Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butcher Paper vs Foil vs No Wrap. You be the judge.

Options

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Booyowww. My man
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SGH said:

Mighty fine looking grub right there. What did that one weigh? 
    it was 12 before I trimmed it down. Probably 10 after the trim. Didn't weight the trimmings this time. It was late and I was a bottle of wine in (and I'm being generous there)

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    looks like a good one but took forever for it to give up the ghost. It was 210 in most parts when I pulled it. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    looks like a good one but took forever for it to give up the ghost. It was 210 in most parts when I pulled it. 
    What grade is it? 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Looks great.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SGH said:
    What grade is it? 
    coscto prime. usually done in the 195 range- this one was stubborn.
  • SGH
    Options
    I was going to faint if you said Waygu ;) 210 is getting on the high side for sure. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SGH said:
    I was going to faint if you said Waygu ;) 210 is getting on the high side for sure. 
    it still wasn't where I would normally pull it feel-wise so we will see. 80% of it was jiggly goo though so I'll get some good bites off of it no matter what. i've never gone to 210 on purpose but it did finally soften right at 208 or so. I think it will all come together in the rest. 
  • SGH
    Options
    The Cen-Tex Smoker said:
    I think it will all come together in the rest. 
    I fully agree^^^^^^^^^^. I have seen some Choice grade that I knew beyond all doubt that was done but just wouldn't let go or turn all the way loose while still exposed to heat in the cooking chamber.   Just wanted to stay tight in spots. They always came around though during the rest. I can look at that one you posted and tell that's it's right. It will be money. Again, great job. 

Status- Standing by.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SGH said:
    The Cen-Tex Smoker said:
    I think it will all come together in the rest. 
    I fully agree^^^^^^^^^^. I have seen some Choice grade that I knew beyond all doubt that was done but just wouldn't let go or turn all the way loose while still exposed to heat in the cooking chamber.   Just wanted to stay tight in spots. They always came around though during the rest. I can look at that one you posted and tell that's it's right. It will be money. Again, great job. 
    I've noticed the same thing on several in the past. This one was done right. It will come around. The whole back half if it was jello. It was just part of the flat that was a little firm in a few spots. 
  • SGH
    Options
    I've noticed the same thing on several in the past. This one was done right. It will come around. The whole back half if it was jello. It was just part of the flat that was a little firm in a few spots. 
    Question for you if I may. The spots that you speak of, were they roughly the size of a silver dollar give or take a little? I ask for a reason. On choice and select that I have noticed them on, they are always roughly this size, again give or take a little either way. I have yet to encounter this phenomenon with Waygu, Waygu Gold or top tier AK. If the spots are what I have hypothesized them to be, I'm actually surprised to hear that they show up in Prime grade. Not that I doubt that they did. But the fact that they did points toward the conclusion that my hypothesis is then wrong about what they are. 

Status- Standing by.

• xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    Thanks for your kind words @SGH. Those were my thoughts exactly about foil. For  relative novice to brisket, it seems that I have the best shot of hitting the mark with foil. 
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • SGH
    Options
    Thanks for your kind words @SGH
    My pleasure as always my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SGH said:
    Question for you if I may. The spots that you speak of, were they roughly the size of a silver dollar give or take a little? I ask for a reason. On choice and select that I have noticed them on, they are always roughly this size, again give or take a little either way. I have yet to encounter this phenomenon with Waygu, Waygu Gold or top tier AK. If the spots are what I have hypothesized them to be, I'm actually surprised to hear that they show up in Prime grade. Not that I doubt that they did. But the fact that they did points toward the conclusion that my hypothesis is then wrong about what they are. 
    it was more a general area of the flat in the middle. This happened on my last CAB prime to and I pulled it at 200 and it never got tender. This was last week. I was pissed. That's why I wanted to do another one today. Back on the horse.

• Hunter1881
    Hunter1881 Posts: 406
    Options
    @SGH since you and cen tex are discussing this I would like to ask. I have only done one brisket. And when I was probing had several spots that felt great. But it also had a few of these small spots that was tough. I cooked a little longer but they never did loosen up. Should you keep cooking til the tough spots are good or just pull it when the majority is soft?
    Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)
  • SGH
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @SGH since you and cen tex are discussing this I would like to ask. I have only done one brisket. And when I was probing had several spots that felt great. But it also had a few of these small spots that was tough. I cooked a little longer but they never did loosen up. Should you keep cooking til the tough spots are good or just pull it when the majority is soft?
    What I have noticed is that they will never "let loose" while still under cooking temps without over cooking the rest of the meat. The reason for this would take volumes to explain. However to answer your question at hand, I go ahead and pull when the overall brisket feels right. Thus far, these spots have always turned loose somewhere around the 45 minute mark of resting. By continuing to cook the brisket, all you will do is over cook it. This has been my experience with both choice and select. I haven't got to cook many primes and as such, if brother Tex offers any insight on primes you should heed his advice in place of mine on prime. However I can say that for choice and select, what I said above applies across the board. Also you will not see this phenomenon with Waygu grade and higher in my experience. They have been consistent to date. 

