Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Royal Oak or not?

Options
So far all I've used is Nature Glo (Royal Oak in a suit and tie), but I stumbled upon some Royal Oak in it's casual dress at Menards.  Today I finished off the Nature Glo stash, so topped off the fill with some Menards Royal Oak.  Upon lighting it, I noticed more smoke than normal ... in fact I pulled three pieces that were smoking like a smudge pot.  Two of those pieces were bark.

It's not fair to make a conclusion on a data sample of one, but the Royal Oak dressed in green from Menards didn't seem to be the same quality as Nature Glo.  I'd tell you that the smell was worse, but maybe that's just because @SGH has made me more paranoid.

What has been your experience with the Royal Oak derivatives?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

Comments

• fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    Options
    I have always used RO in the red bag (Made in America) and it has always been good...It sparks a little, but that's ok...I always used it in my old offset smoker as well.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    edited December 2014
    Options
    All I've ever used as Royal Oak. Alwats available, easy to light, and cheap. If you look at how charcoal is made you'll see why you get some odd things. For the price I'm not concerned. I buy the red bag from Wally world.

Now if I had access to something "fancier" I'd try it, but depends on price.

XLBGE 
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Ditto; what Fusion said.  Some smoky chunks like you mention, but good overall lump.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Red bag if you're going to use it. What does the green one say - is it a specific wood?
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I too have used RO in the red bagain from America and it was ok, but it smokes a lot and I now prefer RW at $20/20lb bag from my dealer. It's hard to go back after using RW.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I never had a problem with RO, rebranded as Wegman's lump. It takes longer to get to temp/clean smoke than Rockwood for me. Price is hard to beat.
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I've burned a lot of Royal Oak and always got along with it fine. I have used several other brands too. I just used the last of my 3-bag purchase of Royal Oak today as I have a small brisket going for chili. I started the egg at 9:00 and finally got the smoke clear by 10:15. The three bags I had were very slow to start. Might have just been a bad batch but I have had a lot of frustration with slow starts when using it lately. 

I prefer Rockwood as it starts faster and the white smoke clears much faster for me. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    I've probably used 50+ bags of Menards Royal Oak in the past. It's ok for what's available in big box stores. I've had much worse. I've been a lump snob the last few years with Ozark Oak. I'll take Royal Oak before Cowboy anyday.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I used RO for years and the food was always great, the problem I had with it is how long it took for the white smoke to clear, at least an hour or so. I use Rockwood now and can get my food on in 20 minutes or so.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    Options
    All I Use is RO in the red bag- no complaints---had a bag or two that wasn't in the best of shape-But for me clean and reliable for me....Been wanting to try something different to keep in my "hip pocket" I think Firecraft was the place
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    All I Use is RO in the red bag- no complaints---had a bag or two that wasn't in the best of shape-But for me clean and reliable for me....Been wanting to try something different to keep in my "hip pocket" I think Firecraft was the place
    I buy my Rockwood from firecraft.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    So far all I've used is Nature Glo (Royal Oak in a suit and tie), but I stumbled upon some Royal Oak in it's casual dress at Menards.  Today I finished off the Nature Glo stash, so topped off the fill with some Menards Royal Oak.  Upon lighting it, I noticed more smoke than normal ... in fact I pulled three pieces that were smoking like a smudge pot.  Two of those pieces were bark.

It's not fair to make a conclusion on a data sample of one, but the Royal Oak dressed in green from Menards didn't seem to be the same quality as Nature Glo.  I'd tell you that the smell was worse, but maybe that's just because @SGH has made me more paranoid.

What has been your experience with the Royal Oak derivatives?
    The truth is, I used RO for over 2 years myself. I would still use it in a pinch. The biggest problem that I see with RO is it just is not as clean burning as RW & OO. It took considerable more time to burn of the VOC's with RO than it does with either RW or OO. Heck I turned out a lot of great food using RO, but I find that RW & OO gives a superior over all result. Again if OO & RW were not available, I would burn RO rather than not cook. Also I like the neutrality of RW. RO will impart some what of a mild off taste to some things. For the record, I still use the 16 pound bags of RO to bring the big units on line. But once running I convert them to 100% wood. Please don't misunderstand anything that I said before. RO is a decent lump, especially for the price. It's just not in the same league as OO & RW. Again I did use it almost exclusively for over 2 years until Thatgrimguy and the Biggreenpharmicist showed me the light with OO & RW.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Here we go again. Hang on @Jeepster47‌, this thread might get as bumpy as the Rubicon trail.

