Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Sous Vide Fail - 72 Hour Short Ribs

Options
Not to use a flame word - but Epic Fail on this one.

Background - I just got the Anova Sous Vide and decided to take a run at the Modernist's 72 hour short ribs recipe since I had the short ribs on had. Lightly seasoned with AP rub and then vacuum sealed and submerged in the Sous Vide Saturday evening. Sous Vide was set to 140 as recommended and away we went.

Well come Sunday night/Monday morning, I noticed some air in the bag that was causing it to float - so I used another pan to submerge the entire thing - checked again Tuesday night and it was a giant balloon of air.

Cut the bag open and almost lost my lunch - it smelled worse then my 2yr olds diapers. Instantly the dogs were at my feet begging. The wife even came from the back of the house and asked me if the puppy had pooped somewhere.

The texture was right - and the meat was falling off the bone. But yuck. yuck. yuck.
Needless to say - these things went right to the trash - which went right outside.

My best guess is that they had some contamination that did not show up until after the first 24 hours. Ruined my dinner plans for the evening for sure.

Lesson learned - always have back up steaks!

Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Hmmm....that is weird one right there.  Were they in a vaccum sealed bag?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options

How long could they have been floating before you noticed?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    Options
    @cazzy - yep, completely vac sealed. And the bag stayed submerged for at least 24 hours - around 36 hours I noticed the first bit of air in the bag - but no extra water or liquid in bag. My guess is that it was the bacteria gas causing it to float

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Were they put in frozen?
    This could keep at an unsafe temp, even at 140 water bath, long enough for stuff to grow, and then spread even after it reached 140.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Something doesn't seem right....if the bath was foil covered the ambient container temp even for a bag floating should have been over 130º. LS might be on the right track, could there have been an issue early in the bubble bath and was your pot covered?
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    @Little Steven - not quite sure on that. I checked Sunday night and there was nothing - monday morning was when I noticed the floating. But even then, the meat was still submerged. And that's when I added the weight to it.

@Photo Egg No - these were not frozen, just purchased that morning from the butcher too

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this.  I learn as much if not more from the failures people have than the successes.  

Too bad it didn't work out, as that recipe sounds pretty great.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • cazzy
    Options
    Something doesn't seem right....if the bath was foil covered the ambient container temp even for a bag floating should have been over 130º. LS might be on the right track, could there have been an issue early in the bubble bath and was your pot covered?
    I was thinking the same thing too...maybe it balloned early enough that the temp in the bag was much lower.
  • cazzy
    Options
    Did you vac them in a single layer?  
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    @Skiddymarker - Yep, pot covered in foil. Only had to add some water on day 2, but that was only a cup full - so very minimal water loss.

@cazzy - yes, single layer vac sealed

Everything was refrigerated before going into the bath - and I made sure that was at temp before going in as well.

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I've had this happen before. My sealer is cheap and I started putting two seals per vacuum bag and it hasn't happened since.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy I have a pretty nice Food Saver that i've used for a year or so with no problems. But that may have been an issue - but then again there was no extra water in the bag, just juices from the meat

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I've had this happen before. My sealer is cheap and I started putting two seals per vacuum bag and it hasn't happened since.
    Agreed - have always double sealed - totally had a brain fart by not suggesting this - do it all the time for long cooks ≥4 hours. 
    Still, even with a leak, and a set temp of 140º, how do you get enough bacteria to cause the "worse than my 2 year old's diaper" syndrome? 

Maybe something in the bath water?
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I always put a plate or something over the bag(s) to keep them submerged. I don't have a dedicated container and use a big stockpot most often. I read that the bags can get air just from the off gassing of the meat and it is always a concern.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Not ALL of the bag reached 140 in the first few hours, you developed gas from biological activity, which floated, thus creating more activity and gas.  This happened to me once with ribs.  Just a tiny corner of a bag was out of the water.  This was in a cooler outside in winter.  Anyway, that little bit ruined it, even though I noticed it at some point and submerged the bag with some bricks.
    Options
    Not ALL of the bag reached 140 in the first few hours, you developed gas from biological activity, which floated, thus creating more activity and gas.  This happened to me once with ribs.  Just a tiny corner of a bag was out of the water.  This was in a cooler outside in winter.  Anyway, that little bit ruined it, even though I noticed it at some point and submerged the bag with some bricks.

Is biological activity like off-gassing. You are so damn clever!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Cellular respiration https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellular_respiration

Same as that dead dog on the side of the road bloating.

Options
    Cellular respiration https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellular_respiration

Same as that dead dog on the side of the road bloating.

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    First off, sorry about the cook.

Secondly, sorry that your dogs enjoy your 2-year-old's diapers. Mine does too  :s
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Running with the faulty vac seal theory, how did you load the meat in the vac bag? If there was any liquid near the opening of the bag, that could have prevented the sealer from sealing the bag properly.

I usually roll the top of the bag to make a cuff, load the stuff in the bag, unroll the cuff, wipe the mouth of the bag dry, and seal with the FS. I've had one seal fail in the past (luckily it was for something in the freezer), so I've used this method for sealing the bags ever since. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    @caliking - that's clever!  I wipe the inside of the bag with a paper towel.  I'll have to try that.
    Options
    caliking said:
    Running with the faulty vac seal theory, how did you load the meat in the vac bag? If there was any liquid near the opening of the bag, that could have prevented the sealer from sealing the bag properly.

I usually roll the top of the bag to make a cuff, load the stuff in the bag, unroll the cuff, wipe the mouth of the bag dry, and seal with the FS. I've had one seal fail in the past (luckily it was for something in the freezer), so I've used this method for sealing the bags ever since. 

Seal fail? You mean like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDJl75yxskQ

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Options
    As I said before....you are so damn clever!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    I'll be joining the SV club later this year.  I was thinking about possibly vaccing a small aluminum nugget to act as a weight to place on the item being SV.  Ya'll think that might help?

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Stainless would be better than light weight aluminum.
    I also use old school, weighted, Stainless, 35mm film clips. Photo below not the same as mine but similar. I clip them to the bottom of the foodsaver bag.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • caliking
    Options
    caliking said:

can't watch the video at work, so this will have to wait for beer #1 tonight.

• caliking
    Options
    I use a small ceramic plate which is heavy enough to keep things submerged. Usually the rack that came with my SVS Demi works well enough.

About cooties in the water - I do a "clean burn" after most cooks by letting it run at 210°F (max temp on the SVS Demi) for an hour or two. 

• HoustonEgger
    Options
    caliking said:

I actually do that as well - but I was doing it to keep the Food Saver clean, not protect the seal - but guess that's why it always works!

• Little Steven
    Options
    caliking said:
    caliking said:

can't watch the video at work, so this will have to wait for beer #1 tonight.

Seals are very important to us (Canucks)

Steve 

Caledon, ON