Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza peel

Options
Quickly becoming one of my favorites is doing pizza on my BGE, but even with lots of corn meal I'm having difficulty getting the thing to slide off my pizza peel onto the stone. Im using a faux wood peel. Any suggestions? Is metal better? This is before and after btw, it was really good!

Comments

• AVEngineer
    Options
    I always start my pizza cooks on parchment paper and pull it out after a few minutes.  I recently found some pizza screens and am looking to see how that goes.  Also I use a metal peel. Nice looking pizza.
    Medium BGE , iGrill2
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Yep, parchment paper is the answer.  Saved my pizza career.
    NOLA
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Metal is much worse to slide uncooked pies off. Wood for putting pie on, metal for taking off is my routine. If you use parchment, the metal works. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    If you're dealing with a wet dough then building the pies quickly helps and try Semolina flour vs corn meal. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    All your problems will be solved with rice flour.

Rice flour is like little ball bearings.  As your topping your pizza give the peel a little shake once and a while to keep the dough from sticking.

The other great thing about rice flour is it can handle high heat. I cook my pizza's in a wood fired oven at 900f and no problems yet.

In Canada a bad of rice flour at Walmart costs $8 a little expensive but it lasts four ever.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Pizza looks good! I've never used a composite peel so I don't know how they behave. I understand aluminum is supposed to be kinda sticky. I've been using my two wooden peels for 20 years now, with a tiny pinch of semolina. Never had a pie stick to it. Shake it a bit after every ingredient addition and work fairly quickly. Tried parchment, but only once. Didn't like the crust texture and never used it again. I think it's easier with semolina anyway.

I build the pie, launch it onto the stone, remove it and then cut it all on my peel. Here's mine, with semolina. If you look closely, you can actually see it. :) That's all I ever use...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Parchment, ding ding.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,908
    Options
    Parchment, ding ding.

I agree! After 7 or 8 minutes I slide my peel between the pizza and paper and remove the paper - that way the crust will brown up nicely.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited December 2015
    Options
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Lots of varying opinions by guys who know their stuff.

As a matter of pride, I insisted on learning to do it without parchment.  Also, as I recall, parchment rated to only about 400 degrees.

Semolina flour, metal peel, and cast iron pizza pan gets my vote.

Phoenix 
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Agree @blasting
    Starting out I had many failed launches using flour. Moved to parchment. Got my dough down pat and moved to corn meal. Didn't like the texture and went to a more traditional semolina and haven't looked back. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    No one can say Andris Lagsdin doesn't have  sense of humor. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishindoc
    Options
    Nphuskerfl....that was funny! 
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Done with the much maligned parchment paper launch.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    corn meal burns too easily so I have also gone to semolina. I build the pizza on a wooden peel and remove it with a metal one.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

This guy is hilarious!  Haven't watched any others, but subscribed to his channel for future.  
    Phoenix 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I use parchment and don't even remove until the pie is done. It does not affect the crust in any way. I also have a super peel and that thing works like a champ. I never use it though. Parchment is easier and there is no clean up.

the super peel will pick up a dime off my counter top. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • NavyMatty
    Options
    I use a wooden peel to put them on with probably too much corn meal to make the slide onto the stone easier.  I make my pizzas cracker-thin, so I can't afford to have them stick (the dough will tear).  I use a metal peel to pull them--this helps if you have a little cheese/pepperoni oil get on the peel during the pull.  Oil on a wooden peel can cause dough to stick.  If you do multiple pizzas a night, a 2nd peel is key--you can be building the next one when the first pizza is in the egg.  I overdo it with cornmeal, but to each his own.  Between pizzas, I use a dough scraper to clean the cornmeal off the stone--burnt cornmeal does NOT have good flavor.  The most pizzas I've done in a night is 10--no sticking at all.  One last thing... figuring out, as I call it, "the shake" takes some practice--this is making sure the dough "floats" on the peel...  I check the shake before any ingredients go on and then again once everything's on the pizza...  Usually, but not always, a good shake (or jerk of the peel) will float the pie.  Once you've floated it, it's easier to float it a second time.  Get it floated before you open the egg to put the pie on so you can get it on the stone and close the lid down ASAP.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    I use parchment and don't even remove until the pie is done. It does not affect the crust in any way. I also have a super peel and that thing works like a champ. I never use it though. Parchment is easier and there is no clean up.

I cook pies between 550º-650º (wherever the egg is happiest that day). Never had an issue with parchment. I can use flour, but parchment is easier - no fuss no clean-up. I do pull after the initial crust springs, about 3 or 4 minutes. As I pull the paper I rotate the pie to help cook evenly. For a peel, I use one of SWMBO's aluminum pro baking sheets, they have three edges and one side with no lip, much like a big dust pan. Most peels have a handle for reaching into an oven, found I didn't need it for working on the egg. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited December 2015
    Options
    If you don't let it sit on the peel too long, it comes right off.   The thing is, if it sits there too long the condensation from the colder dough or ingredients builds up between the dough and the egg and it'll stick.

I put some of that stone ground corn flour down on the peel and I don't put the pizza dough on it until I'm ready to make it!
    Then since I have all my ingredients cut and ready, it's a quick assembly and then slide onto the stone.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

I cook pies between 550º-650º (wherever the egg is happiest that day). Never had an issue with parchment. I can use flour, but parchment is easier - no fuss no clean-up. I do pull after the initial crust springs, about 3 or 4 minutes. As I pull the paper I rotate the pie to help cook evenly. For a peel, I use one of SWMBO's aluminum pro baking sheets, they have three edges and one side with no lip, much like a big dust pan. Most peels have a handle for reaching into an oven, found I didn't need it for working on the egg. 
    i cook up there too. sometimes I pull it if it comes loose when I rotate. Other wise I just leave it until it's done. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    I always start my pizza cooks on parchment paper and pull it out after a few minutes.  I recently found some pizza screens and am looking to see how that goes.  Also I use a metal peel. Nice looking pizza.
     Ditto on the parchment, but I use a REAL wood peel. I actually use the Reynolds Parchment/Foil (foil side down) - keeps it from burning when > 650
    Pull it out about a minute before it is "done".  (Although at ~675-700 it is generally done in ~2 minutes.
  • kirkiver
    Options
    The problem with parchment is that it creates and traps steam between the paper and the crust, this interferes with the texture development of the crust. flour, semolina, and corn meal will all keep the dough from sticking to the peel or the stone... I like a wood peel because I can build my pizza on it, remove it from the stone, and then use a pizza rocker knife to cut it, all using the same peel. that, and wood peels are much less expensive than an aluminum peel.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,908
    edited December 2015
    Options

HOW? I just wasted 15 minutes( ;) )attempting to do that with my Super Peel. Only way to succeed was when I bumped the peel against the dime forcing it to slam against the splash board, go air bound and land on my peel's canvas!  =)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.