Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo Thoracic Cage

Options
SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
Nothing special today.
Just some trimmed spares.
Going to run indirect raised on a inverted V rack at 400 degrees until done. Simple and fast.
imageimageimageimageimage

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    edited September 2014
    Options
    @SGH Wow I'm impressed. When did you learn to use such a big word? :-?
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• SGH
    Options
    @TigerTony‌
    Thanks man. I make up most of those words as I go ;)

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Big slab! looks like it will be great, checking back in for the money shot.@SGH
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Looking good!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH
    Options
    @anton @NPHuskerFL‌
    Thanks my friends.

Status- Standing by.

• mitch2264
    Options
    How long at 400 do you think it will take? 
  • SGH
    Options
    Let me just say this my friend. I forgot about them while I was bush hogging. That being said I can say with 100% certainty that 3 hours at 400 degrees is far to much. Nothing but ash and bone. It usually takes about 80 minutes at 400 degrees though on very large slabs.

Status- Standing by.

• mitch2264
    Options
    Oh, snap!  I hate it when I do stuff like that!  Hate that happened. sorry about that :(!  I bought some good fillet mignons one year to take to my brother's house.  We got to partying and cutting up and wound up with $50.00 hockey pucks.  We still chuckle over that.

80 minutes at 400--that sounds good!
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Thats one of my tricks right there. I can baby a rack of ribs for hours and hours, then get cute and sauce them or something and crank the heat to set the glaze, then have another beer, forget about the heat adjustment, and burn the crap outa the most beautiful meat ever. AND, I've done that crap on several occasions.

Little Rock, AR

• SGH
    Options
    You got to love it brother!!

Status- Standing by.

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Thats one of my tricks right there. I can baby a rack of ribs for hours and hours, then get cute and sauce them or something and crank the heat to set the glaze, then have another beer, forget about the heat adjustment, and burn the crap outa the most beautiful meat ever. AND, I've done that crap on several occasions.

You are not alone.  I'VE HEARD that it happens to others as well. ;)

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    Options
    Pics or it didn't happen.
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    Iodized salt?  Ran out of kosher?
  • SGH
    Options
    I sure did. It's not often but it does happen.

Status- Standing by.

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    Another excellent cook @SGH!
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• SGH
    Options
    @fusionhq‌
    Here they were 50 minutes in before the pending and unfortunate incineration.imageimage

Status- Standing by.

• mitch2264
    Options
    That is worthy of shedding a tear!
  • SGH
    edited September 2014
    Options
    @mitch2264‌
    No doubt brother!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I almost cried.

Status- Standing by.

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    ~X(

Next time brother....always a next time.
    Seattle, WA
  • SGH
    Options
    @SkinnyV‌
    For sure brother Skinny! No more bush hogging while cooking!!

Status- Standing by.

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    That was some pretty good uniform pull back.  They look very close to being done.  How much longer were you planning on leaving them on?  I don't cook turbo ribs, but at 400, I'd guess they'd take around 2 hours or less.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • SGH
    Options
    @cazzy‌
    They were still about 25 minutes out. They were very tight and hadn't rendered down. The pull back comes much faster when running the real high temps on spares.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    They looked pretty good at that point. I may have to sale my tractor!!!

Status- Standing by.

• RiverDoc
    Options
    Wow! @sgh as a newbie I'm not qualified to say anything except I still stand in awe sir.
    -Todd
    Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Thoracic Pork gets two thumbs up!
    Flint, Michigan
  • SGH
    Options
    @RiverDoc‌
    Thank you brother River. They were looking awesome until I forgot about them. They weren't so impressive then I assure you!!!!

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @Fred19Flintstone‌
    Thank you for the kind words brother Fred.

Status- Standing by.

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    SGH said:

They looked pretty good at that point. I may have to sale my tractor!!!

Yeah right. If you did go completely bonkers and do it, I'd be first in line to buy it though. I need one with a little more ass in it. Mines just a 25 horse. I need to get another one though.

Little Rock, AR

• SGH
    Options
    @Biggreenpharmacist‌
    I wouldn't really sell it. I'm pretty attached to that one. I just need to stay off of it when cooking!!!!

Status- Standing by.

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Sorry for your loss! Does misery love company? I torched these last weekend.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle