Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I need more govt in my life...

Options

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @henapple If more people cared, the uneducated votes would be offset  and we wouldn't have to deal with the crappy candidates from both sides that come through primaries. That's why no votes are worse, they allow uneducated votes thrive. Hell, we should be conscripted to vote so people are forced to learn the issues. 

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited February 2015
    Options
    . . . Hell, we should be conscripted to vote so people are forced to learn the issues. 

:| You're being optimistic, @Eggcelsior- maybe overly so.

If forced to vote, it's entirely possible that lazy people would simply revert to voting along tribal lines.  Or vote according to the political ad they've seen most recently.  Or listen to AM radio.

I hope you're right (I suspect you're being facetious), but it's doubtful people can be forced to learn.

In fact, I know it isn't possible Decades ago, I encountered algebra-trig . . . :s

It wasn't pretty.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Just a suggestion ... only those who own property can vote ... or, only those who pay taxes can vote. 

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Just a suggestion ... only those who own property can vote ... or, only those who pay taxes can vote. 

:) Cool idea.  Caste systems always work! =)

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Wow this does not jive at all with what I've seen.  I say that as someone whose mother was an elementary school teacher her entire life, whose wife taught in inner-city Atlanta for five years, and also as a parent of children who go to public schools.  

They aren't compensated anywhere near enough in my book.  We are losing some fantastic teachers in NC because their pay is so lousy.  
    Totally opposite of here....compensated very well and hard to get a job in education in our district because of the competition.  Probably varies from state to state, region to region, district to district.  And I will say I am very happy with our district. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Or people who don't own property, maybe their votes shouldn't count as much?  Like 3/5?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Or people who don't own property, maybe their votes shouldn't count as much?  Like 3/5?
    I thought the 3/5 folk WERE property. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I take a break from the forum and it's lord of the flies.
    Options
    Going back to the original post, where the govmnt updates it's food pyramid and recommendations (less meat) and meat producers are protesting because that may lower demand (which lowers cost)......  I say booo hoo. 

The "Obama" prominent in the title fires up the emotions of the fox viewers, who are in a world where science and reason are obscured by emotion and ideology. 

I love meat as much as anyone on this forum, but it's like loving cigarettes.  Denial isn't a river in Egypt.  Eggheads as a collective aren't exactly representing the pinnacle of healthy human BMI, if you want to look around at your typical BBQ festival, you'll notice that. 

I'm just gonna chalk this up as a troll post that's as entertaining as arterial plaque.
    Options
    And, follow the money.  This is the money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UsHHOCH4q8

Options
    @nolaegghead. ..I love the way everyone that doesn't sleep with Bill Nye apparently lives on Fox news. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Going back to the original post, 
    The "Obama" prominent in the title fires up the emotions of the fox viewers, who are in a world where science and reason are obscured by emotion and ideology. 

because other big media is non-partisan and doesn't stir emotions 

I'm just gonna chalk this up as a troll post that's as entertaining as arterial plaque.
    Well I was certainly hoping to get more entertainment value, but alas, it fizzled quickly.  B)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    when i want to know the real weather for tomorrow i watch fox news, when i want entertainment i watch abc (great footage on a drunk driving off the zakim bridge in boston and hitting the pavement 50 feet below head first this week) for the news i read this forum =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I work for the guvmint and I'm here to help you.

Scared you, didn't I?  Well I do work for government and trust me you need less of it.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    . . . Hell, we should be conscripted to vote so people are forced to learn the issues. 

:| You're being optimistic, @Eggcelsior- maybe overly so.

If forced to vote, it's entirely possible that lazy people would simply revert to voting along tribal lines.  Or vote according to the political ad they've seen most recently.  Or listen to AM radio.

I hope you're right (I suspect you're being facetious), but it's doubtful people can be forced to learn.

In fact, I know it isn't possible Decades ago, I encountered algebra-trig . . . :s

It wasn't pretty.

@sardonicus completely facetious. Politics are dumb and inane which has been made completely evident by this thread. 

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I don't work for the Gubmint but I have to deal with them in Atlanta enough to know it's the blind leading the blind.  If you don't believe me just take a ride on our new Streetcar.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Eggcelsior
    Options

This guy's a strict constructionist. White, land-owning males only people! 
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @Eggcelsior ... don't distort what I said.  And, don't pull that racist crap.

