Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My favorite meal of all

Options
2»

Comments

• xiphoid007
    Options
    Have you ever considered doing a reverse sear? You could get it a little closer to medium for those afraid of raw (a little rare, even for me) but still beautifully pink in the center.

I've used reverse sear for thicker steaks and even full beef filets with great results.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Have you ever considered doing a reverse sear? You could get it a little closer to medium for those afraid of raw (a little rare, even for me) but still beautifully pink in the center.

I've used reverse sear for thicker steaks and even full beef filets with great results.
    I'm a big fan of reverse searing, but not with a thin flank steak. Trust me I learned a long time ago with this piece it can become tough in a hurry and therefore I like the quick, hot sear and be done with it. Thankfully my wife loves it this way as well.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • NCEggSmoker
    Options
    mmmmm flank steak.   One of my very favorites (to steal a line from @SGH).  One of the beefiest tasting steaks available.

Mojo marinated for fajitas. asian style with soy, ginger, garlic, green onions or just S&P.  Always awesome.  
    Raleigh NC, Large BGE and KJ Joe Jr.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited January 2015
    Options
    fljoemon said:
    Can you please post a link from where you purchased the knife ..
    Here is where I buy the big breakers from. This link should (I hope) take you straight to the Victorinox 10" granton edge breaker. It's about half price if you get it without the granton edge.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RRP
    Options
    SGH said:
    fljoemon said:
    Can you please post a link from where you purchased the knife ..
    Here is where I buy the big breakers from. This link should (I hope) take you straight to the Victorinox 10" granton edge breaker.  http://www.katom.com/037-40634.html

yeah, that's the site - I knew that $70 price at Amazon was high and I just paid $55.
  • Sookie
    Sookie Posts: 335
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    That's a serious piece of meat! I've never wanted flank steak. Till now.
    Flank steak is awesome.  We marinade it in mole, jalapeno, cumin and other spices in a vacuum sealer overnight, then grill it similar to Ron's.  Seared and rare.  Steak taco's for the win. 
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    Looks delicious.  I usually reserve flank steak for stir frying.  Very tasty beef when prepared properly.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • RRP
    Options

Jeremiah said:
    That's a serious piece of meat! I've never wanted flank steak. Till now.
    I think some people feel this is an inferior piece, but even without any fat to speak of for marbling it is very tasty. This one was from a butcher shop and was premium choice at $9.99 a pound.
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    Here's mine from tonight. This is the only pic I got, meant to take one before I sliced but forgot. The marinade I used was pretty good but I'm def doing this again soon using your recipe. Good cut for the price and the taste was outstanding. I have ordered a Jaccard already in preparation for next time.image
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • RRP
    Options
    Looks good! BTW you have a PM from me.
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    thanks! I have another flank in the freezer, will probably cook it next weekend.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    That looks positively revolting . Kindly send it over here next time, and I will dispose of it properly :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Geez, that beasty knife makes my new 8 inch victornox breaking knife look wimpy. Wish I went with the 10 inch one. @sgh I recall you saying how to put a wicked edge on. What's your secret?
    Dunedin, FL
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    yzzi said:
    Geez, that beasty knife makes my new 8 inch victornox breaking knife look wimpy. Wish I went with the 10 inch one. @sgh I recall you saying how to put a wicked edge on. What's your secret?
    Brother I have a Baldor knife machine. I cut the factory edge off and recut a wicked taper on the blade. For the record, I do not recommend doing this my friend. The knives become extremely dangerous when sharpened in this matter. Also if you are not very careful around bone, you will roll the edge if you change the taper. I'm decent with a knife so I do recut all of my breaking and shoulder knives. Also if I do roll the edge I can easily touch it up or recut it on the Baldor. The knives will honestly work fine as is in factory form. Just give it a good steeling regularly and it will work wonders. One last point. Recutting the bevel reduces blade life significantly. I only get about 2 years out of a breaking knife. If you leave it as is, it will easily last a life time. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    Nice looking meal Ron! I say meal because I wouldn't need anything with that meat but a fork and even that is optional!
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • RRP
    edited January 2015
    Options
    GeorgeS said: Nice looking meal Ron! I say meal because I wouldn't need anything with that meat but a fork and even that is optional!

LOL - me too! I appease my wife and say "sure go ahead and fix me a salad" knowing I will "forget" to touch mine! BTW this was the first meal where I coined the term "head grabber". What I mean is when I start eating and enjoying it so much that whatever in the brain that is supposed to trip the "DO NOT EAT ANY MORE" signal gets blocked! So I have a set safety net measure with my wife that after 2 helping when she sees my eyes start to roll back in my head like a gator that she promises to save me by grabbing my head and if need be yelling
    RON THAT IS ENOUGH! 

LOL...BUT TRUE!!!
  • roofsc
    roofsc Posts: 53
    Options
    +1  knock his horns off and wipe his a** rare
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited January 2015
    Options
    RRP, looks great!   How is the tenderness when it is cooked that rare?  Flank can be tough, but I'm guessing you have it down to a science now with the marinade and the Jaccard.

Question on that Jaccard...since you cook this so rare, are you concerned about spreading bacteria from the outside of the meat, inside the meat and then not heating it enough to kill it?  I say that realizing there are a lot of risks in life and if you have been eating it this way for many years without and issue, then it likely isn't a major concern.  For example, I talk to some people who would never use a wood cutting board because they say the cracks can trap bacteria...okay, fine, I've never had food poisoning from my own food so I'm not really worried about it.  ;)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • RRP
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    RRP, looks great!   How is the tenderness when it is cooked that rare?  Flank can be tough, but I'm guessing you have it down to a science now with the marinade and the Jaccard.

Question on that Jaccard...since you cook this so rare, are you concerned about spreading bacteria from the outside of the meat, inside the meat and then not heating it enough to kill it?  I say that realizing there are a lot of risks in life and if you have been eating it this way for many years without and issue, then it likely isn't a major concern.  For example, I talk to some people who would never use a wood cutting board because they say the cracks can trap bacteria...okay, fine, I've never had food poisoning from my own food so I'm not really worried about it.  ;)

The tenderness is definitely there from the JACCARD! Otherwise you asked many questions and the answers are NO I am not concerned and have been enjoying this recipe this rare for well over 30 years now with never a problem. The only time I had food poisoning was 39 years ago from seafood in a fancy restaurant in SC on our 10th wedding anniversary! Have I built up an immunity? I don't know but BTW I also dry age my own beef sub-primals.Personally I would be more fearful of eating undercooked hamburger (which I do) than my JACCARDed flank steak or any that I JACCARD and eat within 48 hours! Maybe I have been lucky, but now at age 70 I think I have been exposed to many germs. On top of all this health disclosure I have only had one flu shot in my life and that was way back at age 19! LOL Even when fixing raw chicken I am careful, but I sure don't worry that I might die from it by morning.
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    RRP said:
    Ron I prefer my steak just like this but, to please the Mrs. on larger cuts I have to go Well which brings a tear to my eyes.
    I hear you, but the risk you run doing that to flank steak is turning it into shoe leather. Even planning to serve it rare I still use my JACCARD just to be sure.

In the same boat with you. Kills me to do a nice leg of lamb. Think I figured it out. Direct her side indirect my half. And a nice sear all around
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Nice looking cook. It looks like something from a steak house advertisement.. I'm with you alot people don't give this cut of meat a chance.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Looks great Ron. :-bd I had the same thought as @KiterTodd‌, but your reasoning makes sense to me.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Wow!  Great job Ron.  Cooked it to perfection.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    GeorgeS said:
    Nice looking meal Ron! I say meal because I wouldn't need anything with that meat but a fork and even that is optional!
    Some on here refer to Caveman style as cooking it directly on the coals.

I always felt Caveman style was sans fork & knife.  Just grab the slab o meat and start ripping bites off with your teeth.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    GeorgeS said:
    Some on here refer to Caveman style as cooking it directly on the coals.

I always felt Caveman style was sans fork & knife.  Just grab the slab o meat and start ripping bites off with your teeth.
    That's werewolf style.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    I'd have to cook mine a little longer, but thanks for the creative recipe.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • RRP
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'd have to cook mine a little longer, but thanks for the creative recipe.
    I understand - but you know what is funny? No one has asked for the recipe itself! I just referred to the ingredients in general. You want the actual recipe? LOL I'll be happy to share it! And NO you don't need to beg!
  • Walt2015
    Walt2015 Posts: 583
    Options
    Looks awesome. I picked up a 2 pack of flanks at Costco and cooked one tonight. One of my favorites
    Memphis, TN ----> Chattanooga, TN
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Sign me up coach
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    As usual Ron, you do not disappoint.  Another one of your recipes I have permanently bookmarked.
    Gregg
    Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
    Marietta, GA