Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Getting a new HDTV.....Samsung??

Options
Hey guys this way off topic but I'm lookin at a 65 inch Samsung un65h7150 hdtv anyone have one or like to share there opinion on what to get? Gotta let my 32 inch Sony trintron CRT go as it I is 20yrs old after all
Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    Love my 60 inch Sammy
    Jacksonville FL
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I have 7 Samsungs. I love them all. I haven't bought one in about 2 years, but when I need another tv it will be a Samsung. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Yes...3 here.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I don't think you can make a mistake with a Samsung.  I think those are widely viewed as some of the best sets around.

That being said, we went with an LG set a few years ago - one of their smart HDTVs.  It's a gorgeous set.  I just liked the look of it better than the Samsung.  

My only complaint is the remote.  It's just a little bit awkward to use at times.   
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    2 samsungs and a cheapo viseo. The last Samsung I bought was last year. Love it!
  • loveTheEgg
    loveTheEgg Posts: 573
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I have a 60" and I love it!! I always buy Samsung
    Brandon, MS
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Wow looks like Samsung is the way to go....bad day for the credit card on black Friday...lol

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    SIL has a new Samsung - smart TV, great features. Damn, you are going to update all your cable boxes - HD is like moving from black and white to colour. You with EastLink? We are looking at a smaller Sammy, 42", for our bedroom. 

Check out the picture with a full white background - like watching a hockey game, my TV room is quite dark and a Panasonic plasma provided the best picture, IMO. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    2 TVs, 2 smart phones.....................all Samsung. :-h
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    All Samsung here

XLBGE 
  • CANMAN1976
    edited November 2014
    Options
    SIL has a new Samsung - smart TV, great features. Damn, you are going to update all your cable boxes - HD is like moving from black and white to colour. You with EastLink? We are looking at a smaller Sammy, 42", for our bedroom. 

Check out the picture with a full white background - like watching a hockey game, my TV room is quite dark and a Panasonic plasma provided the best picture, IMO. 

Already have bell fibreop and a bunch of HD channels just missing the tv.

• Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    Options
    I would look into buying a samsung 4K tv. They have come way down in price and that's the way the tech. Is going. If you have a best buy close by , go take a look and compare the 4K to the 1080 model.
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • CANMAN1976
    Options
    Kosko said:
    I would look into buying a samsung 4K tv. They have come way down in price and that's the way the tech. Is going. If you have a best buy close by , go take a look and compare the 4K to the 1080 model.

Ain't providers a few years away from offering 4k content? I'm sure 4k is better but the sets are much more $$$ as well.

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    +1 on Samsung here as well. Great TV.
    jmarbs21 Posts: 139
    Options
    Agreed with everyone, Samsung is where its at
    Durham, NC
  • CANMAN1976
    Options
    At first i was going to get a vizio because they have a full array of LEDs with local dimming as opposed to the edge lit Sammy but I have read about a lot of issues with blooming on those vizios so Sammy is my likely candidate.

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Well seems like I'm in the minority here. Sound sucks in my 60" Sam. Sam soundbar cures it but you need a separate remote for the soundbar. At least the soundbar I have. I'm no audio guy but I really do think the sound sucks
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• bigalsworth
    Options
    People use speakers on TV's? You really can't go wrong with any brand name TV, they all make parts for each other. Just stay away from no name brands like dyntech, which is future shop brand. Also remember because it looks good in the store does not mean it will look good at home but don't fret, every TV needs to be calibrated. Lots of forums give popular brands optimal settings for home use if you don't know how to calibrate it yourself. Search avs forum, or google. Also 4 k is getting pushed hard but may not be worth it yet with how little content there is. Having said that, if it is in your price range than go for it. I also listened to a podcast on home theater geeks with a professional av installer who said you have to spend 100k+ to truly utilize 4k.

Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • ChicagoEgghead20
    Options
    love my 50" samsung - I have that and a 32" vizio, the vizio is the guest room.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    grege345 said:
    Well seems like I'm in the minority here. Sound sucks in my 60" Sam. Sam soundbar cures it but you need a separate remote for the soundbar. At least the soundbar I have. I'm no audio guy but I really do think the sound sucks
    I think you will find the audio is not great on any flat screen. You need cubic volume to allow sound to be developed, that's why those old rear projection units had great sound - lots of speaker space. The new units have very little room for proper sound development, so many go with a receiver to drive 5.1 or 7.1 audio. On my three year old plasma I don't know if the speakers even work - never used them.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • RJD253
    Options
    You should also consider the Sony 4K XBR series.
  • Smoker317
    Options
    We have three, two plasmas, one LED.  Our 60" is a smart tv and it is very convenient for using netflix, etc.  I bought the 60" a year ago October.  The picture is great. 

Also check out a Samsung wireless sound bar.  The sound is incredible for movies and sports etc.  I have this model sound bar HW-F450/ZA.  It automatically synchs with a Samsung t.v. or for other t.v. it is blue tooth compatible.  For the price, it packs great sound.  I listened to BOSE and a couple others and it wasn't that big of a difference to my ear.  I also listened to some cheaper ones which sounded cheap.
    Egghead since November 2014, XL-BGE & ET-732
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    I was between Samsung and Sony.  You have to look at the picture.  If you can get them to set the TVs to default.  They like to boost brightness and contrast on the store TVs to give a false sense of how good a set looks.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    What's your viewing room like?  I love the Samsung's picture too but the glossy screen picks up reflections from the windows behind me.  I went with LG as they offer a matte screen, it makes a big difference in my room (and this is something you can see easily in your local brick-n-mortar box store).  

Personally I'm not interested in 4K.  My eyes can't see a difference in the picture at normal viewing distances, only if my face is two feet from the screen.  The new OLEDs, on the other hand, you can see the picture difference from halfway across the Best Buy; stunning picture!!  :-bd  I'm waiting until the price comes down (right now a 55" LG OLED is $3,600) however.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• bigalsworth
    Options
    OLED FTW
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • KingtUT
    KingtUT Posts: 157
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Just bought the Samsung 55" 7150 model a few days ago. Picture is incredible but sound is average at best. I have no idea how good this tv will be in the future but for now it's sweet. Go ahead and get a surround sound system if you don't have one all ready. It's the next thing on my list, just waiting for my $50 rebate card to come.
  • yumdinger
    Options
    I am looking at the Vizio M series, 55 inch $679 at Costco.  Pretty good reviews.
  • mcypert09
    Options
    I have four LCD TVs in my house, all four are Samsungs. Two of the four are LED Smart TVs that I have on my living room wall and on my finished basement wall. I can say I would not buy any other TV. I think Samsung manufactures great TVs

Appleton, WI and Baileys Harbor, WI (Kangaroo Lake)

Grilling and smoking meat year around (even in Frozen Tundra temperatures); tasting and brewing beer - like bourbon and whiskey too; fan of the Green Bay Packers

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options

My BIL has a business calibrating TV's (DTX certified, Dolby certified, bunch of other training stuff he had to do).  He has his favourite's and I can't afford any of them but in general he tells me that almost any TV is fine but the colours are often calibrated to the blue end of the spectrum because that's the colour that shows best under fluorescent lights in the big box stores.  He spends a good hour usually doing a TV and sets up different settings for what the environment is when you watch (one for daytime, one for night movies etc). 

Point is that they are all likely pretty good.  He would also agree that the speakers are all token gestures now because they are meant to be used with surround etc.  He set me up with a Samsung Wireless AirTrack that is awesome for my place because I wasn't going to screw around with speakers etc.  At his house, his wife has to be wary where she puts Christmas cards because they "interfere" with the sound projection but I think he's full of sh!% on that one :)

Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • SWOkla-Jerry
    Options
    I just purchased a Samsung 75" smart TV last month and love it.  I have a 6 spkr surround sound hooked up to it, and hardly ever leave the house.  lol