Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Peach Butt Time Again - pic heavy

Options
2»

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,991
    Options
    blasting said:

You can add taking finished food port pics to the list of faults you have going!

We've been punked with an emply pan finish pic!  smh

I did a couple butts last weekend for my folks - they said it was the best they've ever had - one was traditional mustard rub and one was peach.  The difference is small, but certainly there.

Curious, did you brine?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    YukonRon said:
    bgebrent said:
    Yup, worth it Ron!  How awesome you were able to share that with so many friends.  Kudos man.  You and your's have a very merry Christmas.
    Thank you brother. I appreciate the kindness. Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones. If you ever get up this way, I will have a place at the table for y'all.
    That will happen brother, I guarantee it!  Kinda glad your sticking in the 'ville.  Selfish on my part.
    Our home is humble, but always comforting and welcoming. Anytime my friend, anytime.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    blasting said:

You can add taking finished food port pics to the list of faults you have going!

We've been punked with an emply pan finish pic!  smh

I did a couple butts last weekend for my folks - they said it was the best they've ever had - one was traditional mustard rub and one was peach.  The difference is small, but certainly there.

Curious, did you brine?

Nope - injected.  I was at their winter rental - took the UDS to leave there for the winter so I've got something to cook on.

I think I'll be brining moving forward.  Brining is cleaner and simpler, for me anyway.  Might try injecting mid cook to see what that does to the finished product

Btw, are you still moving in January?
    Phoenix 
  • YukonRon
    edited December 2015
    Options
    @YukonRon  Ron, I didn't realize you were such a no account. From now on, you will be my mentor. I can see myself learning a lot from you. I think egging and lazzy goes together. Some times you just need to sit back an just relax. My motto is ......if you were in a hurry, you should have started sooner. By the way.......nice job on the butt, at least what I have see of it so far. 
    Thank you for the kind words. Sorry about the last image, but the food got away from me before I had a chance to sit. This cook has become legendary here in the 'hood. If you have not tried this yet, you should. It was awesome.
    Merry Christmas.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

Looking good, let us know how it goes. May have to try this soon.
    Try it. Let me know when you do, and I will help anyway I can. You will like it.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

SGH said:
    @YukonRon - Looking good brother. The Pork Gods are looking down from above with envious eyes. 
    I did not get much, folks around here started showing up for the dinner party we did not plan for, which seems to be to be expected when the Peach Butt is being done.
    I am curious, I have never had a Butt stall for around 8.5 hours, and it frequently lost IT temp. Have you had similar experiences?
    Merry Christmas.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    YukonRon said:

SGH said:
    @YukonRon - Looking good brother. The Pork Gods are looking down from above with envious eyes. 
    I did not get much, folks around here started showing up for the dinner party we did not plan for, which seems to be to be expected when the Peach Butt is being done.
    I am curious, I have never had a Butt stall for around 8.5 hours, and it frequently lost IT temp. Have you had similar experiences?
    Merry Christmas.
    I'm assuming yours was bone in.  At the low temps the stall can be unexpectedly long.  And every butt is it's own beast.  When the stall becomes prolonged I bump the temp.  For me, that means from 250/75 to 350.  Turns out great.  I beleive that would be true even with the sugar content or your rub.
    8.5 is long, not doubt.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • YukonRon
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    YukonRon said:

SGH said:
    Merry Christmas.
    I'm assuming yours was bone in.  At the low temps the stall can be unexpectedly long.  And every butt is it's own beast.  When the stall becomes prolonged I bump the temp.  For me, that means from 250/75 to 350.  Turns out great.  I beleive that would be true even with the sugar content or your rub.
    8.5 is long, not doubt.
    I kicked it up the last couple hours to 350, to push it through. I did do a bone in butt.  I have done turbos before @ 325F, had no issues with the sugars in the preserves. One thing I tried that was incredibly delicious was the mustard based BBQ sauce with maple syrup mixed in. I am absolutely sure it was some sort of sacrilege being committed, but, man it was awesome on the pulled pork. Flavor sensory overload. Everyone that tried it loved it. Our daughter loves the peach preserves mixed in the Tomato molasses based sauce we do. If you try this, let me know what you think.
    Thank you for the feedback.
    Merry Christmas.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Going to make German pulled pork Dannie's today with rye bread, rauchkäse and German mustard. Post whatever I make around lunch!

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Looks great.  I will definitely be giving this a try soon.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL