Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

are we just different?

Options
2»

Comments

• SmokeytheEGG
    Options
    It is according to how you were raised or grew up.  I remember going to friends house when I was a child and coming home and complaining about the food.  My mothers response: "They don't know what good cooking is.  Everyone doesn't cook like we do."   Food was always important to us and it was part of our hospitality.  It holds true today.  I love to cook and it shows in my prep and cooks.  I am glad that love for food was passed to me and I hope to pass it along to my kids.
    Blue Ridge, GA
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Aviator said:

Tony, this is a disease. Had friends over for wife's b'day last week. Cooked every bit of it. But some insisted they bring something and I said OK. One of the fams brought stale tortillas and another snack. I mean STALE. So I asked them where she got it and she replied, I had it at home and were sitting around, so I brought it.

That's how much they care. Bring it for others rather than the garbage can.

That's just wrong.  Taking stale food to serve at someone else's party.

I would take a harder stance on telling your guests to not bring anything, or if they have to bring something, make it be a bottle of wine or a case of beer, something they can't screw up and then have your guests wondering why you served them stale chips.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    I can't help myself from making something. I went to a get together for about 10 people. I couldnt think of anything so I brought a electric griddle some wide white bread,some sliced cheddar and butter. They all flipped out over griddled cheese. you would have thought I was a celebrity chef or something. It was weird. It wasn't much but it was good. every now and then I still get comments about that night.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options

I like a good story.  And you're right, @Caliking - people don't have time to cook, or cook real food.  More and more families can't survive with dual incomes and there is little time to raise kids and work, and cook.  

I'm not talking about people that can't afford to cook...just different people that put little effort in entertaining. I know people that are in the 2 percentile income bracket that show up with a fruit cup tray. My observation is more of a pride, hospitable or caring thing.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Zmokin
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Ya know it's rude to bring food to someone's party if they didn't ask you to bring something.  It's like you are telling them, I don't know if what you are serving is going to be good enough for me, so I'll bring something I know I can eat.  Don't believe me, then read a book on etiquette.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    henapple said:
    I like a good story.  And you're right, @Caliking - people don't have time to cook, or cook real food.  More and more families can't survive with dual incomes and there is little time to raise kids and work, and cook.  
    I'm not talking about people that can't afford to cook...just different people that put little effort in entertaining. I know people that are in the 2 percentile income bracket that show up with a fruit cup tray. My observation is more of a pride, hospitable or caring thing.

I know. Just saying that different folks have different reasons for doing what they do.

Consider the folks who invite you to their party, and serve a   queso dip out of a jar or something similar. I give them credit for being hospitable and caring enough to have invited you. And you don't have to eat the dip :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • henapple
    Options
    @caliking. ..if you're serving queso out of a jar don't invite me to eat. We'll just have...PBR's
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I like to go all out as well, I hope to hear those mmmm's and wow's!  I was taught to put on quite a show as well growing up, so we still carry on those traditions here and love to entertain.  The Egg just adds another level of awesomeness to the party!  
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• Zmokin
    Options
    henapple said:
    @caliking. ..if you're serving queso out of a jar don't invite me to eat. We'll just have...PBR's
    We obviously have different preferences in beer.

Given the choice of PBR or Queso out of a jar; hand me the stale chips from Aviator's party and the Queso please, I'll enjoy a Guinness when I get home. :D

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    henapple said:
    We obviously have different preferences in beer.

