Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-Convection Oven

Options
SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
Anyone familiar with these? I'm thinking of buying this for my wife. Any help, thoughts or opinions are greatly appreciated. Seems like it should work. Your thoughts my friends?image

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    your egg is a convection oven when you have an indirect piece in.  basically it is constant hot moving air, as opposed to a regular oven that cycles on and off to keep its temp, this will use a fan to circulate the air continuously throughout the cook.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    edited October 2014
    Options
    We remodeled last year and installed KitchenAid  dual fuel (gas cook top, electric oven) 36" that also does convection.  I  ****HATE***** those silly glass cooktops they are so inconsistent and uncontrollable temps. Yuck!!!!
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I have one in don't know when to use convection and when not to to be honest.
    Mine is also induction , that's nice.
    Seattle, WA
  • SGH
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Thanks fellows. It's marked way down so I think I'm going to buy it. If she doesn't like it I will sit it outside by Unit 1 & Unit 6 and use it as a warning/holding oven.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    Options
    We have an Amana double oven set with convection. Likely made by the same factory as Whirlpool owns both. Ours cooks very evenly and quicker than when used as conventional. Takes a bit of time to get used to the differences, but we like ours a lot.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    They have a setting for convection so if you want to use in regular mode you can. No reason not to have the options.
    Jacksonville FL
  • SGH
    Options
    @bettysnephew‌
    Thank you for the input. I getting it my friend. Again if she doesn't like it I will get her another one and use this outside with Unit 1 & 6 as a warning/holding oven. Again thanks for the input.

Status- Standing by.

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    If your wife likes to bake, especially specialty baking, the convection feature will be greatly appreciated, that is it's main purpose. It does help with other things as well. I used one numerous times and I likes it.
    :-bd
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    If you did not have a double oven before, your first observation will be that you have to bend a lot more to access the "big" oven. That being said, we almost alwways use the smaller (top) one.

Options
    @bettysnephew‌ @Dobie‌ @anton‌ @onedbguru‌ @U_tarded‌
    Thank yall for the input my friends.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @paqman‌
    Good point my friend and thanks for sharing. Not to worry though, I will make the wife do all the bending ;)

Status- Standing by.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    paqman said:
    If you did not have a double oven before, your first observation will be that you have to bend a lot more to access the "big" oven. That being said, we almost alwways use the smaller (top) one.
    Agree completely. Our's has the small unit on the top - which is what we wanted, for two of us the small oven replaced the toaster oven in our kitchen, more counter top. Also, the small oven is not convection - but damn can it broil. The large convection oven on the bottom means you have to almost kneel on the floor to get things in and out - not a big deal as we use it maybe a dozen times a year. SWMBO bakes cookies in the lower on convection  - two or three sheets at a time with perfect results. Cookies are not heavy so bending to get them in and out is not a problem. 
    She loves the glass top as it always looks clean, I tell her it is because it never gets used - what a crappy cooking tool. If you can, get coils on the top or better yet gas for the top, electric for the oven. Good luck!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Been looking at these since GE introduced them and really want to get one. Only bad thing I see with the one you're looking at is it's not GE @SGH‌ :D
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • SGH
    Options
    @tarheelmatt‌
    They have the Maytag on sale for almost half price. Thought I would jump on it. There is a real good chance that this thing will become a outdoor holding oven for Unit 1 so I didn't want to invest to much money up front for something that might wind up out side brother tar!! I like GE as well my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @Skiddymarker‌
    Thanks for all the input brother marker but gas isn't a option for me.

Status- Standing by.

• cactus_darrell
    Options
    I have that oven, the top oven is pretty short, a Corning ware casserole dish with lid will not fit in top oven. Ours is gas and it does have  definite hot spots. Roasting chilies need to spin tray 180 to keep from burning.  I would be interested to see if electric model has a taller top oven.

BGE, Treager LilTex, Terinan 48 SOB, Custom electric smoker, Weber kettle, Weber gas grill, Masterbuilt SS smoker, last but not least UDS

I've never meet a cow I didn't like, with a little salt and pepper.

Amarillo, Texas

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    @SGH - gas is not an option for us, which is why we have the glass top monster. I now have a twin burner Camp Chef, Weber, Egg, Broil King gasser, hotplate and induction HOB in my pit as I refuse to even try and cook anything on the glass top - although it can warm up a can of soup - just don't let it boil over. 
    Did a Google or two - the model you referenced has some nasty comments - the ovens can be 80º off. Only had one Maytag and it was great. To me the key is the number of passes the elements make across the oven (if they are exposed where you can see them) In ours only the top/broil elements are exposed. The small upper oven has four loops or 8 passes, the large convection bottom oven has only three loops or 6 passes. Makes sense as the broiling is done in the top oven, the lower oven doesn't need as many loops as the convection moves the air around. Convection is kinda like using the egg to turbo. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SGH
    Options
    @Skiddymarker‌
    Good input my friend. I think I'm going to try it. Like I said if I don't like it I will drag it outside and park it by Unit 1 and use it as a warmer. My wife has decided that she wants it so I can't say no to her. Why? I have another stick burner on the way. She would make a big deal out of me getting another smoker and not her oven. So to keep her quite its a done deal my friend. But thanks for all the info brother marker.

Status- Standing by.

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I have a convection oven and rarely use it in convection mode.  I tend to use it in normal mode without the fan running.  Convection should cook quicker.  In a normal oven, the cold food and dish you put in the oven cool down the stagnant air right around the food.  By turning on a fan, this blows the cold air away from the food replacing it with hot air, so you have more heat always adjacent to the food you are cooking, hence the faster cooking time.  If you don't like the convection mode, just use it normal mode and it should still work fine.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    We have a Frigidaire dual oven convection unit and love it.  We use convection all the time and it definitely cooks faster.  It has 2 convection settings, one just uses the fan and circulates the oven heat. The other setting turns on a heater within  the fan and blows hotter air around the food.

The instructions in our book say not to use convection for baking but doesn't say why.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I have the GE profile induction Stove. Been more than happy with it. It is pricey $2500 or so.
    Cheap compared to a few of those outdoor units I'm sure.
    Seattle, WA
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Uh, when exactly does your wife ever get to cook?
    Dunedin, FL
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    @SGH‌
    Hey Buddy, we have that exact one we love it ours is electric but wish I had gas.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    We have the GE with induction top range. I've been underwhelmed by the convection oven. Not much better so far than our old gas range for baking. I'm hoping that it just needs some calibration that I plan to do soon.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options

@SGH

Brother man...we have a Thermadore Dual fuel with a gas convection oven and high BTU burners. In the 6 years we used convection...um..wait for it...wait...ONCE.

But if it makes the wife happy....Brother..get it for her...

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• SGH
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @bcsnave‌ @Ragtop99‌ @JRWhitee‌ @yzzi @SkinnyV‌ @Shiff‌ @Zmokin‌ @cactus_darrell‌
    Thank you all for the input and advice my friends.
    @henapple‌
    That just flat out racists. I'm both appalled and offended sir ;)

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @henapple‌
    My thread will no longer bump thanks to you and your offensive afro ;)

Status- Standing by.

• bcsnave
    edited October 2014
    Options

Barry,,,,barry.....barry

WHY YOU MAD?  You Jelly?

:-O

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

Glenbeulah, WI

• bcsnave
    Options
    bump to the top

Glenbeulah, WI