Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Not NPHuskerFL's typical OT Post

Options
NPHuskerFL
NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
Independence Day is quickly approaching. Which means more egging (for me I'm on call :P). But, for our furry family members this can cause extreme anxiety with the increased usage of fireworks. I tell you this friends because We lost one of our buddy's (a 16y.o. male Mal) about 2 yrs ago because the fireworks spooked him and he cleared a 6' chain link fence and was struck by an 18 wheeler (the image still haunts myself & my wife). He was not afraid of gun fire etc--we hear gun fire and booms that shake the house all the time living by Camp Blanding. Fireworks and severe thunderstorms can cause animals to act and react skittishly. Hopefully this helps some of y'all out to help your furry family members stay safe this 4th of July. Enjoy :D
LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL

Comments

• anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Sorry to hear about you dog NP even though it was awhile ago. It's never good to lose mans best friend or any other animal. Parts of the family.
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited June 2014
    Options
    @anzyegg‌ no it was devastating! Had same sort of thing happen during a hurricane many many yrs ago with a female Malinois and she sprinted over the fence and boom same thing (and she was trained around guns etc but storms freaked her out). All of our dogs from day one have been indoor dogs except outdoor activities and training. So they were never neglected. We don't mess around with it period. This is why I put this sort of public service announcement out so others could keep there friends safe.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,795
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    Good and sound advice my friend. Sorry for the loss of your pet my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @sgh Thanks. & like I said this happened a couple of yrs ago but, it is still fresh in our minds. Our girl Lili Ann is safe and sound. :)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,795
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    One can never be to safe. You gave some good advice with the holidays approaching. Nothing can ruin a good time any faster than someone getting hurt.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    Options
    Sorry to hear of you losing your buddy... To me my dog's are as important to me as my children. I accept just as much responsibility for their well being equally. It's a different relationship but they both bring great pleasure to my life. Losing either of them would cause deep sorrow. Years ago... I had a Golden Retriever, Rudy, that spooked on the 4th of July. He heard the fireworks and he took off... I immediately ran after him and of course he was much faster than I. He had tags on his collar with his name and my phone number and a chip embedded behind his neck. I desperately looked for weeks... NO RUDY! Nowhere to be found! A year later... To the day - he freaked out again and ended up at the dog pound. They scanned for a chip and called me to say... They had my dog! I immediately drove to the dog pound that was 25 miles away to pick up my buddy and when they brought him to me... He rushed right to me and HE knew he was finally home... It was a beautiful thing to see... Even the people at the pound said they had never seen such an immediate reaction after a one year detachment. Rudy and I shared many years together after that and we were never apart again for 10 more years. He passed away at 12 years old... As most dogs that size do but he and I... We did it right! We were bud's! we got each other!
  • Dawnl
    Dawnl Posts: 252
    Options
    Yes, fireworks scare the sh*t out of dogs, our bully wedged herself behind the toilet one Canada Day, that was not fun.  Every year after she was put into her crate for the night.  Thank you for reminding folks so that they can keep their dogs safe.
    Ottawa Valley, Ontario
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Watch your furry family. Please. :o3
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    edited July 2014
    Options
    We got our dog a Thunder-shirt. I thought it was a dumb idea but it works like a charm.
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    MJG said:

We got our dog a Thunder-shirt. I thought it was a dumb idea but it works like a charm.

I was going to mention thunder shirts but, I figured most people here would have no idea what I was talking about. Good call. We don't have one but, I've heard others say they've had excellent results using it on there pups. Key being they have to have it on before the storm or before the fireworks etc. Great share idea. ;-)

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I create my dogs at night, and luckily fireworks aren't that popular here. I will hear some gun shots tonight, but so far the digs have been alright.

OT also remember keep the dogs hydrated this time of year!
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    HogHeaven said:

Sorry to hear of you losing your buddy... To me my dog's are as important to me as my children. I accept just as much responsibility for their well being equally. It's a different relationship but they both bring great pleasure to my life. Losing either of them would cause deep sorrow.

Years ago... I had a Golden Retriever, Rudy, that spooked on the 4th of July. He heard the fireworks and he took off... I immediately ran after him and of course he was much faster than I. He had tags on his collar with his name and my phone number and a chip embedded behind his neck. I desperately looked for weeks... NO RUDY! Nowhere to be found!

A year later... To the day - he freaked out again and ended up at the dog pound. They scanned for a chip and called me to say... They had my dog!

I immediately drove to the dog pound that was 25 miles away to pick up my buddy and when they brought him to me... He rushed right to me and HE knew he was finally home... It was a beautiful thing to see... Even the people at the pound said they had never seen such an immediate reaction after a one year detachment.

Rudy and I shared many years together after that and we were never apart again for 10 more years. He passed away at 12 years old... As most dogs that size do but he and I... We did it right! We were bud's! we got each other!

That's why I have dogs, awesome story. I'd be heart broken if my dog Tiny had something happen to her.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,371
    Options
    My two Dobers hate them also. We stuff some Kong toys with peanut butter and freeze them. It can help take their mind off it a bit. Hopefully the neighbors didn't buy out the firework tent this year.
    Jacksonville FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Dobie‌ living out here in Da Burg the neighbors bought the tent and all the ammo. I'm pretty damn sure the last 10 or so blasts were not festival balls as I know the sound of of a 50 cal when I hear it. Funny thing is Lili Ann will go ape $hi+ crazy with lightning and fireworks if I'm not with her. But, w/ Daddy she wants to go outside and play even during WWIII type fireworks or a CAT3-5 Hurricane. If I'm with her no worries she wants to play ball ball. Yup she's crazy as bat $hi+ and fits in quite nicely to our lil family. :))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Keep your dog in. I'm sorry @ hogheaven. ..my dog isn't on the same level as my kids. I'd put my dog down in a minute...not my kids. That's asinine.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,371
    Options
    I was wondering where all the ammo went! I'm on the west side of Jax so were used to the gunshots.
    Jacksonville FL