Before using Ozark Oak, I used RO. I thought it was the greatest until I listened to some members on the forum and tried OO. Smoke wasn't horrible but definitely noticeable. I didn't like the small pieces.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    Options
    I've yet to try anything other than BGE lump, and RO, so listen to others who have...Maybe one day I will, but there's a home depot with RO less than a mile away!!
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Legume said:
    Red bag if you're going to use it. What does the green one say - is it a specific wood?
    The green bag has all the right words ...

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    edited December 2014
    Options
    fusionhq said:

I've yet to try anything other than BGE lump, and RO, so listen to others who have...Maybe one day I will, but there's a home depot with RO less than a mile away!!

Skip the BGE lump if you haven't already. It's Royal Oak bagged under the Big Green Egg name. You end up paying more for the bag to say BGE

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    The nearest Rockwood dealer is over 90 miles away, or I would already have tried it already.  Over Christmas vacation, we'll be going much closer to a hardware store in Wisconsin that stocks it, so I plan on giving Rockwood a trial after that trip.  I like the idea of starting with a neutral smoke and add makes the the missus ...

Other brands in this area are lower on the nakedwiz list than RO, so honest, we're using the best available.

I've resisted ordering lump over the internet, just because our UPS guys can screw up an anvil.  Dealers look like they get a pallet full (hard to rough a pallet up) and sell off it.  So, will see if it's good enough to warrant a dedicated trip.

@SGH and others who are converts, I've never felt shunned 'cuz I'm using it. Using it taught me the advantage of waiting for good smoke to appear before cooking.  So, thanks for your input.

• r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    Options
    Nothing wrong with RO IMO. Then again it's all I've tried and the most plentiful here in SoCal. As long as I don't try anything else, I guess I can't tell how bad it is like some people say. It burns hot, cooks well, it's cheap, plentiful and I'm never in a rush to cook when I'm egging so burning off the VOC's (what ever the hell that means), doesn't matter to me.

I mean it's charcoal not rocket science right???
  • SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Have had really mixed results with RO - some bags nothing but teenie tiny pieces that are all but unusable - that, and about a quarter bag of dust at the bottom.  Can't beat the price - especially on sale from Wally World for the 16 lb bags, but as they say.."you get what you pay for".  (I personally would like it if it weren't for the size consistency, the crazy sparkiness and the random chunks of.,.I have no idea what those are but they smoke like crazy and I'm not sure they aren't toxic.  Aside from that, it's a good lump!)

OO has been my go-to lump (much larger pieces consistently - at least in my first few bags from Firecraft),  but I also just got a 35 lb bag of Fogo from Amazon to test out also.  WW has also been good but a lot harder (in my experience) to light.
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • Legume
    Options

Legume said:

The green bag has all the right words ...

Yep, all the right words. I don't have a red bag handy to compare.
  • Legume
    Options
    Can someone explain burning off VOCs? I can't ever see them. X_X
  • r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    Options
    Legume said:

Can someone explain burning off VOCs? I can't ever see them. X_X

Me neither because there's too much smoke!!!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    With all the bad mouthing RO gets on this forum you wonder how they can remain the largest producer of lump packaged under their own name, BGE name and many other national chain store names. Can't say why they are such a big cat, but they are just the same. @Jeepster47 makes the same point I live by and I make my selections right off the pallet. The other sure fire method that works for me is I grip a bag to feel how tight it is packed. Any I find that seem loose-goosey will also rattle telling me they contain small pieces and those bags get set to the side!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Easy Ron! Don't get all wound up, it isn't good for you. I would think that a lot of the sparking and spitting that RO does may be a result of time in the shaker. Maybe the premium sub brands gets a little more. Be nice if STLCharcoal could chime in, or maybe Cali could give his friends at WW a call.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    I get RO cheap as hell from Home Despot. I find it a little smoky, but good overall. I have some OO, and some FOGO for when I want a cleaner/ neutral fire. ,I also got some sweet Santa Clara Valley Orangewood from a good guy @SMITTYtheSMOKER at his shop Eggs by the Bay, it is from mexico, but it is very clean burning, cooked my t-day turkey and the light smokiness was perfect.
    :-bd
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I'm thinking of ordering some Ozark Oak...is it worth $.60 lb?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    henapple said:
    Is there a way to vote someone off the ship? 

The lady at Ozark Oak laughed at me when I asked about a dealer in Illinois.  She was nice, in that southern belle way, but I think she was telling me that they don't share with Yankees. 

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited December 2014
    Options
    henapple said:

Dude, you know at $0.60 a lb your money is better spent on Royal Choke ummmm I mean Oak.
    =))

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Speaking of royal choke. ..somebody needs to tell dumbass she's a princess...not a hollabak
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN