Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

She said "These are the best wings ever"

Options

As a disclaimer, I have to state that I have not made any of the more sophisticated wing recipes that have been propagated on here so I cannot compare this recipe to them.  But when my loving bride states "These are the best wings ever" I have to declare victory.

The recipe was simple.  Look in the refrigerator and see what partially empty bottles are laying around and mix them up.  It was roughly 1/3 Soy Vay Very Teriyaki, 1/3 Buffalo Sauce (Texas Pete's I think), and 1/3 Minorcan Datil Pepper BBQ Sauce (the secret ingredient).

I discovered the Datil Pepper BBQ Sauce on a trip to St. Augustine a few years ago and now order it by the case from here.

http://www.minorcandatil.com/home.php

I put some corn starch on the wings for a couple of hours, then rubbed them with Chicken Tickler rub and cooked them at 350 raised indirect for about an hour until they were browning and getting crispy.  Then I put them in a covered Tupperware bowl with sauce in it and shook them up to cover them in sauce.  We put them back on the grill for about 8 minutes.  A few got overcooked so I ate those as they were still quite good.  The rest were outstanding.  It was a great combination of spicy and tangy.  We'll be doing this again. 

I welcome any thoughts on how to have a more even temp distribution because even with the grid raised I had some wings cook significantly faster than others. 

And yes, those are turkey legs underneath getting their skin crisped a little.

Thanks for looking.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

Comments

• GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Options
    Nice. My wings on Sunday were ok. Just haven't gotten comfortable enough to use the corn starch or cook raised direct. I went the indirect route. You slather in corn starch or sprinkle?

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    I'm not much help here, but I'd consider that a victory for sure. My wife doesn't like wings. Too much work. I'm thinking I'm going to have to do pops.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options

@GQuiz, I have sprinkled a couple of times and been disappointed so I slathered this time and was happier with the results.  Somebody else recently mentioned on here that they used a layer of corn starch first and let them sit uncovered in the refrigerator for a few hours and then added some rub (which was mixed with more corn starch).

On these, I probably overdid it on the corn starch, so when I put them on the grill I actively knocked off any corn starch that I could and then sprinkled on the rub, flipped them and then sprinkled rub on the other side.  It worked out pretty well.

Thanks for asking.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Options
    What happened to the LIKE button? Love the answer. Thanks @foghorn.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    My friend the question of even distrabution is so easy an old car guy can answer. Just pick up a demo Large and place next to your XL. Problem solved, plenty of grid space for wings.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Oh, very nice wings ^:)^
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Sounds like a hit! Thanks for the link. The bbq sauce looks good. I might order some of the pepper jelly too. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Very nice!  I enjoy making the "fridge door sauce" as well. 

For a more even temp distribution I like going indirect.  It can be a little more difficult to get the skin crispy, but if you cook raised indirect the convection action will help crisp up the skin. You might try that raised grid on the plate setter sometime (assuming it will fit) and see how you like them.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Foghorn
    Options
    Thanks @SmokeyPitt.  I was actually thinking about doing them indirect next time to see how I like it. 

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Options
    @Mickey, given that I have 5 other grills and I can fit 72 wings on the main grid on my XL, I'd have a hard time justifying another grill.  image

San Antonio, TX

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Foghorn said:

@Mickey, given that I have 5 other grills and I can fit 72 wings on the main grid on my XL, I'd have a hard time justifying another grill.  

But it would be possible...

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Dont start looking through your liquor cabinet
  • Foghorn
    Options

@DMW,

Well... I guess so... I hadn't really thought of it in those terms...

San Antonio, TX

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Very nice!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• bbqlearner
    Options
    Wow - nice!!! Love it.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    Nice wings and door suace is the best
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Great looking wings, I'd still check the garage and see if there are any new dings on the car, or maybe she just wants something special...... wait, when I get a compliment, that's my wife not yours. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    GQuiz said:

What happened to the LIKE button? Love the answer. Thanks @foghorn.

I noticed the like and agree et al are gone.

What pappened?
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    What pepper sauce from the company did you use? There appears to be a number of options.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Foghorn
    Options
    @QDude, I use the Barbecue Sauce. Not the marinade or one of the hot sauces.
    I've had the hot sauce and it is quite good but very hot - think Tabasco with a Datil flavor.

Thanks for asking.

San Antonio, TX

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    I'm going to try these soon!

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Nice, very nice. I love "wings". And there are so many great ways to cook them. When the wife loves em you can declare victory every time.
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • Foghorn
    Options
    @QDude, I did them again tonight at a friend's house on a different grill and got several "These are the best wings ever" comments from some semi-serious foodies.  I think I'm done experimenting with wings.  Use the corn starch, cook them until they are brown and crispy, put them in a bowl with the combination of the 3 sauces above, put them back on the grill for about 6 minutes to glaze them and then celebrate greatness.  Boom baby!

San Antonio, TX