Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

dizzy double pumpkin pie, happy autumn

Options
Started cooking with pumpkins a few years ago & realized that they’re far more than just something to be carved and/or smashed once a year, they’re actually a really really good vegetable at least as good as any other squash that people eat all year long; if you’ve ever just roasted one & eaten it plain (salt & pepper) you know what I mean. So this pie is half side-dish pumpkin & half dessert baked into one, basically dinner for my sorry ass:

Started with one medium sized pumpkin:

Cut a hunk off & roast, it takes about 90 minutes at 350 to make it fork tender:

Once done, scoop it out, rice it & set aside for the filling:

Then take the flattest part of the pumpkin (on mine it was the top) and hack off a "pie dish" sized piece, like this:

I roasted this for 30 minutes to give it a nice head start, then brought it back in for filling:

In with the filling, which was 2 cups of the pumpkin pulp, 3 eggs, 1/2 cup each of sugar & brown sugar, a can of condensed milk & some pumpkin pie spice:

Back in for another hour minimum, but it actually went closer to 90 more minutes:

inside to cool for a while:

After about 4 hours in the fridge I sliced off a hunk for tasting:

On with the whipped cream & dizzy pig pineapple head:

Some is good, more is better :

It was good, the pie part is pretty sweet so the pumpkin 'crust' was perfect to sort of cut the sweetness, & perfectly tender. Breakfast for a couple days
happy in the hut
West Chester Pennsylvania

Comments