Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Well hello there dark side...

Options
cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
Breaking her in with some ribs, 2 spares and 1 St. Louis cut.  

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Looking good man.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Took ya long enough to make it to this side, but I'm willing to bet your gonna enjoy the ride.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,232
    Options
    That looks awesome. Wish I cooked for enough folks to need one. Excuse my ignorance but what are the ball valves for? That's not a propane/NG unit is it? 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,232
    Options
    Air intake adjustment? 
  • cazzy
    Options
    That looks awesome. Wish I cooked for enough folks to need one. Excuse my ignorance but what are the ball valves for? That's not a propane/NG unit is it? 
    Top one is a drain for washing out the inside or cooking wet.  The bottom is the air intake valve.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,794
    Options
    Mmmmm... I have seen a pit real similar to that somewhere before  ;). Fine rig brother, enjoy it.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Info please! Manufacturer & model. Awesome!!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Awesome!
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,522
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Dang-definitely not an April Fool's joke back on your initial post.  As above, wish I could even remotely come up with a story to justify.  Enjoy a new way to crank out "$hitty BBQ".  Better to be lucky than good any day :)

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Nice vertical Caz. What you using for fuel/smoke?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • cazzy
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Dang-definitely not an April Fool's joke back on your initial post.  As above, wish I could even remotely come up with a story to justify.  Enjoy a new way to crank out "$hitty BBQ".  Better to be lucky than good any day :)

Yeah, some assumed it was a April Fool's joke but it was all true.  I'm retired and stay home with my 3 kids full time.  My eggs are at my in-laws and eventually my table will make it to Beeville too.  Finally, as you can see, I picked up a pit just like the one @SGH uses.  Love the capacity and efficiency.
  • cazzy
    Options

Nice vertical Caz. What you using for fuel/smoke?
    Lol...you ended up being the main target hah.

Using a small bed of rockwood and a small split of oak and a big chunk of cherry.  It pretty much can use lump, briquettes or wood.
  • cazzy
    Options

SoCalTim said:
    It is a Pitmaker Vault.  They are based out of Humble Texas, which is right outside of Houston.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,059
    Options
    I didn't even know there was anything Humble about Texas.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,735
    Options
    I know who I'm calling next time I plan  a day  off :)  looks sharp, caz. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SoCalTim
    Options
    cazzy said:

SoCalTim said:
    It is a Pitmaker Vault.  They are based out of Humble Texas, which is right outside of Houston.
    You did good!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • SoCalTim
    Options
    Just visited their site and watched the video. Boy' ... I guess it's true what they say ..'Everything is a lot bigger in Texas'
  • SGH
    Options
    cazzy said:
    I picked up a pit just like the one @SGH uses.  Love the capacity and efficiency.
    You know that they say that imitation is the most sincere form of flattery ;) Just messing with you man. In all seriousness, I hope that you enjoy and get as much use out of it as I do mine. I feel that you will absolutley love the pit and get a lot of trouble free use out of it. Can't wait to all the grub that comes out of it. Enjoy sir.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• cazzy
    Options
    SGH said:
    cazzy said:
    I picked up a pit just like the one @SGH uses.  Love the capacity and efficiency.
    You know that they say that imitation is the most sincere form of flattery ;) Just messing with you man. In all seriousness, I hope that you enjoy and get as much use out of it as I do mine. I feel that you will absolutley love the pit and get a lot of trouble free use out of it. Can't wait to all the grub that comes out of it. Enjoy sir.

I'm ready to go!!

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,522
    Options
    The forum does come full circle-@SGH and @cazzy with the same verticals.  Of course, I don't believe that cazzy has assigned a Unit number yet :).  However, with the Devastated thread clearing the 100 page bar anything is possible.
    Have a great BGE day!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SGH
    Options
    Awesone caz^^^^^. Can't wait to see it.

Status- Standing by.

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    cazzy said:

So is this just for you and your family?  How big is your family?  I see lots of wonderful cooks on here and I read about people cooking on their egg 7 days a week.  How much food do you guys throw away?  If i cooked anywhere near the amount I read about some of you guys do, i would either be feeding the neighborhood or I would be throwing away food so as not to bury my house with food.   I really hate to throw food away, and I work hard trying to portion things limiting how much I have to consume as leftovers.  The only way I would cook up 3 racks of ribs would be for a potluck at work or something.  One rack is too much for my family to consume for dinner.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,200
    Options
    Nice rig!
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Target :confused: Bout your April Fools deal?  I knew you wouldn't quit egging, was confident you bought the vertical but, I was  skeptical about retirement (even if only temporary).  
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Does the pit stabilize temp easily?  Or do you have to adjust pretty frequently?  Pit Controller in your horizon or couldn't you just get the adaptor etc for your Stoker?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • cazzy
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    cazzy said:

So is this just for you and your family?  How big is your family?  I see lots of wonderful cooks on here and I read about people cooking on their egg 7 days a week.  How much food do you guys throw away?  If i cooked anywhere near the amount I read about some of you guys do, i would either be feeding the neighborhood or I would be throwing away food so as not to bury my house with food.   I really hate to throw food away, and I work hard trying to portion things limiting how much I have to consume as leftovers.  The only way I would cook up 3 racks of ribs would be for a potluck at work or something.  One rack is too much for my family to consume for dinner.
    There are 5 of us living in my household.  My 4 year old will eat 1 to 2 ribs and my 2 year old is on a vegetarian kick right now.  My newborn is...well a newborn.

I'm actually just playing and am tweaking my rib technique a lil bit.  I will give a rack away to my neighbors and will vacuum seal whatever is leftover.  I'm having 30 people over next Saturday for the fight, so that is what a lot of the meat is for.  @caliking you're invited.  

I have two graduations I'm catering for in May.  Cooking 15 racks of ribs for one and the other is going to need 6 briskets, 9 racks of ribs, 2 butts, 4 turkey breasts and sausage.
  • cazzy
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Does the pit stabilize temp easily?  Or do you have to adjust pretty frequently?  Pit Controller in your horizon or couldn't you just get the adaptor etc for your Stoker?
    Yes, it's easy like the egg, but it is actually just as or more efficient than the egg.  It's sealed with a Rutland and you literally have to slam the door to shut it.  It's also insulated so the elements don't give it probs either.

Yes, I bought a BBQ Guru from @flyer_egger for the vault.  Don't know when I'll use it but it's there when I need it.
  • cazzy
    Options
    Target :confused: Bout your April Fools deal?  I knew you wouldn't quit egging, was confident you bought the vertical but, I was  skeptical about retirement (even if only temporary).  
    Well just after the fact...since you were texting me about the gag...I just ran with it. Lol
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Lol. :lol: Love it!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,676
    Options
    Need an idea on size. Say you filled it with ribs. How many racks will it hold?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.