Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tainted donkey meat?

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,898
edited July 2014 in EggHead Forum
Guess I missed the news earlier, but today there was a news item about unsanitary meat processing in China which affected Micky Dee and YUM restaurants. Then the article concluded with a reference to Wally World having had a similar problem when it was discovered the donkey meat they were selling was tainted with fox meat! WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMING TO? A guy can't even get a pure donkey burger anymore? LOL
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I didn't know there was untainted donkey meat...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • RRP
    Options
    DMW said:
    I didn't know there was untainted donkey meat...
    I just went back to the report again and sure enough it sounded like a deliberate act to fool WM by purposefully cutting the pure donkey meat with fox meat!
  • DMW
    Options
    I just found the article. It had to do with Walmart in China. I was confused, as I had never seen donkey meat in WM. Thought perhaps at first they were passing it off as beef. I remember when I was in China in '99 seeing things on store shelves I wouldn't feed a dog.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    Hmmm, I just joined the forum about and hour ago and now I am perplexed...is donkey/fox meat some type of initiation ritual here?

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• RRP
    Options
    EGGjlmh said:
    Hmmm, I just joined the forum about and hour ago and now I am perplexed...is donkey/fox meat some type of initiation ritual here?
    sort of...but it has to turn green first...
  • EGGjlmh
    Options
    Hmmm, interesting

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

This thread is as bizarre as the SGH (who is he / who isn't he) mystery.

As far as donkey meat goes. I don't eat strange ass.  

I prefer syrup.
  • mshump
    mshump Posts: 212
    Options
    Low and slow with some dizzy pig !! Tasty !!
    Danville, Il
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Different things are eaten in different parts of the world. Last year NPR ran a piece on the problem of hunters poaching donkeys off of farms for meat. Horse meat is eating France and Kazakhstan, that I know of. And so on.

I wouldn't have thought it would be economical to cut donkey meat with a smaller animal like fox. Kind of like counterfeiting $1 bills instead of $100 bills.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    Options
    I suspect that some families in China will be getting a bill for the bullets used to execute the ones responsible.  That is what happened to the guys that put the melamine in the baby formula.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I'm a T & A guy. I didn't know the T is for Tainted.
    Flint, Michigan
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Options
    You guys are cracking me up.  Thanks for making me google "donkey meat fox".

It was called "5 Spice Donkey Meat" by the way.

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • DMW
    Options
    caliking said:
    Different things are eaten in different parts of the world. Last year NPR ran a piece on the problem of hunters poaching donkeys off of farms for meat. Horse meat is eating France and Kazakhstan, that I know of. And so on. I wouldn't have thought it would be economical to cut donkey meat with a smaller animal like fox. Kind of like counterfeiting $1 bills instead of $100 bills.
    Good point. My cultural influences were too strong to try a certain organ that I saw vacuum packed in the market.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• EGGjlmh
    Options

Wow, ok I googled it too, I at first thought RRP was just blowing donkey S%#^

Just glad he was serious about the report and not my initiation to the forum.

• RRP
    Options
    EGGjlmh said:

Wow, ok I googled it too, I at first thought RRP was just blowing donkey S%#^

Just glad he was serious about the report and not my initiation to the forum.

No, the report of cutting donkey meat with fox meat just seemed too bizarre not to mention. BTW a belated welcome to the forum! Now OTOH you will need to drink the green KoolAid and be taught the secret handshake...
  • EGGjlmh
    Options

Thank you sir....

BTW over the last several months I have been lurking in the shadows and I really enjoy learning much knowledge from you. 

I will sometime in the near future hit you up for a Rutland, my large gasket went toast a few weeks ago

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    My last Big Mac tasted like ass.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• DMW
    Options
    Botch said:
    Maybe that's because it was cut with fox?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• EGGjlmh
    Options
    Botch said:

=))

TOOO Funny

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    This thread is as bizarre as the SGH (who is he / who isn't he) mystery.

As far as donkey meat goes. I don't eat strange ass.  
    I prefer syrup.
    You told me peanut butter…………. :P

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    What is this world coming too when you can't even get untainted donkey meat?
    Options
    It would probably give you the (fox)trots……... :-&

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    lakewade said:

You guys are cracking me up.  Thanks for making me google "donkey meat fox".

It was called "5 Spice Donkey Meat" by the way.
    I googled donkey taint....I don't recommend that.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Bayarad
    Bayarad Posts: 313
    Options
    Oriental five spice makes even ass palatable!
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options

Use Sriracha.  Everything's better with Sriracha.  It's like bacon that way!

Flint, Michigan
  • Bayarad
    Bayarad Posts: 313
    Options
    Just imagine a paste made of oriental five spice and Sriracha! Two great tastes that might not taste so great together! I love my rooster sauce as well!
  • kthacher
    kthacher Posts: 155
    Options
    Well, I had stir fried donkey in Beijing. It was great. I think many in North America have a narrow view of what constitutes legit food.
    Winnipeg, Canada
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    what kind of wood would you use to smoke the donkey meat ?
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • HDumptyEsq
    Options
    Mare's Tail?

Tony in Brentwood, TN.