Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Caught a tuna

Options

Comments

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited July 2015
    Options
    That's a beautiful fish!!  Bet it was like reeling in an anvil.  
    I could eat that all day long.
    CONGRATS on the memories created!!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • jimithing
    jimithing Posts: 254
    Options
    Man that's a nice fish.  I would make some ahi poke so fast it'd make your head spin.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    @jimithing, do you have a special poke recipe you would be willing to share? 

Or do you just wing it like many here recently suggested they do with guacamole?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Options
    @GATraveller, thanks. It was a great day and father/son experience. 

He fought really hard but only for about 30 minutes. It took most of my body weight to crank the reel and keep the line tight. As I have played it back in my mind and compared it to the only other tuna we've ever hooked (but didn't land) I've come to the conclusion that part of the reason for our success this time was the crazy expensive heavy tackle we were using. It allowed us to keep more resistance continuously on the fish (with the captain screaming instructions like in the tuna show on TV) and wore him out fairly quickly. The only fish we hooked previously was actually significantly larger and we had lighter tackle (lower end boat/captain who happens to be a neighbor of my Inlaws) so he was able to fight over two hours before the captain finally increased the drag and pulled really hard and broke the line. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Foghorn
    We caught a little over a hundred white trout yesterday right off of Deer Island. Got a few Popeye and Ground Mullet also. The were all small, but it was a blast just the same. Made a few of them last night. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Foghorn
    Options
    @SGH that looks awesome. What did Mrs. SGH and the party animal eat?

And what spice/rub did you use?

San Antonio, TX

• jimithing
    jimithing Posts: 254
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    @jimithing, do you have a special poke recipe you would be willing to share? 

Or do you just wing it like many here recently suggested they do with guacamole?
    @FoghornI was lucky enough to go to Hawaii earlier this year and sample a bunch of poke and oddly enough my favorite on the island of Maui was from Costco.  They make it every day from locally caught fish.  I took a picture of the label and have been trying to recreate it here.  It's basically a spicy mayo poke.  Here's the ingredients picture I took from the package.

Something like this recipe

http://tworedbowls.com/2013/06/17/spicy-ahi-poke/

XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    SGH said:
    @Foghorn
    We caught a little over a hundred white trout yesterday right off of Deer Island. Got a few Popeye and Ground Mullet also. The were all small, but it was a blast just the same. Made a few of them last night. 

We caught a mess of ground mullet and sheepshead last time I was in the gulf.  Good eats!  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SGH
    Options
    Foghorn said:

Thanks brother. Believe this or not, my wife brought home some crap called hummus for herself. I almost divorced her over that mess. That crap is worse than vegetables in my book. Party Monster was not here last night. He spends a lot of time house sitting my mother since my father passed away.  
    As to the fish season, I kept it real simple. A light coat of lemon juice and olive oil followed by a 50/50 dusting of Tony Chacheres and Paul Prudohmes blackening seasoning. Then just throwed a couple of cut up lemons in the pan for additional moisture while cooking. These were cooked at 400 degrees indirect on Unit #1 for exactly 6 minutes. All the fillets were real close in thickness so they were all done at the same time. You could do the very same in your oven or egg. White trout is so delicate that I usually cook it in a pan instead of on the grid. I love it grilled direct but it's such a pain to keep it from falling apart that I more often than not go ahead and pan it up simply for ease of cooking. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Foghorn
    Options
    SGH said:
    Foghorn said:

Thanks brother. Believe this or not, my wife brought home some crap called hummus for herself. I almost divorced her over that mess. That crap is worse than vegetables in my book. Party Monster was not here last night. He spends a lot of time house sitting my mother since my father passed away.  
    As to the fish season, I kept it real simple. A light coat of lemon juice and olive oil followed by a 50/50 dusting of Tony Chacheres and Paul Prudohmes blackening seasoning. Then just throwed a couple of cut up lemons in the pan for additional moisture while cooking. These were cooked at 400 degrees indirect on Unit #1 for exactly 6 minutes. All the fillets were real close in thickness so they were all done at the same time. You could do the very same in your oven or egg. White trout is so delicate that I usually cook it in a pan instead of on the grid. I love it grilled direct but it's such a pain to keep it from falling apart that I more often than not go ahead and pan it up simply for ease of cooking. 
    I hear you where the hummus is concerned.  Last weekend I was at a restaurant with my in-laws.  My brother-in-law and I ordered 6 pounds of chicken wings as an appetizer and my mother-in-law ordered hummus.  When she raved about how great the hummus was and asked why we weren't eating any we both simultaneously made a sour face and said "because there are still some wings to eat"...

Fortunately, about the time we finished the wings our entrees showed up so we didn't have to give any serious consideration to eating hummus.

San Antonio, TX

• SGH
    Options
    @Foghorn - After walking in the kitchen and seeing the bottle still setting out, I realized that along with the above ingriedants that I sprinkled a cats whisker worth of Sage on the fish as well. The Sage is not necessary but I like it.  