Status- Standing by.

• Hunter1881
    Options
    Thanks @SGH I want to get a few choice ones knocked out before I go to wagyu. I will remember this for next time. 
    Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)
  • SGH
    Options
    Thanks @SGH I want to get a few choice ones knocked out before I go to wagyu. I will remember this for next time. 
    Let me say this. It's far easier to to cook a great Waygu than it is a choice or select. With just a few tips you can hit a Waygu out of the park. This is not sentiment my friend. It's absolute fact. I highly recommend that you try a Waygu. It will change your thought on cooking brisket forever. I say this sincerely, if you can cook a great pork butt you have a 95+ percent chance of cooking a good Waygu. Most of the things that cause trouble when cooking choice and select are not present with Waygu. 

Status- Standing by.

• Hunter1881
    Options
    SGH said:
    Let me say this. It's far easier to to cook a great Waygu than it is a choice or select. With just a few tips you can hit a Waygu out of the park. This is not sentiment my friend. It's absolute fact. I highly recommend that you try a Waygu. It will change your thought on cooking brisket forever. I say this sincerely, if you can cook a great pork butt you have a 95+ percent chance of cooking a good Waygu. Most of the things that cause trouble when cooking choice and select are not present with Waygu. 
    Well I guess I will have to try it then. The one choice one I did was good. Thanks. And thanks again for helping me figure how to link posts. 
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    FearlessTheEggNoob Posts: 888
    edited May 2015
    Options
    This one I pulled from the 225 degree Big Joe at 170 internal and went directly into the turkey oven bag. Finished it in the oven at 275 degrees to a 205 internal temp. I use plenty of oak to get to this color. (5-6 large chunks) Threw some sausage on the grill as I see no point in leaving it in the smoker once it got wrapped. (unless of course you don't want your house to smell like a brisket for a few hours)

When this picture was taken it had been resting on a cutting board covered with a layer of foil for 1.5hr. I learned an important lesson about being patient and letting a brisket properly rest...

You get a much better serving result letting the juices fully re-distribute before slicing, and that takes much longer than I realized.

That gash is the butchers fault.
    Gittin' there...
  • SGH
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @FearlessTheEggNoob -Looks good brother. How was it overall?

Status- Standing by.

• FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    My best one yet. Very moist and tender inside.

I also learned I have been over seasoning to some degree. (from imitating too many videos I suppose)

I gave this brisket a one-time, rubbed-in, medium coating and let it sit in the fridge for a few hours to take hold. It had a much more noticeable beef favor and easier on the stomach too. My other ones had been coming out too spicy, almost like Pemmican beef jerky flavor brisket.

Gittin' there...
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    @FearlessTheEggNoob, I think you are on to something.  Franklin doesn't put the rub on very heavy in his videos and at his restaurant the rub tasted very oniony and almost sweet. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• EggHead_Bubba
    EggHead_Bubba Posts: 566
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @Foghorn... that surprises me about you tasting onion and sweet from Franklin's rub. Are you talking about his brisket? If so, that sure doesn't sound like his usual go-to of 50/50 salt and pepper.

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

• SGH
    Options
     If so, that sure doesn't sound like his usual go-to of 50/50 salt and pepper.
    Foghorn said:
    at his restaurant the rub tasted very oniony and almost sweet. 
    That causes one to stop and ponder for a moment doesn't it  ;)

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    My best one yet. Very moist and tender inside.

Glad to hear this my friend^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Status- Standing by.

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited May 2015
    Options
    SGH said:
     If so, that sure doesn't sound like his usual go-to of 50/50 salt and pepper.
    Foghorn said:
    at his restaurant the rub tasted very oniony and almost sweet. 
    That causes one to stop and ponder for a moment doesn't it  ;)
    That is because the biggest joke in Central Texas BBQ is everyone uses just S&P.  It's a nicer response than "are you fvcking serious, you want my rub recipe????".
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    @Foghorn... that surprises me about you tasting onion and sweet from Franklin's rub. Are you talking about his brisket? If so, that sure doesn't sound like his usual go-to of 50/50 salt and pepper.

@EggHead_Bubba, yes I am talking about his brisket.  It surprised me quite a bit.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    SGH said:

If you can live with the price, SRF Waygu is certainly in a league of their own. Both the Waygu and Waygu Gold is about all a person can ask for. They are simply outstanding.  
    Have you ever tried just the northwest beef brisket? Very hard to find packers in western PA. $80 cheaper for the prime northwest as compared to the gold wagyu. Just wondering if it's still worth it. 
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • SGH
    Options
    Have you ever tried just the northwest beef brisket? Very hard to find packers in western PA. $80 cheaper for the prime northwest as compared to the gold wagyu. Just wondering if it's still worth it. 
    I myself haven't. I think that both brother Tex and Cazzy have. If this is the case, they may can offer more on the matter. I'm willing to bet that it's outstanding though.  

Status- Standing by.