Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT color printer

Options
Has anyone purchased a new color printer/scanner lately? I'm looking for something that produces good color pictures at home. We don't print a ton of pics from home so it doesn't have to be the fastest thing in the world just good quality.
Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    GeorgeS said:

Has anyone purchased a new color printer/scanner lately? I'm looking for something that produces good color pictures at home. We don't print a ton of pics from home so it doesn't have to be the fastest thing in the world just good quality.

If the sole purpose is to print photos, the Canon pixma pro line is great. I believe @nolaegghead‌ got one so he might be able to chime in.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    We have a cheapie pixma 920 for scanning and it makes fair colour photos. I'd defer to folks like @cazzy and @Nolaegghead and @hapster as experts but given the number of photo labs around and how they little they cost, unless you are a "photog" why would you try and print at home? 
    Our local Costco prints for <10 cents a pop, hard to beat - granted you have to wait. Our Brother colour laser does a nice proof and is great for text. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • cazzy
    Options

We have a cheapie pixma 920 for scanning and it makes fair colour photos. I'd defer to folks like @cazzy and @Nolaegghead and @hapster as experts but given the number of photo labs around and how they little they cost, unless you are a "photog" why would you try and print at home? 

Our local Costco prints for <10 cents a pop, hard to beat - granted you have to wait. Our Brother colour laser does a nice proof and is great for text. 
    The main reason to print at home is convenience. Someone I follow did some comparisons from the PIXMA Pro to a professional lab and it was hard to distinguish who printed the photo. This was also printing a 13x19 print which would be alot more to print at a lab. Sometimes printing a hard copy is a good reference to have after post processing before you send it off to a professional photo lab.
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    We usually take our stuff in to print. But I would like something at home that can do a good job if necessary. This is intended to be an all around printer so regular stuff and every once in a while photos.
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    GeorgeS said:
    We usually take our stuff in to print. But I would like something at home that can do a good job if necessary. This is intended to be an all around printer so regular stuff and every once in a while photos.
    There's the rub I was referring to. An ink jet has a significantly higher cost for all round printing than a laser. Been awhile but last time I compared, the laser printer for regular colour printing was <5 cents a page, the ink jet well over 25 cents a page - assuming standard print stock. Picture paper drives the cost even higher. Convenience is important, i get that. Maybe I'm spoiled because I could almost upload 10-20 15 Mb pics to my local high end camera shop, drive up and get the prints faster than my Pixma can print them at about 1/3 the cost. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • cazzy
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/Epson-WorkForce-Smartphone-Compatible-C11CD19201/dp/B00JXLGF06/ref=sr_1_1?s=office-electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1413077912&sr=1-1

or

Laser is great, but you'll pay a premium to get a decent one.  Remanufactured inkjet catridges can be had for cheap locally and online.  
  • Lvnthedrm
    Lvnthedrm Posts: 153
    Options
    Careful with inkjets. If not used regularly print heads and nozzles will dry up and can't always be remedied.
  • cazzy
    Options
    Lvnthedrm said:
    Careful with inkjets. If not used regularly print heads and nozzles will dry up and can't always be remedied.
    true that.  Happened to me after having one in storage for a lil bit.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    cazzy said:
    If the sole purpose is to print photos, the Canon pixma pro line is great. I believe @nolaegghead‌ got one so he might be able to chime in.
    it's still in the box.  Sorry.  Haven't tried it yet.

If you want to print pictures, you want inkjet.  Laser doesn't print photo quality.
    Options
    cazzy said:

If you want to print pictures, you want inkjet.  Laser doesn't print photo quality.
    Which one do you have?
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Pixima Pro-100
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Pixima Pro-100
    How much you want for it?     :D
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    You can find them every now and then for $100 after a $300 rebate.  Usually with photoshop elements or a bunch of paper or something.

I've had a couple large format Epsons and I f-ing hate them.  You can't beat the quality but the print heads dry up and don't always clean and you can use $10 worth of ink cleaning them.   I had a bulk feed system.  I still have the recharge system with the chip resetter.

Anyway, jury is still out on this Canon.
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't. It's too easy with consumer labs or even pro send out labs. With digital, you can download color settings from the lab for your monitor so the print looks identical to your edited shot. Pro labs are basically unnecessary since the equipment is the same as what consumer labs have now.

