Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Home made shoulder bacon (lotsa pics)

Options
@Cookinbob‌ made and posted some shoulder bacon a few weeks ago. When I saw his post I new I had to try it myself. So I had an 8lb Boston butt in the freezer that I thawed and cut in half. The boneless half weighed in at exactly 4lbs. I mixed up some dry cure from the book Charcuterie and dredged the butt in it. It was then put in a large zip top bag and put in the refrigerator where it lived for ten days. Each Day I flipped it over and gave it a good rub through the plastic bag. On day 11 I removed from bag and rinsed well with cold water. After rinsing I set it on a rack on a platter and back in the fridge. This time it stayed in the fridge for two days. It came out of the fridge Tuesday and went on the small egg @ 200 dome temp with Ozark Oak lump and a hickory and pecan mix for a good hot smoke. I was really proud of the small egg. I held 200 dome for six hours and it used very little lump. After letting the mahogany hunk of pork cool down I wrapped in plastic wrap and back in the fridge for two more days. I sliced it up today and fried up a couple pieces to sample. OMG this tastes amazing! I will say that it tastes more like cured ham than bacon but WOW, it is very good. I will definitely be doing this again.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

Comments