I live in Illinois ... we are the worst run state in the union.  The government unions back (fund) the politicians who will give them more (wages, pensions, etc.)  This has become such a sweetheart deal, with the addition of creative book keeping, that no one knows how deep in debt we really are.  One estimate puts it at 4.7 TRILLION for unfunded pension obligations.  Now remember that the government will not let private industry do this, but then the government feels that those rules don't apply to them. 

Oh yes, we are a deadbeat state when it comes to paying our bills ... I think some are unpaid from 2012.

Thus my point is that someone in Illinois has to act like an adult.  Someone who is responsible enough to have a job, pay taxes, own land.  You don't let the kids in your family decide how to manage the household budget, why would you allow that to happen at the state or federal level?

• fishlessman
    Options

I live in Illinois ... we are the worst run state in the union.  The government unions back (fund) the politicians who will give them more (wages, pensions, etc.)  This has become such a sweetheart deal, with the addition of creative book keeping, that no one knows how deep in debt we really are.  One estimate puts it at 4.7 TRILLION for unfunded pension obligations.  Now remember that the government will not let private industry do this, but then the government feels that those rules don't apply to them. 

Oh yes, we are a deadbeat state when it comes to paying our bills ... I think some are unpaid from 2012.

Thus my point is that someone in Illinois has to act like an adult.  Someone who is responsible enough to have a job, pay taxes, own land.  You don't let the kids in your family decide how to manage the household budget, why would you allow that to happen at the state or federal level?
    there is a valid point here, 18 year olds were really adults at one time, its not the case anymore for the majority
    fukahwee maine

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    @Jeepster47 it was a joke about the original language of the US Constitution,  correlating directly with what you said about owning land that tied into other jokes made about your comment. 

Otherwise, cool story bro. 

• Jeepster47
    Options
    @Eggcelsior ... Our unifying president and his DOJ sidekick have set race relations back approximately 50 years. Poor Lyndon Johnson has got to be spitting mad and spinning in his grave over where we are today.  Thus, even among friends, you've got to make the joke more apparent ... kind of like this:

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    @Eggcelsior ... Our unifying president and his DOJ sidekick have set race relations back approximately 50 years. 

It's true, they have pissed off a lot of crazy white folk.  But I never paid attention to Rudy Giuliani anyway.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • nolaegghead
    Options

I'm no fan of public pension plans, they should use the same plans us public workers use.  However, 4.7 TRILLION dollars?  I think your decimal point is off a few digits.  Where did you get such an outrageous number?  I can't find a source for that number.  Actually, please footnote your information or just shut up.
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina ... the crazy white folk are only half the equation.

Rohm Emanuel is the mayor of Chicago.  A week or so ago, according to the polls, he was just short of the 51% he needed to avoid a runoff election.  So, Obama came to Chicago to campaign for him ... that surely would push Rohm over the top.  This morning's paper reported that Rohm actually slid backwards and will now have to participate in a runoff election.

So, in addition to the crazy white folk, we have the disappointed blacks and the dead folks who are moving on ...

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    They're going to keep pushing and taxing those of us who actually work/contribute until we snap.........

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • fishlessman
    Options

I'm no fan of public pension plans, they should use the same plans us public workers use.  However, 4.7 TRILLION dollars?  I think your decimal point is off a few digits.  Where did you get such an outrageous number?  I can't find a source for that number.  Actually, please footnote your information or just shut up.
    i believe your puter has a block on fox news =)

http://www.foxbusiness.com/government/2012/10/09/games-states-play-with-underfunded-pensions-665490505/

fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Ok, so the statement was out of context.  He started off the paragraph with "I live in Illinois..."

I aggregate all news sources, no blocking here.
    Options
    I agree with the pay taxes part when it comes to voting on raising taxes, but personally, I think the nation should abandon the income taxes and go with a straight sales tax.  That way, everyone that earns their income illegally, hence no W-2 to file, will still pay their taxes based on how much they spend.  Save more and pay less taxes.  And you could drastically shrink one of the over-grown government agencies.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• fishlessman
    Options
    Ok, so the statement was out of context.  He started off the paragraph with "I live in Illinois..."

I aggregate all news sources, no blocking here.
    was just kidding on the block =) i do have a beef with people on public pension plans not contributing to social security though, this part of it is just wrong
    fukahwee maine