Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Got 6 bags of rockwood today

Options

Comments

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Yeah. He is here passing the buck on the shipper. Maybe you should pay a better rate for a shipper instead of being cheap that way you can get quality service instead of cheap undercutting company's such as Swift, Schneider, or Warner. Just sayin' 

Yeah I use your product and a whole lot of it at that, but you did offend me with the shippers statement.

i clearly agree that was a LOADING mistake NOT a shipping problem.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    I prefer to buy lump local that is shipped on a pallet. The bags are pristine and 1/2 the cost of Rockwood. Just fired up the egg and I'm down to the bottom 25% of the bag and still pulling out big pieces.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    So much for the lituation dropping his bad experience with two measly bags. Jesus H. Christ. That dude holds a grudge worse than a woman scorned. 
    And was even offered 2 new bags didn't accept them to my knowledge.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    Options
    For the record, I got 5 bags of RW about a month ago.  Two had big holes in them. I laid them on their side so the Sh¡t wouldn't fall out and I'll burn them when it's their turn. 
  • Mikee
    Options
    I get several hundred packages a year via FedEx. I have gotten damaged boxes. Anytime the item was damaged was because the packing was insufficient. Big boxes need double corrugated cardboard.  
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Double walled boxes would help lessen some of this but doesn't help against drivers dropping boxes and throwing them around. And how do you realistically cushion bags of lump where the lump itself rolls around in its own packaging? The damage in this case and others is caused by blatant mishandling. The weak boxes used to ship 100 lbs of product don't help. 
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    So much for the lituation dropping his bad experience with two measly bags. Jesus H. Christ. That dude holds a grudge worse than a woman scorned. 
    What are you talking about? When I mentioned it I was told the small crappy pieces were good for gardens or some crap like that. I didn't even want anything free I just wanted it to be known the crap coming from firecraft came to me beat up I took a gridge when the manufacturer tried to tell me some BS about it still having VOCs and to throw a handful in here and there. If you are going to say something at least go back and read through the crap. Nothing at all was ever offered not even a chance of better packaging.
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    Double walled boxes would help lessen some of this but doesn't help against drivers dropping boxes and throwing them around. And how do you realistically cushion bags of lump that roll around in their own packaging? The damage in this case and others is caused by blatant mishandling. The weak boxes used to ship 100 lbs of product don't help. 
    Shrink wrap lump bags together in one bundle? 
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Durangler said:
    Double walled boxes would help lessen some of this but doesn't help against drivers dropping boxes and throwing them around. And how do you realistically cushion bags of lump that roll around in their own packaging? The damage in this case and others is caused by blatant mishandling. The weak boxes used to ship 100 lbs of product don't help. 
    Shrink wrap lump bags together in one bundle? 
    They do just buy it a pallet at a time. There problem solved,
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Durangler
    Options
    @badinfluence   :o  I can't afford a full pallet. 
    Well I could charge it, but.....  :|
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Lit said:
    I tried rockwood from firecraft and bought 2 bags I used one and gave one to a buddy. It was neutral smoke but garbage lump it was all small crappy pieces. I bet I threw away 2 pounds of dust and my buddy had the same thoughts. OO is 10 times better than Rockwood in my opinion. If Rockwood was like $14 a bag I would probably use it. Way over priced IMO.

Dude you have been complaining about that ONE bag you used for over a year now.  Who knows what happened to it (and the one next two it)......maybe it FedEx beat it up, maybe something extremely heavy got set on top of the pallets on the way to PA, or maybe we screwed it up.

In any case, it's not normal.  We haven't received but 4-5 reports regarding crushed charcoal to that extent in several years and over a hundred thousand bags.  If it was typical, you could be guaranteed it would be all over this forum and reflected on TNW.  Never had anyone else call my product anything near as derogatory as "garbage lump it was all small crappy pieces".

There are bags in nearly every Ace store in ATL.  Go buy one and if it still sucks in your opinion I will personally send you a refund.  It seems like you have already made up your mind, but it's worth a shot.

So it was a refund offer not a free bag @lit still...
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,688
    Options
    Yeah. He is here passing the buck on the shipper. Maybe you should pay a better rate for a shipper instead of being cheap that way you can get quality service instead of cheap undercutting company's such as Swift, Schneider, or Warner. Just sayin' 

Yeah I use your product and a whole lot of it at that, but you did offend me with the shippers statement.

i clearly agree that was a LOADING mistake NOT a shipping problem.

?????  How do you know what shipper we use?

Our truckloads are handled exclusively by a local family owned company......never had any damage or issues from them.  We pay them more than the going rate because we know they can be trusted to ventilate and not damage our product.

As far as LTL....

Our LTL and local delivery is handled by a small family owned company that has been there since the 30's.  They're next to our warehouse so they pick up as soon as we call.  We have never used the three companies you named.

There are some cheap shippers we will not let them interline to.  I'm not going to list them here, but you can probably guess who they are as one goes to your area.  If any of these carriers making the final legs of delivery damage our product we file a claim.  If it happens repeatedly, or we get hit with extra charges, then we don't use them again.  We have a contracted rate with good one going to Firecraft that keeps the per bag cost down.  The next nearest would double the freight cost......a cost that would pass to the consumer.  They take three days to get there, and have damaged less than a dozen bags in this year.  Pretty good service as far as I'm concerned, and Firecraft agrees.

Why are we even talking about this?  This was a FedEx Ground shipment......not truckload or LTL.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Lit said:
    What are you talking about? When I mentioned it I was told the small crappy pieces were good for gardens or some crap like that. I didn't even want anything free I just wanted it to be known the crap coming from firecraft came to me beat up I took a gridge when the manufacturer tried to tell me some BS about it still having VOCs and to throw a handful in here and there. If you are going to say something at least go back and read through the crap. Nothing at all was ever offered not even a chance of better packaging.
    So sorry I got the details wrong.  You were offered a refund if you bought new bags and still didn't like it but to my knowledge you just kept complaining and didn't take him up on his offer. 