Given the choice of PBR or Queso out of a jar; hand me the stale chips from Aviator's party and the Queso please, I'll enjoy a Guinness when I get home. :D
    I would rather have the PBR's. I'm a likker-ho - there are times when I'll drink anything. Those times seem to come annually, in March.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    Reminds me of one of my old weekly poker games, I cooked when it was my turn one time and all of a sudden we rotated to my house every other week, then every week.  Not fair as my poker game suffered from all the attention to food. LOL  

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Breaking news, people on cooking forum more concerned about food than general public.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Acn said:
    Breaking news, people on cooking forum more concerned about food than general public.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Tjcoley said:

Party snob here as well. We do a neighborhood party for about 50 people every year. Everything is made fresh and good quality. Spiral ham, pulled pork, home made lasagna, home made ziti, marinated roast beef for sandwiches, fresh rolls, six dozen stuffed cabbages imported from the coal region of PA, crab dip, cheese tray, cream cheese and pepper jam dip, fresh baked poppy seed and nut rolls, cookies, cheesecake, nuts, candy, beer, wine, punch, Kielbasi, shrimp tray, crab claws, fresh salsa............
    The last party we went to at one of the neighbors, I took 20 pounds of pulled pork and rolls. (Everybody was asked to bring something). Next closest thing to real food was cocktail weiners wrapped in crescent rolls. Lots of chips and dip, a veggie tray, cheese and crackers, fruit.

I wanna be your neighbor.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Yeah, one would think for a party, folks would do something special.

Unfortunately, way too many folks don't know anything about cooking, or just can't be bothered . And have become used to stuff that is garbage, to put it politely.

Tho' I did have some cheese puffs the other day that said they were "Buffalo" flavor. Dang. No food value whatsoever, but really easy to eat.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i grew up eating french toast made with weightwatchers skinney bread, powdered eggs and milk thinned out with powdered milk served with corn syrup and im from maple syrup country. and im still fussy when i eat out
    :)) thank god i dont eat that anymore, sorry mom
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • henapple
    Options
    Acn said:

Smartass
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Some people just can't cook, period!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options

To some people it is really about the company and the food is essentially irrelevant.  That's OK.  Some even see the time spent at a party fussing over making high quality food as a negative as it takes the cook away from the other people there and detracts from the quality and quantity of personal interactions during the event.  That's OK, too.  My wife and I once had a great evening at a friend's house eating Stouffer's lasagna.  We drank some forgettable really cheap wine, had great conversation and a lot of laughs. 

I occasionally get a little frustrated when someone takes shortcuts on food, but I make that frustration go away quickly by being thankful that I have friends who want to spend time with me - and realizing that is more important than the quality of the food.  On the rare occasion that doesn't work, I wash away the frustration with whatever crappy beer they are offering. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Foghorn said:

To some people it is really about the company and the food is essentially irrelevant.  That's OK.  Some even see the time spent at a party fussing over making high quality food as a negative as it takes the cook away from the other people there and detracts from the quality and quantity of personal interactions during the event.  That's OK, too.  My wife and I once had a great evening at a friend's house eating Stouffer's lasagna.  We drank some forgettable really cheap wine, had great conversation and a lot of laughs. 

I occasionally get a little frustrated when someone takes shortcuts on food, but I make that frustration go away quickly by being thankful that I have friends who want to spend time with me - and realizing that is more important than the quality of the food.  On the rare occasion that doesn't work, I wash away the frustration with whatever crappy beer they are offering. 

you should have a backup beer plan
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    Some people just can't cook, period!
    Then don't offer to host a dinner party!!  Pick another party to host or create your own.  We ran into the same situation in my old neighborhood for the annual Christmas progressive dinner so the HOA started having it catered and the food distributed to the hosting families.  Worked out quite well and if one of the families wanted to cook then they could but it took some of the pressure off those who couldn't.  
    I go all out when having folks over (most of the time).  I love food and want my guests to leave happy and full.  Last get together we hosted I made @eggobsessed Smoked Brisket Chili and had 3 separate guests ask if they could borrow containers to take some home with them.  THAT...in my book....is a successful party.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    henapple said:

Acn said:

Smartass
    A badge I will wear with pride.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Foghorn said:

...On the rare occasion that doesn't work, I wash away the frustration with whatever crappy beer they are offering. 

you should have a backup beer plan
    :D

@fishlessman, the Allagash that you recommended on my trip to Maine would be perfect for that, but unfortunately, I can't get it in Texas.  I even emailed the company...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX