Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lifelong gass griller looking to swtich to the BGE

Options
Been gas grilling my whole life.  Got myself a nice Weber Genesis years ago that works like it should.  It's great for throwing on some burgers or dogs but I don't get the results I'd like from meats, chicken, etc.  Plus, I'm tired of all my charcoal grilling friends making fun of me for using a gas grill ;-)

So I've added the BGE to my 'wish list' that my wife uses for buying me gifts.  We are not a big family, 4 for now.  Currently I grill out by the pool maybe a couple of times a month.  Every once in a while, we'll have some people over and cook out, but never for more than maybe 10 or 15 people (20 max).  I'm the kind of person that always likes to go big or go home.  I hate buying something only wishing I would have bought something else (better).  I'm kinda stuck trying to decide between the Large or the XL BGE.  Getting 2 BGEs is not even a consideration.  My wife is already wondering about why I need 2 different grills and where are we going to keep them - lol. 

So what are peoples thoughts on the L vs the XL for the uses I'm describing?  Are there any major performance drawbacks for using the XL if its mostly going to be used for grilling for 4-8 people?  Will the XL be so/too big that it won't even be worthwhile to light up for just a say 4 hamburgers and 4 hot dogs from time to time?

Thanks in advance!

ps - this is the first of probably many posts to come :)
XL BGE Owner Since September 2015 - So expect a lot of newbie questions and please go easy on me :-)

Comments

• bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    First welcome aboard.  You have found a great source of information.    I will throw in my .02 as will others.    I initially purchased medium as it is 2 of us 90% of the time.    Shortly thereafter, I realized I should have gotten the large.    Don't get me wrong, the medium is an excellent size, but I wanted a little more grill estate.     I have a large now (medium was sold to fund the purchase of the large) and am very pleased.    I have cooked three butts without issue and could go four with some improvision.   The XL is too big for me.    I am of the camp you don't build the church for Easter Sunday.     If you purchase a large, then get an adjustable rig to go with it from he ceramic grill store, IMO you will have more than enough room.   The rare occasion you cook for 20 requires you to get creative!     Go ahead and jump into the deep end and enjoy the ride.   You can use the Genesis as an outdoor cabinet to store eggcessories!   
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    No one here is gonna talk you out of it. We're all still drinking the cool aid. (excluding @cazzy who is a treasonous turncoat). If you can afford it, get the xl. Or two larges. Or an xl and a mini. Or a large and a small and some insulated box with charcoal in the bottom....
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,121
    edited July 2015
    Options
    The XL super easy to control and a great grill.  The large is great to, just is a little more finicky.

For your situation I would go large.  You can cook a lot of food on it.  Use the savings for an AR or Woo2.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    Welcome. I'm relatively new here as well, but I think you will be fine with a large. I too have a large and it is just me and my wife. Once you dig around this site, you will be amazed at how much food you can fit onto a large.

Oh, and read up on accessories before you go buy a bunch of stuff you don't need. This is a good thread to start with: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1178818/what-is-the-bge-accessory-you-regret-purchasing-the-most/p1

Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I have a large, was going to get the medium cause I'm a cheap bastard but my bride said I'd regret it and get the large and damn glad I did.  It's just the two of us but you can load up a lot on a large.  I still have my genesis too.  You could load up the BGE with ribs and do a bunch of burgs and dogs on the Weber for a crowd.  And welcome.

Also a couple of other great websites

http://amazingribs.com/

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm

LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
     I have the XL, I have 4 in my family, which actually means 6. (Children's BFFs) and then on Wednesday evenings (Pizza Night) about 15. Weekends are grilling with friends 8-10.
    I purchased it having no idea it would mushroom up like it has. I have since added the MM to the group, and it is just so freaking fun.
    We are thrilled with the XL. We love the MM combo too. The XL has been a blessing, the size and space are perfect, and fuel consumption is low.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • rlbarker4946
    Options
    terrier,
    I am a new owner of a large big green egg. I have been a gas grill user for over 25 years. There is no comparison between these two cooking methods.  The gas grill is a spur of the moment thing.  Cooking on the BGE is an event.  It's something to be planned, executed and enjoyed, for the results are so much more satisfying.  I can already see why one should have more than one.  The large works for me for the time being. It has all the room I need to cook for 2, and 2 pork butts can feed 10-20 people.  but I would not have been disappointed with an XLBGE either. 
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    Get the XL, dont let the haters get to you the Weber Genesis is a great grill. I have the Genesis and a BGE large, use them both. Wish I would have went XL. Space is a premium on the egg, more is better. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Get the XL, keep the Genesis for 4 hot dog cooks.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    If price isn't an issue, go with the XL as you'll appreciate the extra space.  Especially once word spreads about the high quality food you're serving and your parties go from 10 to 20 to more than that.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    I went through the same decision years ago.  So glad I got the XL.  And my family consists of 2! (just my wife and I).  I use a lump reducer and love it.  Perfect for grilling smaller amounts of food.  I go big meat cooking often too and use a food saver to package up my 20+ lbs of beef clod for pulled beef or multiple pork butts or racks of ribs.  Go XL, you won't regret it.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Ross in Ventura
    Ross in Ventura Posts: 7,234
    Options
    Been gas grilling my whole life.  Got myself a nice Weber Genesis years ago that works like it should.  It's great for throwing on some burgers or dogs but I don't get the results I'd like from meats, chicken, etc.  Plus, I'm tired of all my charcoal grilling friends making fun of me for using a gas grill ;-)

So I've added the BGE to my 'wish list' that my wife uses for buying me gifts.  We are not a big family, 4 for now.  Currently I grill out by the pool maybe a couple of times a month.  Every once in a while, we'll have some people over and cook out, but never for more than maybe 10 or 15 people (20 max).  I'm the kind of person that always likes to go big or go home.  I hate buying something only wishing I would have bought something else (better).  I'm kinda stuck trying to decide between the Large or the XL BGE.  Getting 2 BGEs is not even a consideration.  My wife is already wondering about why I need 2 different grills and where are we going to keep them - lol. 

So what are peoples thoughts on the L vs the XL for the uses I'm describing?  Are there any major performance drawbacks for using the XL if its mostly going to be used for grilling for 4-8 people?  Will the XL be so/too big that it won't even be worthwhile to light up for just a say 4 hamburgers and 4 hot dogs from time to time?

Thanks in advance!

ps - this is the first of probably many posts to come :)
    TT get lg BGE it's plenty big

Ross
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    Welcome to the group! I've had my XL for 3 years now and I love it. We gave the gasser to the in-laws after 2 months with the BGE. I fire up the XL for a couple of burgers & dogs all the time. You'll get 3-4 short cooks out of 1 load of lump. I highly reccomend the XL, but you'll be happy with either. 

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I have had a large since 2006 and have a family of 4, it is all I need. I do have the adjustable rig with the extended grid so I can cook a ton of food. I also have the mini max for tailgating or 4 hamburgers, pork chops, spatchcock chicken etc.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Welcome aboard.   A year and a half ago I replaced my old 20 year old gasser for a XL.  It is my only grill so I wanted something that that could do a lot when I needed to.  There is only three in my family,  but the egg does pretty good job of conserving lump, unless you are doing a long high temp cook.  If you are keeping the Weber the large would be a good addition, but so would the XL.  Remember the asserories are a little more for the XL and trust me once you get an EGG the bank account can drop.  Good luck in your decision and you will be happy with either one. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • lowandslow
    lowandslow Posts: 122
    Options
    XL without a doubt.  I think the large is too small.  
    Hasbrouck Heights, NJ

XL Egg
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    If you are go big or go home type of person I'd say XL. I'd take my large over my XL. The XL is nice for bigger cooks like ribs and brisket but I find the large more practical for everyday cooks. Do you have any eggfests near you? A good way to see them in action 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • victor1
    victor1 Posts: 225
    Options
    My wife and I decided on a medium egg thinking it would be just right for the two of us.  Our salesman was not pushy but said from his experience, most people who buy mediums wish they would fo gone for the large.  We took his advice, spent a little more bought a large.  He was right and we have exactly what we want.
  • MrWilliams
    MrWilliams Posts: 112
    Options
    "My wife is already wondering about why I need 2 different grills and where are we going to keep them - lol."
    Your going to get the XL.  Your real problem is going to be explaining the mini or mini max in 6 months.
    XL BGE & Mini - CT USA
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    FWIW, the number of people who have reported pitching their gassers has been much larger than those who've kept them. Myself, I think that a combo of a large and a small would give you a lot more versatility than an XL.

