Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Peach Butt Time Again - pic heavy

Options
YukonRon
YukonRon Posts: 16,989
edited December 2015 in EggHead Forum
Set the alarm last night, (after a couple, well ok, a few, alright I had several, I got issues ok?) for 0300. I got up at 0400. (I am lazy and drink too much ok?)
I went to the fridge, pulled out the pork butt from a brine of molasses, pickling salt and water, which had been immersed for 32 hours.That is the best I could do with my iPhone camera at an early hour. (Ok, I know, lousy photographer, lazy and drinks too much)
I have found, during the prep for this cook, it is wise to use some rubber gloves and have a roll of paper towels ready. You will need them. It is a mess, but well worth it.
You need them because after patting the butt dry, I slather a layer of mustard over the entire surface area of the butt, and it is messy.It keeps your hands from getting really messy. I use a healthy dose of plain French's mustard, you can use olive oil, I choose mustard because, well it is cheap. (I know, lazy, cheap, drinks too much, messy and a lousy photographer) you will not taste it, its only purpose is to hold the rub in place. I use Ron's Rub. It is a really good rub. I make my own from garlic, onion, coarse black pepper, brown sugar, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, chili pepper, and coarse sea salt. I make it because I don't like to spend too much money, however owning a $"Big Green"$ Egg, my destiny has been determined. I just try to round the edges down so it won't cut too deep in the bank account. (ok, I am broke, cheap, lazy, drink too much, messy and a lousy photographer)
After putting the rub on, it is time for a healthy layer of peach preserves.
I used Smuckers. If you are fortunate enough to have home made preserves use that. This really gets sloppy. You have to slather it on. I use a spoon to dose it out of the jar, and smear it with my gloves over the entire surface. I  use about one full jar. Some will slide off, and that's ok, just slap it back on mixed with any of the rub that is laying around with it.
Now you are ready to put that bad boy on the BGE at 225F to an internal temp of around 203F. It will take a while.
I use the place setter, legs up, foiled and I place a modified foil aluminum pan under the cooking grid to catch all the stuff that falls, drips, leaks, off and out of the Peach covered, with a really good rub, held on by cheap mustard, after brining for 32 hours. I smoke with chunks of pecan and peach mixed in with a whole lot of lump.
I got this light for free when I attended a conference for work. It is LED, battery operated and designed with a hook that works any angle you can imagine and also works as a stand. It is very cool perfect light for the food and surface, it also has a flashlight function on the bottom.
I also use a lantern, because, well I like extra light when setting up everything in the dark. I drop stuff. A lot. Being almost blind, I need all the help I can get. (Ok I know, old, clumsy, nearly blind, bad photographer, broke, messy, cheap, lazy and I drink too much, .....My Beautiful Wife got a real winner here folks, I totally out kicked my coverage marrying her) but hey, everyone thinks I am a great cook after eating this. We will just keep the other stuff a secret if you don't mind.
"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
Louisville, Kentucky

Comments

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    For a guy with just a few self admitted minor hang ups it looks OK so far! Can't wait to see your not so good photo of the finished Butt. Say hello to you so lucky wife!

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Have to try this!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Options
    Entertaining write up - even with the crappy pics.  
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Ha ha ha.

Waiting for the finish
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    I'll drink to that.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    Interested in the peach preserves....  Does it impart any flavor into the meat unit??

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    Looking forward to the remaining excursion to greatness!
    Crappy pics & all!  =)
    May as well get a bloody mary mixed, if you can find the vodka, not drop the glass, and if your feeling to lazy, maybe your beautiful wife will help. 
    Oh,,,, turn the lights off too.  B)
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Interested in the peach preserves....  Does it impart any flavor into the meat unit??
    It does, indeed. It is a great contrast to the smokey, spicy flavor in the crust. After it is done, I mix about 3 large table spoons of the preserves in a spicy BBQ sauce, for those that like sauce, it is divine.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Looking forward to a bad photographed finish pic. :lol: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,406
    Options
    @YukonRon- I can quite closely relate to your issues but such is life.  I'm sure the finale will be most eggcellent.  Great cook and documentation, even with all the challenges ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    For a guy with just a few self admitted minor hang ups it looks OK so far! Can't wait to see your not so good photo of the finished Butt. Say hello to you so lucky wife!
    Will do. I will post when finished, pushing for about a 2:30 finish, hopefully.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

Durangler said:
    Looking forward to the remaining excursion to greatness!
    Crappy pics & all!  =)
    May as well get a bloody mary mixed, if you can find the vodka, not drop the glass, and if your feeling to lazy, maybe your beautiful wife will help. 
    Oh,,,, turn the lights off too.  