Status- Standing by.

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    @4Runner, thanks. Where are you going in Alaska. We went out of Homer once and got a bunch of halibut and salmon. The halibut are virtually guaranteed there. The only question is the size. 
    Just finished 2 days of fishing and it was a load of fun. Brought back 42 on the first day and 25 the second. Very cool.  We stayed at Salmon Lodge Resort.   Killer place.   Will make it home late tomorrow....so signing out from Ketchikan, Alaska.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Awesome fish Foghorn.  I love tuna like I love some good filet mignon.  I hope you guys don't hate me but good hummus turns me on, brothers.  Get some good stuff, you'll see the light.
    Options
    @4Runner, that sounds like a great haul.  All salmon? Did they have a way to vacuum freeze and/or ship it for you? 

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Options
    @nolaegghead, I know that hummus is edible. Some of it is even pretty good. But it wasn't going to divert my attention from any chicken wings. Which made my mother inlaw's question seem a little absurd. 

Why are you up at 3 AM?

San Antonio, TX

• nolaegghead
    Options
    @Foghorn - My mind just races at times.  I need to hit the sack...I know I know.

SGH is picking up ThatGrimGuy and we're cooking at my house sometime tomorrow.  Made some experimental bread, we'll see what we can turn out from Restaurant Despot.  Maybe some oysters, or mussles and some land-based protein. 

Should be fun to meet an egger I haven't met yet. 
    Options
    Congrats! A couple of years back I caught a tuna on Cade Cod while on vacation.  The steaks were amazing! 

XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Foghorn
    Options
    @nolaegghead, that sounds like a good day.  Make sure you buy enough food so that there is some leftover for @Thatgrimguy after @SGH is through. 

@jhl192, that's a good looking fish. Did you go out of Chatham?

San Antonio, TX

• 4Runner
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    @4Runner, that sounds like a great haul.  All salmon? Did they have a way to vacuum freeze and/or ship it for you? 
    Salmon (pink, king, silver), halibut, cod, rock.   175# in total in 5 boxes underneath me right now on plane. Almost home. 
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
  • Foghorn
    Options
    @4Runner, that IS a great haul - especially the king salmon.  Those are supposed to be very hard to catch.  Well done!

San Antonio, TX

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    You go girl!
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SGH
    Options
    We caught a mess of ground mullet and sheepshead last time I was in the gulf.  Good eats!  
    Awesome brother. I like the ground mullet better than the Popeye mullet. Sheepshead is way up on the list as well. If you ever find yourself down this way again, give me a shout and we will hit the islands in my boat. My treat.  

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Mickey said:
    You go girl!
    I was gonna say that.  Thanks for taking the steam outta my sails.
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    @nolaegghead, that sounds like a good day.  Make sure you buy enough food so that there is some leftover for @Thatgrimguy after @SGH is through. 

@jhl192, that's a good looking fish. Did you go out of Chatham?
    I just got woke up by SWMBO.  Everyone was here.  Now they are gone.  And SWMBO cleaned up the house (and she made that point to me).  I'm really confused.   There is some leftover food, somehow.  So that's good.  Not much though.  SGH ate part of our driveway and the passenger side of my Porsche.  Oh well.  I have insurance and I'm told we had a good time.
    Options
    nolaegghead said:
    I'm told we had a good time. 
    Brother I had a great time. I really enjoyed hanging out and cooking with yall. Thanks again for having me over. 

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    @SGH You know I'm kidding about you eating the side of my car.  I did crash out a bit, but I'm up now and up to no good I might add.  Business as usual.  I think i might make a trip to @thatgrimguy 's camp site in the morning to mess with him.  Tomorrow is a new day after all.
    Options
    I think i might make a trip to @thatgrimguy 's camp site in the morning 
    Brother you really should ride over there and look at his motor home. I promise you that the pics don't do it justice. It's bad to the bone. And I'm forced to concur, you did crash out for a bit ;)

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    SGH said:
    I think i might make a trip to @thatgrimguy 's camp site in the morning 
    Brother you really should ride over there and look at his motor home. I promise you that the pics don't do it justice. It's bad to the bone. And I'm forced to concur, you did crash out for a bit ;)
    Yeah, after you left muthaflippah!
    Options
    SGH said:
    Awesome brother. I like the ground mullet better than the Popeye mullet. Sheepshead is way up on the list as well. If you ever find yourself down this way again, give me a shout and we will hit the islands in my boat. My treat.  
    I'd love to brother. Sounds like a blast. 

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • 4Runner
    Options
    4Runner said:
    Foghorn said:
    Salmon (pink, king, silver), halibut, cod, rock.   175# in total in 5 boxes underneath me right now on plane. Almost home. 
    Foghorn said:
    @4Runner, that IS a great haul - especially the king salmon.  Those are supposed to be very hard to catch.  Well done!
    Here are a couple of pics.