• stlcharcoalstlcharcoal  Posts: 1,367
      Lit said:
      I tried rockwood from firecraft and bought 2 bags I used one and gave one to a buddy. It was neutral smoke but garbage lump it was all small crappy pieces. I bet I threw away 2 pounds of dust and my buddy had the same thoughts. OO is 10 times better than Rockwood in my opinion. If Rockwood was like $14 a bag I would probably use it. Way over priced IMO.

Dude you have been complaining about that ONE bag you used for over a year now.  Who knows what happened to it (and the one next two it)......maybe it FedEx beat it up, maybe something extremely heavy got set on top of the pallets on the way to PA, or maybe we screwed it up.

In any case, it's not normal.  We haven't received but 4-5 reports regarding crushed charcoal to that extent in several years and over a hundred thousand bags.  If it was typical, you could be guaranteed it would be all over this forum and reflected on TNW.  Never had anyone else call my product anything near as derogatory as "garbage lump it was all small crappy pieces".

There are bags in nearly every Ace store in ATL.  Go buy one and if it still sucks in your opinion I will personally send you a refund.  It seems like you have already made up your mind, but it's worth a shot.

Connect:  Website  -  Facebook  -  Twitter

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Mikee
    Options
    Rockwood = good lump. Way over priced. Twice the cost of RO and only slightly better.
  • Durangler
    Options
    Another hater? :tired_face: 
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Retired USPS employee here. Used to hear a constant stream of complaints about parcels damaged in shipping, with customers blaming no one but the USPS. Simple fact, if there is any open air space in the box the chance for damage goes thru the roof. Air space allows the box to collapse, once the integrity of the box is comprised needless to say what will happen.  Folks assume that every package, no matter what carrier is used, receives nothing but human handling. This is far from the truth. 
    Simple test if your package is safe. Drop it. Place a heavy object on it. Box caves in, repack it. Give it a good shake, contents slamming atound? Repack it. When filling the box with packing material OVERFILL it so that it takes a second set of hands to tape it shut.
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    I do suppose it is easier to point the finger of blame at 5he shipping company than the shipper....I only did a 20 stretch with the USPS, perhaps I have no clue what I am talking about?
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,204
    Options
    I bought 30 bags from my local Rockwood dealer.  The pallet came perfect to my dealer.  His guys tried to help, but after they tossed a few bags I asked them not to help.

So many people handle lump between the manufacturer and you.  Lucky broken pieces burn just fine. Sure makes a mess though.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Lit
    Options
    @mattman3969 your post from above was a year after my initial complaint. Go back to the posts where I comained about it where I was told the small pieces were good for gardens and fire pits. its a little too late at that point for him to save face I'll just stick with one of the numerous lumps I can get locally that are cheaper and just as good.
  • Mikee
    Options
    Durangler said:
    Another hater? :tired_face: 

If you're referring to me, I'm not a hater. I'm not a believer. I'll take Frontier at $9 a bag and Royal Oak at $12 a bag over the $24 a bag for Rockwood.
  • 78 T140E
    78 T140E Posts: 110
    Options
    Just curious, but has anyone had similar problems when ordering Rockwood from Ace Hardware for pick-up at local Ace store?
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,148
    Options
    I just ran out of rock wood.  
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Lit said:
    @mattman3969 your post from above was a year after my initial complaint. Go back to the posts where I comained about it where I was told the small pieces were good for gardens and fire pits. its a little too late at that point for him to save face I'll just stick with one of the numerous lumps I can get locally that are cheaper and just as good.
    How many times have we heard this?  Didn't you say you were gonna drop it a couple months ago?  Good grief. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,991
    Options
    I was told my best option was order from Firecraft, or I suppose I could drive to that gas station somewhere in the middle of BFE Missouri to pick it up, because Rockwood has no distribution in Louisville. 
    I was at the Louisville BGE feat last Saturday and only saw about 100 BGEs sold and several pallets of BGE lump. 
    C'mon Man! 
    Open a distribution point over here, so MBW, will stop raggin' on me for buying all our vehicle can possibly hold, whenever we go to an area, that has distribution. Trust me, the bag of Rockwood that sits between us on the ride back is not a "complaining noise" isolator. It is a "you better buy me jewelry" initiator though.
    You're killing me bro'.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Egghead_Daron
    Options
    Keep in mind that the main reason many of you may have ordered it from Firecraft is because of the free shipping. If you want top notch packaging, don't expect it for free.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,991
    Options
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Lit
    Options
    Lit said:
    How many times have we heard this?  Didn't you say you were gonna drop it a couple months ago?  Good grief. 
    Read my initials responses when I said leave Rockwood alone I was joking around like the leave Britney alone video. It's you guys that need to drop it I didn't even go into all these details until you guys brought it up again. Good grief.
  • Lit
    Options
    Lit said:
    Leave Rockwood alone!
    What do you recommend?
    I was just kidding around like the leave Britney alone video. You risk getting damaged bags from firecraft when you order lump online. It's not normally as bad as yours but there are posts here every so often showing beat up shipments. Like others have stated call your local aces and see if they can order it for you I am sure someone here will give you the sku number or just PM stlcharcoal. I have never seen a complaint about Rockwood when it was picked up locally. I don't know what is available around you but if you can find basques sugar maple lump or fogo those are two other brands I would highly recommend trying. Oh also wicked good is another good one if you see it.