for my Egg #1. Home expediency .
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    Hmmmmm......fabric softener in the Egg. I'll pass. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • YukonRon
    Options
    sctdg said:
    Used to cook on C4 Plastic explosive in the military .We always had some with us .Burns like Sterno .Field expediency ! Paper towel and veggy oil for my Egg #1. Home expediency .
    Better than sterno. We would strip small slivers. Nothing compares to C4 when using solid form combustion at ambient temps. Nothing.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    nolabrew said:
    I don't know about using lint, I guess if your clothing is all cotton, it might not be bad, but I wouldn't want to burn a bunch of synthetic fibers in my cooking appliance.  Not sure I want burnt nylon, burnt polypropylene, etc on my egged cuisine.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    For the most part those synthetic fibers don't come off as lint, they are continuous filaments as opposed to staple fibers like wool or cotton. You'll get the occasional long string out of a sock or nylon garment. Pills on a cotton/poly blend shirt are broken fibers from the cotton, for example. However, why chance it?  There are so many other ways to skin that cat.