Printer-wise, I echo recommendations above of Canons Pixima or Epson Stylus. In the 300-400 range, print quality is basically equal and you are comparing options like built-in Wifi and cartridge amounts(up to 8) plus media size output. Next step up is getting near 1k and is where people are making money on what they print.

If you just want 4x6 pictures, another option is compact printers or dye-sublimation units.
  • Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    Options
    cazzy said:

Patently incorrect statement. Sorry. Laser is the top of the food chain in that segment.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    I am not super techie, but techie enough. I have nbeeen going through HP all in ones like they are disposable, so that is how I view them, every two years or so they take a crap and I go get another one that is like someone above said, very low priced and also given a killer rebate, so they end up costing a buck, buck and a half total.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    I'm with Anton on the HPs. 
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • GeorgeS
    Options
    Jesus I opened a can of worms didn't I? So go cheap and take the damn pictures to the store to print. God I wish you guys would just say what's on your mind! Hey George quit being a dumb ass you can't have it both ways. Maybe I should try selling T-shirts :-). Thanks guys!!
  • cazzy
    Options
    @Gogogordy  Do you have anything to support that claim?  Top of the food chain is a professional photo lab and that is neither technology.  They use chemicals and light exposure to print images.

Laser printing struggles with high saturation photos and perform well with text sharpness.  While much slower, Inkjet is superior with printing photos.  Eager to read some literature to support your claim.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Gogogordy said:
    cazzy said:

Patently incorrect statement. Sorry. Laser is the top of the food chain in that segment.
    @Gogogordy - I'm talking about something for home use.  I don't follow that stuff much anymore but I haven't heard of a photo laser printer for home use before.  If you have some reviews, a model or something to back up that statement I'd love to see it and learn something new.
    edited October 2014
    Options

Gogogordy said:

cazzy said:

GeorgeS said:

@Gogogordy - I'm talking about something for home use.  I don't follow that stuff much anymore but I haven't heard of a photo laser printer for home use before.  If you have some reviews, a model or something to back up that statement I'd love to see it and learn something new.

Indeed. Yes, that $50,000 printer at your local(insert photo lab here) beams the image with a laser onto light sensitive photo paper. Please provide evidence of consumer level laser printers that exceed ink jet quality in a 300-400 dollar price point. Patently, of course. FYI, lab laser printers and the kind that heat-fuse powder to the paper are not the same.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Inkjets print nice photos these days. I have a cheap Epson wf2530. Takes too long and too much of a hassle to do photos. But one feature I thought worth mentioning is AirPrint. If you have an iPhone or iPad it's awesome. The printer hooks up to wifi and you can print anything right from your phone. There's a similar feature for android but I haven't used it.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Lvnthedrm said:

I used to have this exact issue. I now have a xerox laser printer. The toner never dries up like the old ink jets. It is a larger up front cost, but if you don't use the ink jets they are useless and you have to toss them. Do that a couple of time and replace 4 ink jets, there is your cost.
  • khristyjeff
    Options
    I have an Epson Stylus Photo 1400 wide format printer that I really have liked. The photos turn out very realistic-looking to me. Haven't had a problem with print heads drying out. Mine is probably 4 years old and replaced a similar model that lasted maybe 7 years. Good luck with your decision.
  • GeorgeS
    Options
    Thanks for all the input folks!
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    anton said:

I am not super techie, but techie enough. I have nbeeen going through HP all in ones like they are disposable, so that is how I view them, every two years or so they take a crap and I go get another one that is like someone above said, very low priced and also given a killer rebate, so they end up costing a buck, buck and a half total.

Thank you! For the next year I appreciate the business. ;)
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options

I like Epson and Canon both.

Cleaning a clogged print head. I saved a lot print heads back when people use to bring inkjets in the shop to get fixed.  Don't get any service calls on inkjets anymore.

http://www.castleink.com/category/82/Cleaning-Clogged-Canon-Print-Heads.html?language=en

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    I use a HP 2025 at home. Pictures on photo paper are pretty decent. I don't recall my prior inkjets being much, if any, better, but they were general purpose and not photo printers. I use the 2025 more for documents than for photos and I will not buy another inkjet.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • mshump
    mshump Posts: 212
    Options
    If you have an interest in Epson. Go to Epson USA, Store, Then clearance center. I have bought a few printers off there and they are cheap and usually do free shipping out of Indianapolis.

Danville, Il