As it happened, my 1st was a medium. I soon found myself using it 4 - 5 times a week. Finally, I was asked to do ribs for a dozen teens, and that was problematic. So I bought a 2nd medium, giving me about the same grill space as a large and a small. That way, it was easy to cook for a dozen people, and provide more variety. Also, I could clean them both out on the weekend, and a full load of lump in each let me cook everyday for the rest of the week if I wanted to.

But whatever size, after a brief learning curve, you'll find the product superb. There are 3 area restaurants who use XLs, and all of them have a good reputation.

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    "My wife is already wondering about why I need 2 different grills and where are we going to keep them - lol."
    Your going to get the XL.  Your real problem is going to be explaining the mini or mini max in 6 months.
    Just take her to an eggfest and introduce yourself. First people we met had 12, 5 and 6 eggs respectively. Then my second egg didn't seem so bad.  =)
  • mshump
    mshump Posts: 212
    Options
    I have the large and am very happy with it. I do have a Weber Genesis also and if my cook is too big for the Egg I will use the Weber for warming or searing etc. I really considered the XL, I researched how much more lump I would use, and accessory prices lg vs XL (especially a metal cart/cabinet and went with the large. 
    Danville, Il
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    Welcome! I have an XL for a family of 4. We use it all the time for dinner for just us but we often host for the rest of our family. Even with the XL I often wish I had a second egg for either apps or side dish's. Not sure what your budget is but like others have said you wont go wrong with either. I will add a second egg eventually but if I had it to do again I would probably do two large eggs so that accessories worked on both eggs.
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • RollTideRob
    RollTideRob Posts: 139
    Options
    We have a large and a medium and if I had to do it over again would go the same route. I use the medium for the smaller cooks when it's just the two of us. I also end up using them both alot of the time. I'll also never own a gasser again.
    Large, Medium

Heflin, AL
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    I have a large. I am extremely pleased and it meets all my needs. It's the wife and me at home but have 10 in immediate family that come over often. Others have mentioned pros and cons for both. I like that it is more economical on lump, accessories are cheaper and multi level grilling lets you cook more when needed.  Whatever you decide you will love it. I do as well have a Webber gasser I use for hotdogs!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I have a family of 5 and the large is great for us.  Only thing I use my gasser for now is to store bge accessories.  Welcome and can't wait to see pics of your cooks!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • dmirish1
    dmirish1 Posts: 115
    Options
    We've also got a large which is my go to but love having the MiniMax as well. I recommend the large to everyone. Everyone. The conversation doesn't even come up, which makes it awkward. Love the LBGE.

Winchester, Virginia LBGE, MiniMax

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Welcome. I have an XL and use it to cook 3 burgers or chicken breasts at times. It works well.  I also have a nice gasser that I sometimes use for the same when I am in more of a rush. If you have an XL and a Weber Genesis you can do almost anything. Fill the XL with meat and the gasser with veggies and you can feed a small army. 

As I've gotten more experienced with my XL I've learned different ways to light my fire to tailor it to the needs at the time. When time is short I use multiple firestarters to get the fire going faster. For a small cook I just light the coals in the back and cook directly over them while using the front of the grate as a place for indirect cooking or resting.  So while some have told you that the large will be fine - and it probably would be - my point is that there is no downside to the XL other than cost. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Options
    @Tier1Terrier I have a similar deal. Family of 4 with a Weber Genesis (15 years old and still works like a champ) and a wife who didn't get it. I got the large 3 years ago, and a Ceramic Grill Store AR (adds more cooking levels) for times when I go BIG for parties and such. I love it and have never wished I got the XL. That's just me though. Wife also loves the Egg now. She's just happy that I cook as much as I do with it Nd does like the things I make. Your mileage may vary. Good luck. You can't go wrong!  
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i have a large and a webber gas at camp, the weber does the dogs, burgers, couple dozen ears of corn, planked taters, trays of roasted asparagus etc. the real meat, dutch oven cooking, woking, pizza etc goes on the large. will do what you want but i believe you will always be thinking about that xl =) for what its worth you can really pile in the food with these things, ive seen picks of 24 racks of ribs in a large, a dozen chickens in a large, a 62 pound pig in a large. i can even do 30 or so wings in a little 10 inch mini ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it