Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Belgian Beer

Options
I was recently informed by a restaurant owner that St. Bernardus is not going to brew any more oak-aged ABT 12.  Can anyone confirm this?

And as long as we're talking about Belgian beers - what is your favorite?  Several of us recently compared Allagash Tripel from Maine to Westmalle Tripel and found we liked the Allagash better.  And the oak-aged Allagash Curieux took it to another level. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

Comments

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I heard that the Oaked St. B 12th was a one time thing as well.

As far as others I love. Rochefort 10, Pannepot, Orval.   These should be pretty available at most good craft beer stores.

Allagash makes some tasty beers for sure.  Curieux and Odyssey are at the top of my list from them.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Thanks @YEMTrey.  Now I'm definitely going to buy out the store where I know I can get some Oaked St B 12.

This spring I was able to get some Straffe Hendrik Heritage Quad.  If you ever get a chance to taste it, don't pass it up.

The Rochefort 10 and Orval are on my list, but I'll now have to add Panneport as well. 

I recently acquired a bottle of Westvleteren 12 that I am saving for a special occasion.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    Rochefort 10...ppppsssshhhh

Rochefort 8 is where it's at! 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I get Duvel when I feel rich. Have a couple in the fridge now.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    If you like those 'belgians', you'll love real actual Belgians. 

Haven't had a bad one. 

My current summer indulgence is La Chouffe. I get it here in a 750ml size or so. Not a bad single serving

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/321/27804/
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    edited October 2015
    Options
    i used to live near belgium (netherlands). 

my favorites are duvel, kwak, leffe, and hoegaarden
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    What the funky stuff though?  Lambics etc?  I love duvel etc but you gotta go deep when in Belgium
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Tbent
    Tbent Posts: 225
    Options
    Very difficult to pick my favorite Belgian but Van Damme is certainly near the top of the list. 

L, S, MM, Mini
    Washington, IL
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    I love Belgians as much as I detest IPA's.  

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Salty sam, IPAs today are actually nothing like real IPAs. 

A true IPA is actually very mild. All the extra hops were stale and added as a preservative. I like a hoppy beer too, but a lot of the current fad is just about aggressive hoppiness

The truest 'real' IPA in the market is Bass Ale. A beer no one would confuse for today's IPA

• Tbent
    Tbent Posts: 225
    Options
    Really most of what has been mentioned already would be on my list as well. I'm a fan of more run of mill stuff too, and my fridge is usually stocked with Three Philosophers and Matilda. 
    Sidebar...if ever in Chicago, Hopleaf is a must stop for me. Unbelievable Belgian inspired food menu and huge Belgian beer selection along with a great craft selection. Awesome place. www.hopleafbar.com
    L, S, MM, Mini
    Washington, IL
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    St. B is probably my favorite, along with La Chouffe and Delerium Tremens by Brouwerji Huyghe. I'm always up for a Chimay. In regards to Belgian-style beers, Allagash is the best I've had in the US and I enjoy Unibroue from the friendly people of Quebec - La Fin Du Monde is really good beer.

Belgians are my favorite style of beer. They've got some good yeast over there in the land of chocolate, waffles, and Smurfs.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options

A true IPA is actually very mild. All the extra hops were stale and added as a preservative. I like a hoppy beer too, but a lot of the current fad is just about aggressive hoppiness

The truest 'real' IPA in the market is Bass Ale. A beer no one would confuse for today's IPA
    I do enjoy Bass Ale. Belgian, and Belgian inspired types are amongst my go to beers, when the mood hits. This has been educational for me.
    thanks for posting.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    Options
    Don't laugh... Hell or High Watermelon. Had it at PF Changs and then bought a six pack at Wegmans but it's seasonal.
  • TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    Options
    Triple Perfection, Hennepin, Rare Vos, Gnommegang, Wit (all from Ommegang), La Fin Du Monde, Hoegarten, Allagash White, La Chouffe, Matilda and Sofie from Goose Island. I know most of these are Belgian styles and not truly from Belgium but you get the idea.
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • lewisj82
    lewisj82 Posts: 184
    Options
    Three Philosophers, Tripel B, Brother Thelonious... The Revrend, Salvation, Hog Heaven (those three all from Avery Brewing). If you're in Texas you should be able to find Real Ale's Black Quad which I just tried for the first time, really good stuff. Rince Cochon is a nice one for summer, so is Tank 7 made by Boulevard. They also make a Quad called The Sixth Glass that I really like... I'll have to think about it because I'm only one cup deep into my coffee this morning, but there's more.

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said, "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options

I agree that a lot of today's American made IPAs are hop bombs. Bass Ale is widely available, but Bass IPA is harder to find.  Better example to try would be Fuller's India Pale Ale. If not available in your area, try a Samuel Smith's India Ale.  Both Fuller's and Samuel Smith's are widely distributed (although I think Salty Sam may have a hard time finding them because I don't think either is distributed in NE).  There are some other good examples, but they tend to have limited distribution.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Thanks @YEMTrey.  Now I'm definitely going to buy out the store where I know I can get some Oaked St B 12.

This spring I was able to get some Straffe Hendrik Heritage Quad.  If you ever get a chance to taste it, don't pass it up.

The Rochefort 10 and Orval are on my list, but I'll now have to add Panneport as well. 

I recently acquired a bottle of Westvleteren 12 that I am saving for a special occasion.
    I like most of Unibroue, there are a few from North Coast in CA that are good - Brother Theolonius and Pranqster, Allagash' Tripel I like,  I have a few aging in my beer fridge, nothing outrageous but I have fun with it.  

I had a westveltern 12,given to me by wife, to celebrate the Warriors winning a championship title and moving into our new house.  Good times. 
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Thanks to all for your comments. 

@lewisj82, you're right about the Real Ale. I've has their quad and it is excellent. 

@Darby_Crenshaw, I am confused by your comment about "real actual Belgians" because as near as I can tell, the only non-Belgian brewery mentioned prior to your comment was Allagash which was only mentioned as a comparison to Westmalle. The others mentioned were Rochefort, Duvel, Westvleteren, Orval, Pannepot, St. Bernardus. 

Are they not "real actual Belgians"?

San Antonio, TX

• BYS1981
    Options
    I enjoy Belgian beers, stouts, and some IPAs, but I find myself enjoying a good stout or Belgian while just chilling.
  • BYS1981
    Options
    Davec433 said:
    Don't laugh... Hell or High Watermelon. Had it at PF Changs and then bought a six pack at Wegmans but it's seasonal.
    That's a local seasonal beer here, I think they do it as a summer beer since it is a wheat beer. I got it last year sorta on a whim, actually  pretty good.
  • Foghorn
    Options
    BYS1981 said:
    Davec433 said:
    That's a local seasonal beer here, I think they do it as a summer beer since it is a wheat beer. I got it last year sorta on a whim, actually  pretty good.
    Hingham (Boston) Beer Works makes an excellent watermelon beer that on some hot summer days makes me think "that is the most refreshing beverage in human history" - but it is not what I think of as a Belgian beer. 

Is Hell or High Watermelon a Belgian style? With watermelon?

As for the Lambics, we have used them for dessert beer/wine at some parties.  I enjoy them on certain occasions. 

San Antonio, TX

• lewisj82
    lewisj82 Posts: 184
    Options
    Not a Belgian but the comment about Hell or High Watermelon reminded me of Shiner Ruby Redbird. Not something I thought I'd like since I'm not a fan of Grapefruit, but man is that refreshing. They just made it available year round.

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said, "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    If your into sours Cantillon is excellent.
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    Tripel Karmeliet. Mmmmmm.
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • avibug
    avibug Posts: 172
    Options
    Kwak, Orval, Duvel, Leffe and Westmalle.  
    @Tbent totally agree re Hopleaf.  One of the best beer bars in the city.  
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Chimay cinq cents

Allagash Curieux

Been on an IPA kick lately though.  Sip-of-Sunshine and Ballast Point Sculpin.

Garnerville, NY
  • Phatchris
    Options
    robnybbq said:
    Chimay cinq cents

Allagash Curieux

Sip of Sunshine is pretty awesome, I actually prefer it to Heady... But Double Sunshine takes the cake.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Phatchris said:
    robnybbq said:
    Chimay cinq cents

Allagash Curieux

Sip of Sunshine is pretty awesome, I actually prefer it to Heady... But Double Sunshine takes the cake.
    Agreed.  I prefer Focal Banger to Heady as well. 
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Phatchris
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    Phatchris said:
    robnybbq said:
    Chimay cinq cents

Allagash Curieux

Agreed.  I prefer Focal Banger to Heady as well. 
    I haven't had Focal Banger yet, but I have a few skiing trips to Stowe planned so that will change  =)