Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Autumn pumpkin dogs’n pumpkin pie fries

Options
Zippylip
Zippylip Posts: 4,768
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum

Repost from old forum; I tried searching this one because it was was right around the time of the split, but I think it came afterwards as I couldn't find it.   This was 2011's pumpkin cook

Begin by grilling a 10lb pumpkin till soft, scoop out, let cool, then rice it into a container. This will provide the base material for both cooks.

For the dogs, I substituted a pile of the pumpkin for corn in corn-dog batter along with a little pumpkin spice ale in place of the milk for the liquid. Dip, deep fry as usual & serve on your favorite stick.

For the fries, add to the pumpkin a few eggs, some brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, then spread the slop out onto a cookie sheet & into the freezer. A few hours later, flip it onto a cardboard box & chop into large steak fries then back into the freezer until ready to cook. To cook, dredge in corn starch (a test batch revealed flour wouldn’t cut it, had a catastrophic blowout of the interior which is very wet, made a mess, it wasn’t pretty), then deep fry in peanut oil until brown. Upon removal, a nice bit of kosher salt works nice. Next time I will press the pumpkin post cooking to get some of that moisture out as it made for too wet a fry.

Both were served with vanilla bourbon sauce & pumpkin ale.

The cool autumn air has arrived like clockwork in Pennsylvania to blow the stank out of summer. I for one am very happy about that:

The pumpkin:

The dogs:

My new setup

The fries:

Lunch:

happy in the hut
West Chester Pennsylvania

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Options
    Looks great !  Thanks for not linking back, but reposting instead.  That shows class !

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    My lord, sir. Where have you been all my life?
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,675
    Options
    Hold on boys, it's going to be a ride. Zippy can cook
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Jeeez...those dogs look incredible!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Mickey said:

Hold on boys, it's going to be a ride. Zippy can cook

I know I spent 45 min looking at his old threads last night! The guy is in a league of his own.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Zippylip
    Options
    Looks great !  Thanks for not linking back, but reposting instead.  That shows class !

ha, I don't know about class, but I do know that when I open a post I want to see what I'm looking for right there as opposed to being redirected to another site...  Any future posts will be posted on both sites, I do like to catelog my own cooks & the forum has always been the place to do it. 

and thanks

happy in the hut
  • Zick
    Zick Posts: 190
    Options
    Honestly, beyond great!
    When was the last time you did something for the first time? - Zick Boulder, CO
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    There is a Great Pumpkin and his name is Zippylip! 
    Thanks for the posts, the grandkids will love the pumpkin "Pogos". 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    What in The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown? That looks incredible.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Zippylip
    Options
    hapster said:
    First off let me say hello @Zippylip...

Not sure where you are in PA; but I am down in Chester County. Love this time of year...

Your post and this cook are pure inspiration; and I am not a big fan of pumpkins... But I do have friends who are :)

Looking forward to learning more about the rest of your cooks...

H

Hapster, I'm about 2 miles outside of the borough of West Chester near Rustin High - I agree, this time of year rules, my favorite.  Regarding your lack of fanship to pumpkin, try one out - just give it a grill with olive oil salt & pepper, scoop it out & eat it with a fork. I'd bet you change your mind
    happy in the hut