Iwill tey try to do better with the pics, no guarantees on the rest.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

lousubcap said:
    @YukonRon- I can quite closely relate to your issues but such is life.  I'm sure the finale will be most eggcellent.  Great cook and documentation, even with all the challenges
    Thanks Cap! Getting old beats the alternative, sometimes not by much.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

Looking forward to a bad photographed finish pic. :lol: 
    I'd like to blame it on the camera, but nah, it is me.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    It has been on now for about 8 hours holding steady at 225F pit and has been in a foot dragging stall for a couple of hours around 160F IT......still waiting.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • maso
    maso Posts: 240
    Options
    That's looks phenomenal! One question though. I'm not a fan of that low a temp in general. I typically run 275+ depending on my timeline. How hot is too hot with the preserves, do you think? I think I may try this for a non traditional Christmas meal! 
    Large BGE in Moore, OK
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Awaiting the awesome finish here brother!!  Another great cook!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • YukonRon
    Options
    maso said:
    That's looks phenomenal! One question though. I'm not a fan of that low a temp in general. I typically run 275+ depending on my timeline. How hot is too hot with the preserves, do you think? I think I may try this for a non traditional Christmas meal! 
    I have turbo'd this before with no issues, around 300F
    Merry Christmas.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    163F IT, stalled since 1100. This puppy is crawling to the finish line. Once it decides to roll, it will be awesome.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @YukonRon - Looking good brother. The Pork Gods are looking down from above with envious eyes. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Meeeshigan22
    Options
    The last butt we did was slathered in peach preserves, injected with peach juice, and Georgia peach for smoke. Best butt I've had by a long shot, will do again.
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • eggsurance_agent
    Options
    Looking good, let us know how it goes. May have to try this soon.
    LBGE
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Ron, set that awesome glass of wine down and feed us the finish my friend!!
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited December 2015
    Options
    @YukonRon  Ron, I didn't realize you were such a no account. From now on, you will be my mentor. I can see myself learning a lot from you. I think egging and lazzy goes together. Some times you just need to sit back an just relax. My motto is ......if you were in a hurry, you should have started sooner. By the way.......nice job on the butt, at least what I have see of it so far. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • bgebrent
    Options
    @YukonRon  Ron, I didn't realize you were such a no account. From now on, you will be my mentor. I can see myself learning a lot from you. I think egging and lazzy goes together. Some times you just need to sit back an just relax. My motto is ......if you were in a hurry, you should have started sooner. By the way.......nice job on the butt, at least what I have see of it so far. 
    @northGAcock, that butt was done a few hours ago!  Ron is just taunting us now.  ;)
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Hey folks, as is coming to be the norm, whenever we plan a dinner party, this time for 6, as soon as others find out we are doing the Peach Butt, the guest list grows.
    We has 14 for dinner. No kidding.
    only image I got is about 1/10th of the butt left. This cook, was the longest stall I have ever had on anything I have cooked. It started at 1100, and burst out at 1930ish. 8.5 hours. Wow. But worth it.
    That is all that was left of an 8.4 pound butt. Sorry, but I had not planned for everyone coming over. We served au gratin potatoes (gone) roasted white asparagus (gone). I made a mustard based Carolina BBQ sauce, and mixed in some maple syrup. Awesome. Just awesome. Pork did not need it, but it was killer. Absolutely Killer.
    We killed time by emptying my cellar of the rest of my French Burgundy, and my Sequoia Grove Cab, while busting out the Buffalo Trace to make home made egg nog. My wife's grandmother's recipe. Samples were tried. Delicious. Letting set for 48 hours then putting in the ball jars.
    To anyone that reads this, try this peach butt recipe. I will tell you, it redefines delicious when it comes to pulled pork.
    I am making a couple for some friends, and 6 for charity over the next few days.
    Count our blessings.
    Thank you for reading.
    Merry Christmas.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Yup, worth it Ron!  How awesome you were able to share that with so many friends.  Kudos man.  You and your's have a very merry Christmas.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

You can add taking finished food port pics to the list of faults you have going!

We've been punked with an emply pan finish pic!  smh

I did a couple butts last weekend for my folks - they said it was the best they've ever had - one was traditional mustard rub and one was peach.  The difference is small, but certainly there.

Phoenix 
  • YukonRon
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Yup, worth it Ron!  How awesome you were able to share that with so many friends.  Kudos man.  You and your's have a very merry Christmas.
    Thank you brother. I appreciate the kindness. Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones. If you ever get up this way, I will have a place at the table for y'all.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bgebrent
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    bgebrent said:
    Thank you brother. I appreciate the kindness. Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones. If you ever get up this way, I will have a place at the table for y'all.
    That will happen brother, I guarantee it!  Kinda glad your sticking in the 'ville.  Selfish on my part.