Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: 8 drawer wooden tool chest makes me happy!

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,898
edited August 2015 in Off Topic
Today I bought this tool chest at Harbor Freight reg $99.95 on sale for $69.95. I had read the reviews and for the most part people were happy with the quality etc. considering the price so I took the chance and I'm quite pleased! Over the years I have purchased a number of Bridge City Tools plus other small speciality hand tools, gauges and devices and I try to keep them protected. It will be handy to have them in these felt lined drawers. The exterior dimensions are 20" wide x 16" tall and 10.5" deep. It would also be great storage and organization for hobbyists. The part number is 94538.

and then closed and even locked up for carrying it looks like this.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I've seen that there. Really neat. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Thanks for the post. I have a bunch of hand held wood carving tools, currently in 4 plastic bins. I'll have look carefully to see if I can fit in some of the bigger rasps, but this chest might make my hobby a lot easier.
  • RRP
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    I've seen that there. Really neat. 
    For the money I think so too. Granted it's not your "great great grandfather's hand made tool chest" nor even heirloom quality, but it will do the job.
  • RRP
    Options
    gdenby said:
    Thanks for the post. I have a bunch of hand held wood carving tools, currently in 4 plastic bins. I'll have look carefully to see if I can fit in some of the bigger rasps, but this chest might make my hobby a lot easier.
    if you want me to measure the drawers themselves I'd be happy to do so!
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    they always catch my eye when I am there. I'll find a use of it someday. Since this is a OT toolbox thread I will share my new addition. 
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• RRP
    Options
    grege345 said:
    they always catch my eye when I am there. I'll find a use of it someday. Since this is a OT toolbox thread I will share my new addition. 
    touche' you win!!! That is nice!!! 
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    It is nice I gotta. Say. Not trying to steal your thunder @RRP or one up ya but how many times in my life am I gonna see a thread on toolboxes. Lol. My neighbor wanted one but apparently they are discontinued now. 
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @RRP
    Nice tool chest. For the price it's a steal. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RRP
    Options
    grege345 said:
    It is nice I gotta. Say. Not trying to steal your thunder @RRP or one up ya but how many times in my life am I gonna see a thread on toolboxes. Lol. My neighbor wanted one but apparently they are discontinued now. 
    That's why I posted it on the Off Topic forum. I happen to be a believer that this community has diverse interests beyond just egging. Not sure that they are discontinued as they are still listed on their web site for $10 more, but even then it would be worth it.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/eight-drawer-wood-tool-chest-94538.html
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    You no I am in the process of slowly replacing many of my tools. Two youg adults left me with many partials and missing pieces before exiting the nest. Glad to see you enjoying the tools and provide a quality place to reside. Enjoy!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You no I am in the process of slowly replacing many of my tools. Two youg adults left me with many partials and missing pieces before exiting the nest. Glad to see you enjoying the tools and provide a quality place to reside. Enjoy!
    I have the same problem with friends and neighbors borrowing stuff.  Drives me nuts.
    Options
    Nice box, Ron.  Harbor Freight has some nice toolboxes.  I'm a snob about most of their tools, but I have three toolboxes from them.  My big box weighs about 500 pounds empty and can hold 3500lb of tools.  They make some commercial duty stuff....maybe the only thing they do, but compared to snap-off, it's a great value.
    Options
    Great tool chest for all those little things, brass screws and such....Seen it many times but never for less than $80 - must look next week when we hit Bellingham. Did you ever try their blaster? 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I have a small blast cab and a pressure pot from HF.  They work fine.
    Options
    Great tool chest for all those little things, brass screws and such....Seen it many times but never for less than $80 - must look next week when we hit Bellingham. Did you ever try their blaster? 
    Actually I have plenty of the plastic bins, cabinets etc for those little screws etc - this chest with the felt lined drawers is better suited for small tools and the more precious or precision the better IMHO.

Bought the blaster, took it home and then read the PSI requirement and realized none of my 4 compressors had the pressure capability! So ol' dummy here took it back!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    I might go look at those, would be nice for fly tying equipment.  stay away from the big 48 inch off road style jacks, I bought one for the fj 40, for moving and lifting the docks, getting the boat and trailer lifted during the winter months, its one dangerous jack waiting for an accident to happen
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    RRP said:
    Today I bought this tool chest at Harbor Freight reg $99.95 on sale for $69.95. 

@RRP I was looking back in an old Tailgate Magazine I subscribe to.....and ran across this beauty. It is the Versonel Portable Garage Toolbox Too Chest Refrigerator.  

Wouldn't this be more practical? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LW47GAK/ref=abs_brd_tag_dp?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER  
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,118
    Options
    nolaegghead said:

Drives me nuts. 
    Nice pun.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin